• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Information about an Antique Parlor Stove/Heater from Jewel Stove and Range Co

Hi gang. There's such a vast wealth of knowledge on this site, I thought I'd see if any of you have insights or experience with antique parlor heaters. Last night I picked up an old parlor heater locally, and am looking for any and all information I can get about it….approx value, age, restoration tips, rarity, websites, history, etc. It’s from the Jewel Stove and Range Co by Detroit Stove Works, says ”Garnet Jewel” on the front, and “No. 1” on the back. I can get a better look at it in daylight later today. It looks to be complete, has some fancy details, mica glass window is intact, and it’s just cool! I found a Detroit Stove Works catalog from 1907 that had this model in it, so it's likely over 100 years old. Other than to find out more about it, I don’t really have any immediate plans for it. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	heater1_zpsufvkkqna.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	801020

Here's a pic I found of the same model that's in better condition:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0874.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	801021
    Last edited by Knottscott; 01-15-2016, 06:44 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Are your intentions to get it functional and use it? If so, what a suitable way of getting rid of your bo-bo cuts!

Comment

• Two Much
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Long Island, NY
      • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

I had one for many years. I used it in our living room as a decorative piece next to a chair.
      Then decided to sell it at my sisters yard sale. It was not sold, but stolen instead.

I would clean it up, shine up the brass parts, paint the black parts and use it as a decorative piece.
      I'm sure you can find a nook and cranny some place in your home where it would look good.
      Even next to your front door, with a nice small tray or bowl on top to hold your keys.

Did you look at them on eBay? Some are pretty pricey
      Also, do a search on the maker of the stove.

Joann

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'd like to get it functional at some point, but am now sure if there's a decent place to put it....we have two fireplaces downstairs already. It might do well as a decorative table.

I did see some online that commanded thousands of dollars, but most were much larger and more ornate. I grabbed it for $30, and still think it's worth at least that. If the restoration is done right, it should get more.

Thx
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...