• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

learning tower

The original idea - allows a toddler to participate in kitchen and countertop work, or at least to view safely. I guess it also allows the mom to see where there child is while they work in the kitchen.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	learning tower 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	801014

The base - an Ikea stool $15.

Name:	ikea stool.jpg
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	801015
    So I bought a stool. I thought it would be easy to clone - it was actually difficult with compound angles all over the place.
    I did make one successfully but $15 would have better deal!

The top was not so difficult. I chamfered all the corners.

She wanted one for a friend with a toddler the same age as my Grandson - 14 months.
    They're going to try some creative painting schemes, I can' t wait to see.
    I built two tops, one bottom stool, one stool from Ikea.

Name:	WP_20160101_001sm.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	801013

I'm going to add a small shelf on the front. Pictures are in my kitchen, with the shelf, the top should be about level with my daughter's reported countertop height.

Anyway, interesting project.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-01-2016, 07:18 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Cloning all angles on that would drive me nuts. I made a simple stool with compound angles and it boggled my mind with just 4 legs! I managed to visualize all 4 and finish it, but the one you have there - 6, SIX! Four of one length and two of another length. THEN, all of the braces, some with compound and some simple angle cuts. It does make you feel good when it is mastered!

Looks great!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp
      Cloning all angles on that would drive me nuts. I made a simple stool with compound angles and it boggled my mind with just 4 legs! I managed to visualize all 4 and finish it, but the one you have there - 6, SIX! Four of one length and two of another length. THEN, all of the braces, some with compound and some simple angle cuts. It does make you feel good when it is mastered!

Looks great!
      All the horizontals were single bevel.
      The verticals were compound. The two short ones have the exact same direction angles as the opposite corner long leg. So that meant cutting the back left leg and then leaving the settings the same to cut the front right legs. Then change the settings and make the back right leg and the front left legs. Keeping track of it was tough - a lot of masking tape with legends like front left bottom was the only way. Oh yeah, the bottom end of the top front leg has a single bevel, not compound like I assumed - had to make those twice. The angles were about 5.5° by my measurement so they were small enough to be confusing just looking at them. If it wasn't for the labels it would have been impossible.

And BTW, there were six vertical leg lengths as the upper and lower legs were different. And Four lengths for the eight horizontal stretchers. And measuring lengths on compound-mitered pieces is not the easiest thing to do either! You get different lengths on all four corners of the leg.

All in all, it was an education.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-01-2016, 07:16 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Name:	WP_20160101_020sm.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	787535Satisfied customer
        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Cool idea. I like the little shelf added to the top/front. It should keep fingers from getting pinched.

Good thing you ohmed them out before putting them into service. Safety first!
          JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JR

Good thing you ohmed them out before putting them into service. Safety first!
            Haha, too many projects going on at the same time!
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here's what it looked like after daughter applied paint and stain finishing:

Name:	20160203_111638_001_resized.jpg
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	787600
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Now that's a very neat project indeed.

A few decades ago when our little guy was curious about what his Mom was doing in the kitchen, she'd have to sit him in his high chair or a bit later move everything to the kitchen table so he could participate. A stool like this would have been ideal and a lot less worrisome in having him participate.

I very much enjoyed the recent series of Top Chef Junior, and was absolutely astounded with the knowledge and skill of those kids... the top winners being just nine years old. Quite surprising was the often mention that they started cooking when they were barely five and six. I wonder if they had a platform/stool similar to this, in which to get started. If not, then something like this could launch a whole to batch of young chefs.

Thanks for the Post,

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...