• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Tiny Table III #3

This table uses some more of the 3 crooked, warped and cupped Black Gum Tupelo boards that I was able to mill out enough scantlins to cobble together another table from these beautiful boards. The legs are round 1 1/4 X 5/8" x 24" long and consist of a glued up stack of 3 thin strips and is the first Tiny Table legs I've turned. This dried wood does not turn well and turning this long of a piece creates quite a pucker factor when it starts to chatter. I also tried to turn a 1" X 1/2" X 28" leg but It was so flexible I shelved that project for later. The shelf is 3/4" X 1/2" and 1" X 3/16" pieces.

capncarl
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	800981Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	800982
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Lovely wood! Very nice work

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Neat!

You seem to have acquired expertise on this style of table! They look shiny enough to be mass-manufactured, but with real class!

How long did it take you to make this?
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Very nice indeed. When I get done with my huge table I think I will take a leaf out of your book and make something smaller...

How did you tenon the spindle legs? Also on the lathe?
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

How much time? The last 4-5 Tiny Tables that I have built have all been experimental to see how it looked, how the customers respond to them and trying to figure out different techniques to build and joint. Most of my time is spent preping the wood. I've probably invested 40 man hours in milling, planing, sawing and glueing up the first 3 boards. I'll probably be able to get 4 tables out of these boards. This table took about 12 man hours to build and finish, 6 of which was turning the legs. I tried to turn the legs (1 1/4" X 5/8" X 24" ) with a "knot" in each leg that I could form to meet each shelf stretcher to give it a look that it was all one piece. Way too much work doing that and would have probably ended up messing up a leg and throwing them all out. If I could find this wood in good flat and straight condition and not warped, cupped and crooked I believe this table could be built in 6-8 man hours. Not much profit here but it is good experience and gives me a chance to do something I like. I get some requests for larger tables and furniture but I decline the request because I don't want to deal with builds that I can not pick up and move around by myself. There is definitely better money in larger tables though, the one I built for Christmas last year sells for over 1k at several local shops, when they can get one in stock.

The legs are not tennoned, they are doweled. The top of each leg is cut offset 4 degrees X 4 degrees, the bottom of the table has a socket hole cut 1 1/4" for each leg. I drill a 1/8 hole through the top of the table into the center of each socket hole which lines up with lathe center hole in each leg and I fasten the leg with a 2" screw. This is just to get the legs angle fitted perfect and the stretcher shelf fitted. After everything is fitted and glued I remove and glue the legs back in the socket and reinstall the screw. Next day I remove the screw, drill out the hole into the leg and install a 3/4" X 2" dowel. My tests showed that this held up better than a thru tennoned legs where the table top would split or the leg would just pop out. This meathod the leg would split at the table socket but would not break without several good whacks against the floor. This meathod is a lot easier than trying to bore the table top at 4 degrees X 4degrees and making the tendon on the end of the leg.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Love the grain on that - well done! If you have any pen blank sized off cuts I bet they'd make great pens as well.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...