• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Belkin Customer Service Rant

I just wasted 35 minutes on the phone to Belkin technical support for them to determine my iPad keyboard case failed, it is under warranty, but they best they can do is provide a credit for half the original purchase price only good on the Belkin site. There is no excuse for customer service that is this bad.

The product was only $140.00 so it isn't going to break the bank, but even with a $70.00 credit, I' still have to spend another $40 or so to even get close to the functionality I had.
    Chr's
    Established Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Penn Hills, PA
    • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Does their warranty allow that sort of satisfaction? That seems unusual. Most warranties say "repair or replace, at manufacturer's discretion."

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002

Finding any information on their warranty at all was a challenge. Basically, bullet number 2 cancels bullet number one.

• Belkin's sole liability and the exclusive remedy, for any acknowledged defect(s), shall be the repair or replacement of the product in question.
      • Replacements are processed upon product availability.

Their reasoning was that because they have none in stock and the item is discontinued, a credit met their obligation.

I instead ordered a competitor's product and have written off Belkin. I have no problem with products failing occasionally, it happens even with the best products. I have a serious problem with companies that have poor customer service.
      Chr's

Comment

• os1kne
        • Jan 2003
        • Atlanta, GA
        • BT3100

So, basically if a manufacturer makes a crappy product they simply stop making it. Once they either sell or trash the remaining stock, they are no longer obligated to the customers that purchased the crappy product.

If the manufacturer identifies a fix for the problem that made the product crappy - new products get a new model number.

It's very irritating.
        Bill

Comment

• All Thumbs
          Established Member
          • Oct 2009
          • Penn Hills, PA
          • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by twistsol
          Finding any information on their warranty at all was a challenge. Basically, bullet number 2 cancels bullet number one.

• Belkin's sole liability and the exclusive remedy, for any acknowledged defect(s), shall be the repair or replacement of the product in question.
          • Replacements are processed upon product availability.

Their reasoning was that because they have none in stock and the item is discontinued, a credit met their obligation.

I instead ordered a competitor's product and have written off Belkin. I have no problem with products failing occasionally, it happens even with the best products. I have a serious problem with companies that have poor customer service.
          That sounds crappy and probably not worth a fight but I think I'd call them back and tell them your warranty said repair or replace and nothing about offering a partial credit. Tell them you are going to contact your state's attorney general's office and file a complaint regarding their failure to honor their warranty.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Aside from cables, I stopped buying Belkin tech products more than 15 years ago when their quality really started slipping. Never looked back.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by os1kne
              If the manufacturer identifies a fix for the problem that made the product crappy - new products get a new model number.
              That appears to be the case here. They have another product that looks identical, has the same features, price, and description but a new part number.
              Chr's

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

I too would give them another call and state their warranty to them. AND, I wouldn't hesitate to mention your state AG office. I can't speak for Minnesota but here in NY the AG is a viable step to take.

For example, several years ago I had a problem with Rockler, not a warranty issue, but regarding a so-called sale on clamps in which they alleged to have a "limited stock". I called to take advantage of the sale and because it was late in the week, I inquired about the availability of the particular item number. Was told it was in stock and I then placed my order for four. They gave me the list price and I reminded them that it was on sale, and was quickly told that they were out of stock on those. "Wait, it's the same item is it not?" They gave me some gibberish about Yes, but it's not the same as the item on sale, which they were out of.

Two more calls, each confirming the item was in stock and available and then being told the sale item was out of stock. Finally I talked to a supervisor and found out that they actually set aside a specific amount for the sale and the remaining supply is at regular price. Basically that's a variable on the old sham of "bait and switch" which is a totally bogus method of business. I called the my state AG and they agreed with me. They in turn contacted the state in which Rockler was operating and their AG also agreed. Bottom line is I got the clamps at the sale price, but since have been very hesitant about doing business with Rockler.

I have no idea why legitimate businesses get these weird ideas on how they can operate or treat their customers poorly, but it's not right. Your state AG's office really can be a big help in getting such things straightened out on your behalf.

The way your warranty states, you have specific rights. A lack of a part or interpretation by one of their employee's does not trump the warranty. At best they owe you a full refund, a complete replacement of that model (although that might be a factory refurbished item), or even the new replacement product. Either way, you have every right to a complete fix of your product, not a partial refund.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Customer service seems to be declining nearly everywhere. I had some issues with Garmin recently. If we don't stand up for our rights under a contract on the small stuff it will only get worse.
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                    Customer service seems to be declining nearly everywhere. I had some issues with Garmin recently. If we don't stand up for our rights under a contract on the small stuff it will only get worse.
                    Dang it Mark, that is too good a point to ignore. Looks like I'm back to the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Chr's

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by twistsol
                      Dang it Mark, that is too good a point to ignore. Looks like I'm back to the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I know! That is another reason it makes me mad when I receive poor service. Not only do I end up feeling cheated out of my money but also my time. Often my feedback to C/S folks is an effort for them to be able to communicate to their supervisors ways to fix the real problem.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • BT-3000, 21829

Did you try going up the food chain?

I'm officially an old fart now that I'm 70 and I enjoy helping companies keep me as a customer.

I learned early on in my sales career that the first person you talk to in any company is most often the lowest paid person.

By talking to a supervisor you are helping him/her/it solve the problem.

Keeping calm and persistence help a lot. I also make sure that I explain to the person that I'm talking to that this isn't their fault.

I'm simply trying to help both of us win.

I just had three prolonged conversations with Apple customer service regarding their making good on one of their products.

None of my above tactics worked!

Apple is the most hide-bound illogical companies I've ever dealt with. Luckily, I'm a Windows guy. I was just trying to help out an elderly friend and Apple made sure doing a favor back-fired.
                        You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                        of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• os1kne
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Atlanta, GA
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                          I agree completely. It's good to share experiences like this. I think that consumers often receive treatment like this and simply suck it up and move on, buying another product. (I know that I've been guilty of this.) The more this happens, the more acceptable bad customer service becomes to more businesses (and the more difficult it is for businesses with good customer service to compete and survive).
                          Bill

Comment

• woodturner
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Western Pennsylvania
                            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
                            Finally I talked to a supervisor and found out that they actually set aside a specific amount for the sale and the remaining supply is at regular price. Basically that's a variable on the old sham of "bait and switch" which is a totally bogus method of business.
                            That practice is actually common, legitimate, and legal. As long as they state "limited quantities" or "while supplies last" or similar language in the ad, they can legally limit quantities. Essentially every store does that for Black Friday.

I called the my state AG and they agreed with me.
                            That's odd - maybe you talked to a CS person or complaint writer type person. Normally the AG will not offer a legal opinion at all, and they will only "mediate" individual complaints. They will take legal action if there are enough different complaints to make a case or show a pattern of behavior.

Bottom line is I got the clamps at the sale price, but since have been very hesitant about doing business with Rockler.
                            Rockler just made a good will adjustment for you as a courtesy. If they had not, the AG would have told you that you could sue them if you want, but have no other recourse.

I have no idea why legitimate businesses get these weird ideas on how they can operate or treat their customers poorly, but it's not right. Your state AG's office really can be a big help in getting such things straightened out on your behalf.
                            Neither weird, unusual, or illegal as noted. All retailers do it, it's the norm for the "modern consumer". If you want that to change, the only real option is to write letters to the retailers and stop shopping there. If enough people do it, they may listen.

Or come up with a good hashtag. #RockerSalesShortages?
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• woodturner
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Western Pennsylvania
                              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by os1kne
                              I think that consumers often receive treatment like this and simply suck it up and move on, buying another product.
                              I agree, that has become the current business model, but it is because that is what customers want. It may not be what us older folks want, but the dominant demographic for a great many products is the 20 to 40 year olds. They have grown up in an era when nothing was repairable and no one knew how to repair it even if it was. Their stereotypical mentality is just throw it away and buy a new one, so CS and warranties and repairs are of no interest.

Businesses exist to make money, and they do that by catering to the demographics of their largest subset(s) of customers. If customers are not using CS essentially at all, a company can do better by effectively eliminating CS and either reduce cost or add features to the product. Most customers do want that "something for nothing" and rarely if ever even use CS.

I'm not in that demographic but I don't remember the last time I contacted CS. I buy online a lot, where there is generally no CS available, and if I buy something with a value of $30 or less, even the hassle of returning it is a waste of time. Locally I will return products that have issues, but can't remember the last time I need to do or tried a warranty claim - it has been at least a decade.
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...