• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lombard
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2004
    • Merritt Island, FL

Garage Cabinets

So, I've been working off and on most of this year to finally organize my garage/shop. I haven't had a lot of experience building furniture grade projects, and this was my very first swing at face frame cabinets. Since they're for my garage, I constructed them primarily of 1/2" flooring grade plywood (who cares about surface finish in a garage?). Lots of work with my dado blade to build the carcasses. Face frames and door rails/stiles are all poplar. The door panels are 1/4" ply. Face frames are all butt jointed with pocket holes and the face frames are secured to the cabinet carcasses with pocket holes as well. They got painted with the odd blue color because it was available in the "oops" paint selection at my local BORG, and it looked much more gray in the store (can't argue with getting a $30 gallon of paint for $8).

Had a lot of frustration hanging them because it turns out all the interior walls of my garage are steel stud construction, with the stud spacing varying all over the board (anywhere from 8" on center to 24" on center). Anchored them the best I could with #10 self tapping sheet metal screws and the occasional toggle bolts.

Still have more organization to do (obviously) and I'm planning some peg board sliding panels below the shorter wall cabinets in the four cabinet cluster.

Overall, it was a pretty fun project. Glad I finally got around to organizing the garage. Ought to make future projects easier...joys of sharing space in a garage between cars and tools.

• trungdok
    Established Member
    • Oct 2012
    • MA

I like the blue. What's the name of it?

Comment

• lombard
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2004
      • Merritt Island, FL

Originally posted by trungdok
      I like the blue. What's the name of it?
      No clue. Believe it was a custom mix that a customer returned.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Nice job, they have a nice clean look to them.

Did you just come up with them off-hand or did you dimension them to fit your tool needs?

No room in my garage for such things at present, but maybe next summer when I get it a bit cleaned out. I've got a 12 x 20 shed on order (Amish-built) that will be located in my back yard, next to the garage for use as a new shop. I've got to get the tools out of the basement so that I can get back to work.

Once I get it wired, insulated and dry-walled, those kind of cabinets would be a useful project for wall storage in and around the power tool placement.

Thanks for the post,

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Those are some very nice looking cabinets. It's a lot easier to clean the shop if things have a place to go. They make a nice home for your tools.
          Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I like the blue, too. You did a nice job on them.

Comment

• lombard
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2004
              • Merritt Island, FL

Originally posted by cwsmith
              Nice job, they have a nice clean look to them.

Did you just come up with them off-hand or did you dimension them to fit your tool needs?
              Pretty much winged it. Did some quick measurements of my ABS cases for those tools to size them (and even then, my circular saw case barely fits).

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Looks good. Wish I had done built in tool case storage when I did cabinets for the Playpen several years ago.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

That looks really nice and organzied. Great work!
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Looks good to me. CAme out looking very handsome.
                    Love the antique Drill Press.
                    No more tools in ABS cases for you though, looks like you have no more room!
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lombard
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Merritt Island, FL

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      Love the antique Drill Press.
                      No more tools in ABS cases for you though, looks like you have no more room!
                      Yeah, I inherited some good tools when my grandfather passed. Have an old Unisaw, the old drill press, and an old 6" jointer. All in great working order some 60-70 years after they were produced.

And i also have a ridiculous number of new(er) tools in ABS cases.

Comment

Working...