• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

New Shop

With the mortgage paid off I may finally be able to get the new shop built. Thinking about going a different route than a solid slab.

A local company quoted me under $2900 for 19 floor joists delivered on site. I am going to get contact info for concrete contractors familiar with the slab and foundations for steel buildings and have them give me estimates for both a solid slab and for footings with a knee wall to support the building level with the top of the joists.

I will figure in T&G OSB and some cheap laminate flooring to the cost of the joist route. If the total is close to the same as a slab, I will go that route since the floor would be easier on the feet and legs.

Thoughts?
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

There are advantages both ways, I think. The slab is probably cheaper and certainly able to carry more weight. But if you don't have any really heavy tools that may not be a significant advantage. A crawl space gives you continuing access for wiring and DC changes. I never have felt a slab was hard to stand on but other do. Letting cost decide it seems reasonable to me.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

My shop build was to be 2/3 slab and 1/3 wood floor. The wood floor was to have 16" crawl space intended for dust collector piping and wiring to large equipment.
      capncarl

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

My shop has 1/2 slap and 1/2 plywood flooring. The plywood is much easier to stand on, but the slab requires no maintenance at all. If my building were taller, I would have the plywood area filled in and then a 1/2 to 1" "skim" coat poured to level everything. The slab was not poured level...it was originally intended as a garage only.
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Pappy, I guess it really depends on how much the difference is. IMHO if its a lot of $$s I would rather spend it on tools :-)

I used to work out of my garage which was concrete and now have my dedicated show that is built on joists/plywood floor. I can say that it does seem easier on my feet, legs and knees. When I spent a full day in the garage I did feel it.

However with that said, you can always use the foam matting which works really well and if there are places where you stand for a long time (Bench/Lathe) there are those gel filled mats you can buy now and they are awesome. The other option would be to add flooring on to the concrete which could be cushioned laminate or plywood raised on 1x furring strips or similar.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• Hellrazor
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Abyss, PA
            • Ridgid R4512

I am not sure on the pricing today. But a concrete pad was cheaper than wood/plywood floor & proper pillars 3' deep when we did some work for someone 10 years ago.

Comment

• Eric
              • Jun 2003
              • Cocolalla, ID
              • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

I like the wood floors I have for the ease of having the electrical and DC for my stationary table saw, and the option of adding more at another time, plus I find it easier on my feet.

Comment

Working...