• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

New Lathe and stuff - Gloat warning

So as some of you may have seen yesterday I was deciding whether to buy a whole wood turning package from somebody who was selling everything due to health reasons. I did pull the trigger and met with the guy who was really nice and has already been helpful helping me figure out what everything is. He didn’t want to spend ages parting it out so offered it for a great price for everything. I had planned on getting a basic lathe and tools later in the year and had budgeted approx. $350 to get me started. This deal was twice that but I know I got more than my money’s worth

Here is what was included for the princely sum of $700

Nova Comet II Midi Lathe

Penn State’s Barracuda 2 TN plated special edition which seems to have a bunch of special jaws.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	csc3000ctn3_grande.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	800932

In addition to everything that comes with the Barracuda 2 there is 3” faceplate, 2 live centers & 1 drive center, plus 2 pen mandrels and 3 hollow mandrel savers.

Toolwize there is two of the Easy Wood Tools chisels with the carbide inserts, 2 Benjamin’s Best Carbide chisels and a Henry Taylor 3/8 gouge

There is a whole bunch of bushings for different styles of pens, razors and brushes and the following kits and accessories:
    • Pen assembly press
    • Pen blank drilling center vise
    • 2 pen mill sets
    • 10 pepper mill mechanisms
    • 6 razor/brush stand kits with 3 brushes
    • Some makeup mirrors and pill box kits
    • 10 bottle stopper kits

In terms of pen blanks there must be at least 80 blanks including some olivewood, various exotics, multi colored acrylics and some “Jack Daniels” blanks

There are 2 totes full of turning blanks and other wood, not sure exactly whats in there but you can see the pics. There is one good sized piece of ironwood that still has a $94 price tag on it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	wood.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	800933

In addition to all the turning stuff, he also had some old (very) antique redwood boards (approx. 30bd ft) that he threw in. There is also a Bosch 1811PS grinder he used for carving that he included with a King Arthur, Holey Galahad disc and 4” chain saw blade.

I originally was thinking more in terms of bowl making rather than pens etc but am pretty happy with all this and am sure I will be asking you guys a bunch of turning questions pretty soon.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Jon,
    My "you suck" was in the other thread, so here I'll just say:
    TURN IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT.

Because you did. Awesome deal. Now waiting to see the magic happen.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

You followed my suggestion that's cool enjoy you can gloat but u suck. That is some nice looking stuff. That was a deal you just couldn't pass up, you would have kicked you self forever.

Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Looks like fun!
        Seems like a good deal.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...