• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

What finish to keep white maple white?

My computer-table-top will be edged with 2" wide maple. It's not figured - just plain light colored. For sake of aesthetics I want to keep the color light, to contrast with the dark mahogany plywood top.

So how do I finish the maple? I was thinking of sealing it with clear Shellac (Zinsser sealcoat, maybe), and a hard top coat like Crystalac poly-oxide.

Any comments?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

I was going to suggest a polyurethane/acrylic finish as they typically dry clear and don't yellow with time. It looks like you are already going in that direction.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Ditto. Test it on a sample and see if the color is to your liking. No matter what you apply, its going to look a bit different color wise, but since you will treat the mahogany with the same finish, the contrast should remain equal.

Are we getting a pic to go with this radhak??
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Yes, I should add a photograph. I know how satisfying it is to see a picture when answering such questions :-)

So I went to HD, and found that they sell the Sealcoat only online! The regular Shellac warns not to put under poly, so I gotta wait, or think alternatives.

And now I am wondering if I need the shellac at all, or I could just put the Crystalac right on the wood.

I also saw this just now - 3 years old article, but I've heard the author's name before : Shellac as a sealer? It’s all just hype

Any thoughts?
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

For the trim in our house, I've used nitrocellulose lacquer over bare maple which yellows in a couple of years. I switched to water based Crystalac over bare maple and have seen almost no color change in 5-6 years.
          Chr's

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Wow, Chr's! That matches exactly! If your trim has withstood the weather, my table top has nothing to fear!
            - Aristotle

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

This is trim IN our house, nothing outside.
              Chr's

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Aah, ok.

But still, matches my situation, somewhat - and I guess that while a table-top is liable to be scuffed up more than door trim, the color issue is not impacted.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

My first instinct was to suggest poly like you did, however in my experience most poly has a slight yellowing effect. I personally prefer the aged maple look anyway, so this isn't an issue for my projects. I got a cheap Chinese guitar recently for my wife to play, that has what they call a "vintage tinted" maple finish that takes that look to extremes. I have heard the color called "nuclear orange"... Something to be avoided for srue!

Were it not for expansion / contraction of the maple, an automotive acrylic clear coat would sure do the trick. Most auto parts shops, and even Walmart carry the "Duplicolor" brand clear coat in a rattle can, and in a pour can to be thinned and sprayed with a gun. I have a pending project that I am considering somewhat conservatively (I am in NO hurry to need to do this project, more on that in another thread) that this would be perfect for...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002

Crystalac is an extremely hard finish as far as clear coats go. They also have an extra hard version for flooring which I imagine would hold up even better. I've applied it unthinned with my four stage HVLP Fuji sprayer and have had excellent results.
                    Chr's

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

The reason for the shellac first is to seal the wood and act as a sanding sealer - i.e. fill the pores and minor imperfections while making it easy to do a final sand. Its also cheaper than using your primary finish as a sanding sealer, which you could, just not as easy to sand. I am sure the shellac is going to dry faster too. Depends on your wallet and time frame - once you open the can either starts to age so if you think you will have plenty of leftover of your primary finish with no other projects coming up, just buy the primary finish.
                      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...