• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

I set the download location in Chrome. I tell it to let me decide where it goes.
    It wants to put it in C drive as default. In my computer, that is an SSD, so I have a large D drive for file storage etc. Chrome lets you choose though. Not sure about the new MS browser. Edge. I haven't used it much.
    Lee

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Yes, it was the new Microsoft "Edge" that I was talking about... no choice there that I can see. The old Windows Explorer and Google will allow that, but apparently the Microsoft designers have once again decided that users shouldn't have certain choices.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Yep.
        That sounds par for the course with MS.
        Lee

Comment

• Black walnut
          Administrator
          • Aug 2015
          • BT3K

I'm with you about an aversion to cloud storage. I do not use it. Banks and every industry that might be less secure than banks have had security breaches. I trust a cloud storage that is free with the use of a platform not at all. Seriously what recourse do you have if your data is compromised?
          just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

I am still running XP on my desktop. Will 10 install with this? If not, what are my options? Thanks!
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I believe that with XP, the upgrade is a wipe and reinstall from scratch as it was when upgrading from XP to Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8. It is unlikely that a computer that shipped with Windows XP would run Windows 10 at all let alone well. My father in law was in the same position about a month ago and I picked up a refurbished Windows 7 HP system for him from Tiger Direct for less than $200.00.

Normally I would recommend that if it still works, keep using it, but since Microsoft stopped issuing security patches for XP well over a year ago, it is a risky proposition. It may be time for a new computer.
              Chr's

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

Thanks, that's what I thought. I hate to drop much money into it, so I guess a new computer goes on my want list - behind a lot of tools, of course!
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Black walnut
                  Bump.

Those that changed are you glad you did? Has it been worth it in the months since?
                  For the most part, Windows 10 has been an absolute dream compared to the nightmare that was Windows 8 / 8.1.

The only issue I have had is one that popped up for other folks on 7, 8, and 8.1, and that is an execution error on certain binaries, specifically error code 0xc000007b. I believe there might be a Microsoft Hot Fix out there for it that is unpublished. I need to call MS and see what I can do about it. It is keeping me from running Rocksmith 2014 on my PC.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I've been on Windows 10 for about a month now, having upgraded from Windows 8.1, and so far I can't say it was worth the effort. As mentioned earlier, downloads from Windows 10 'Edge' cannot be directed to a specific directory. Everything automatically goes to the "Download" directory and I have to then transfer it to the desired directory.

No change in software programs (AKA "Apps") so don't yet know if my older, preferred programs will work. But I have got a couple of flaws with my latest version of Corel Draw, which had to be purchased to run with Windows 8.1. No fix has been published for that yet.

The old Windows icon is back for "Start" and "Shutdown", but just when I was getting used to mousing up to the right upper corner in order to shutdown. No big deal there.

Still getting a bit of sluggishness with the system though. Not sure why that is.

Personally, I wish the heck that Microsoft would just debug their operating systems, make them more efficient, and stop messing around with the interface. I hate having to re-learn everything every time they come out with a new issue of their latest operating system. Stuff gets moved around, hidden, or worse buried so that the user can't do stuff that they've been doing for the last two decades. I really hate their interference under the guise of making things easier.... believe me, it's not easier at all, it's just MS interference.

(It's like buying a new car to find that you no longer can start the thing with a turn of the key, find the light dimmer on the dash, or locate where they've now put the radio on/off and volume controls. Or finding the steering is now done with two floor pedals and the accelerator and brakes are done with pressure points on the seat that you activate with your butt cheeks.) Please... just leave the bloody user interface alone.

Worse perhaps is that I'm getting the feeling that nobody uses a computer for work anymore. All the apps seem to be oriented toward social media, games, music, photo, etc. and the GUI has to operate like a smart phone with touch screens, cloud sharing, etc.

So while I listen to all the hype about how Windows 10 is going to change the world, I have yet to see any of that!!!

CWS
                    Last edited by cwsmith; 11-19-2015, 04:06 PM.
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• RAFlorida
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                      • Ryobi BT3000

+1 with 'cwsmith' about M$ and their messing things up when they bring out a "new" os. I use Linux on one of my old machines, but it won't work with some of the programs I use in windows. I know about Wine and other apps, but still their are some programs that it won't take.
                      M$ was ok back in the day when they brought out XP. But now, it's a total headache to learn. For now I am keeping with 7 for what I do.

Comment

Working...