• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

2 cycle gas blower help

I've got this Weedeater gas blower I'm having issues with. I wasn't able to start it last fall to run the gas through so it sat until now. I just got fresh gas, mixed up the oil, and after lots of pulling, got it to start.

Then I noticed a stray spark and then some more float out of the lower right side (area covered by black plastic cage)--don't know what it's called. Although I had it at full run, it wasn't at full speed and sometimes sputtered. I also noticed that metal cover inside the black cage was glowing orange. I don't know if that's normal or not.

Anyway, rather than risk catastrophe, I shut it down. So what's going on? It's not the world's most expensive blower, but since it does run, I want to keep it that way. It's also possible the original spark plug is not installed. When I looked at it last week, I swapped another spark plug in its place. I think the new one is slightly longer and from what I saw online, the longer insulator means it runs hotter (?). The other spark plug appears to be dead according to my multimeter, and im pretty sure the other plug is in. Sorry, I'm combustion engine challenged.

Thanks
    Paul
    Attached Files
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I think that is the muffler that is glowing. I ould be running lean. or there are carbon deposits that are buring in there. I would put the correct spark plug in and check everything you can probably go online and download a repair/trobule shooting mnual for it or at leest get some help diagnosing ithe issues. It could need nothing more that a good cleaning of the fuel system maybe run some thing trough it to clean the carbon out of the cylinder and valves, I know it doeesn't have conventionl vlves like a 4 stroke but it is probably just gunked up. Good luck keep us posted

Tom

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I agree with TB. Sounds like it is running lean. That and the spark plug too long. With carbon build up on top of the piston, it could cause sparks and especially if the spark plug is a little too deep. The lean running sounds like carb may be somewhat gunked up if settings haven't been messed with.

I have the same blower and have had it 3 years. It has been the easiest of all my gas motors to start - outside of my huskvarna push mower.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

OK, like I said, I'm not good with combustion engines. "Lean" means it's getting too much air and not enough gas? I did have to remove the foam air filter to get it started, but I think I changed too many variables at once (spark plug, gas, filter) so I'm not absolutely sure that's what finally got it to turn over. I'm pretty sure it was the new gas that finally got it going.

I'll verify that the "new" spark plug is in place and if so, buy a replacement that meet the original specs. From what I saw on YouTube, I think this model uses the "Zama" carburetor. If the new, new spark plug doesn't solve it, then I'll look at replacing/rebuilding the carb.

Hank, I have 3 gas motors. My Craftsman mower with B&S engine needs one pull. My Craftsman weed whacker needs a few more pulls but runs well. This one has always required the most work.

Thanks,
        Paul

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Lean means more air less fuel which also means it is running hotter that and a hotter plug just adds to the problem. Correct plug, clean air filter and good fuel/oil mix you should be good to go. Two Strokes can be fun. If it is hard to start try Diesel starter fluid. spay a little at the air cleaner just helps it fire don't need much as it is Ether Any auto supply store carries it

Tom

Tom

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            From what I saw on YouTube, I think this model uses the "Zama" carburetor. If the new, new spark plug doesn't solve it, then I'll look at replacing/rebuilding the carb.
            Thanks,
            Paul
            I have a 15 year old Huskvarna 16 inch chain saw. The fuel tube inside the tank cracked. It was a minor pain to replace. In the midst of all of this, I have been reading about the ethanol problems of the last several years causing problems in old carbs not made for ethanol. With that in mind, I decided to replace the carb with a new one, which wasn't too expensive. BIG mistake. I couldn't get it cranked at all. I didn't know which way to go with the individual adjustments. Took it to a Huskvarna shop and they fixed it and sent me a note: "Why didn't you mention that you changed the carb out. It would have saved us a few minutes figuring out the problem! Needed adjusting"

Edited in: In my small home town, there is just one station that sells non-ethanol gas. I have been using that exclusively since about a year ago for my 2 cycle engines and even 4 cycle lawn mowers & garden tractor since I read about the corrosion that ethanol can cause in carbs not made for it.

IN 2 cycle engines - I have 2 chain saws, a hedge trimmer, a blower, and a weed eater. I sure like the freedom of being uncorded!
            Last edited by leehljp; 05-11-2015, 02:01 PM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I'm about .5" from buying the drill attachment to crank my TroyBilt gas trimmer. It's new and cranks good, for now, but like the others I've owned eventually you have to warm them up from friction by pulling the rope. Looks like the cats meow for that.
              capncarl

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

Another thing to check is the air cleaner. It is a little foam block somewhere near the carberator. When my mower doesn't run right, it is usually the air cleaner. I pull it, tap it against something hard to knock the dirt off and put it back. Makes a big difference.

I've had mixed gas gunk up in my boat motor once or twice. I get an spray can of carberator cleaner and spray it through every passage I can find and then put the carb back. It has worked.

I have that blower too. Starts OK. I find my 2 cycles can hardly get enough gas to start when cold. My Husky string trimmer has molded in instructions telling you to choke it, prime it, and pull it a few times then move it to a mid-choke position. I think your blower has a primer, you might try bumping it with the engine running and see if it runs better. If so, you will have comfirmed it is running lean.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

So....I think I found the reason for the sparks. Substitute plug on the left. Original/bad plug on the right. Picked up a new plug from HD and now it's running smoothly.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Paul
                  Attached Files

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

The new plug looks like it is hotter than what you had in there! I always try to start up my 2cycles for the year with the canned gas. It's suppose to be higher octane and premixed.
                    capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I've been having issues with this blower again. Last week I pulled the spark plug, cleaned the contacts, and was able to get going again. I noticed the ceramic near the two contacts was pretty discolored. Yesterday I couldn't even get it started after A LOT of pulling. I bought a replacement plug at HD this morning and after the usual startup routine, it started again. This blower doesn't get used a whole bunch and it's only been 5+ months since I last changed the plug. This isn't common, right? What else is going on?

Thanks
                      Paul

Comment

• mpc
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Cypress, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

What color is the plug ceramic? The color is a good read on what's going on during combustion. If you felt the need to clean the spark plug, then the unit is likely running really rich (way too much fuel relative to the air), has too much or the wrong oil in the gas+oil mix, or the mechanism that adjusts timing (if there is one, not all two-strokes have one) is jammed leading to spark happening at the wrong time which in turn leads to lousy combustion.

Gas evaporates. For gas+oil mixes, common on 2-strokes, the gas evaporates more than the oil leaving an excessive-oil mix when you go to start the unit after months of sitting. Any gas in the carb from the last shut-down typically will evaporate faster than what's in the gas tank... then when you go to start (after it's been sitting a while) that oil gums up the tiny passages inside the carb and then oil fouls the spark plug. Spray cans of carburetor cleaner (any auto parts store, Walmarts, etc) can clean that oil-fouled plug and help the carb if you can get to it. Removing the air filter may give you a straight shot into the carb. Draining the fuel tank, and then running the engine until it sputters to a stop to empty the carb, should help for the next long-term storage.

mpc
                        Last edited by mpc; 11-22-2015, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...