X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Recent projects

Well, the shop has gone from being replaced, to no money for it, to perhaps entertaining the possibility again. I still don't really have the money to replace the structure, but I will get help prepping the ground for it and another equity-building project. While the outside of the shop is the worst it's ever been, the inside is perhaps the best.

If you've read my Festool thread (which will get an update soon), I've gotten myself a few of the systainers and the tools that come in them. Plus a few more to store my own stuff. Those needed a home. I built this sysport bases on a model called Chaos Theory by Guido Henn. It is a bit less than 7' high in total, sitting on Ikea kitchen cabinet legs. All the systainers are on drawers, and there are adjustable shelves above. Right now it holds eight systainers, but I need room for at least three more right now, much less for future expansion. Another may be in the cards.

I also finally built storage underneath my workbench. Socket set, drawer of random stuff, drawer o' fasteners to this point. Will fill it out as the days go by. I've made myself a huge pile of scrap to break down, and then it will be time to make a decision on how best to save space with the miter saw, a redesign (potentially) of the router table, and a few more finer touches.

Some recent pictures. Starting with a couple weeks ago. Warning, 56K.

Putting the hot melt edge banding on with my new travel iron.

Building the sysports.

Lower portion done, awaiting drawers.

Upper portion done.

Cutting the drawer sides and fronts.

Testing...

Yay!

Workbench cabinet - gap left for holdfasts to work.

Socket drawer - still brilliant.

Fastener drawer in-progress.

I have a little blog about my shop
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Great looking storage! I bet you have a very tidy shop when all that stuff is put away...
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Great job. I especially love how you incorporated the socket set in the systainer. I've been looking for a place to store mine, besides what ever open space is left on my assembly table.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Nice work on the storage. I had no idea Ryobi sold a shop fan. And what are those side push clamps you have in the dogs holes? They look interesting.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
          • Dec 2005
          • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
          • Grizzly G1023SL

Very nice organization with the cabinetry!
          "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
          Bade Millsap
          Bulverde, Texas
          => Bade's Personal Web Log
          => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
            Great looking storage! I bet you have a very tidy shop when all that stuff is put away...
            It's starting to get that way. The cleaner the shop is, the more room I seem to have.

Originally posted by jussi
            Great job. I especially love how you incorporated the socket set in the systainer. I've been looking for a place to store mine, besides what ever open space is left on my assembly table.
            The socket set is a Kobalt I picked up a couple of Christmases ago on clearance. It's on a simple piece of plywood with drawer slides and a couple of stops screwed to it to secure the case. I just pull on the case handle to bring it out.

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            Nice work on the storage. I had no idea Ryobi sold a shop fan. And what are those side push clamps you have in the dogs holes? They look interesting.
            Ryobi actually has three, if you can believe it. The green one there is the second version, the first was much larger and in their old blue color. The third version looks just like the second one there except that not only does it accept batteries, but now has a plug as well. I've been waiting for them to take the lead from the modding community and go with a hybrid approach for a few tools. Even though I don't really buy Ryobi anymore, and really only use the fan and the drills, I welcomed the addition of the hybrid fan. I might pick it up, although a better purchase would be a window AC unit.

The clamps in the MFT are called clamping elements, and unfortunately they are not cheap. However, they do sit below most stock that I work with and allow me to sand and rout without much worry about hitting them. They worked really well for holding the plywood when I was edge banding it as well. They come in an eight-piece package: two adjustable clamps, two stops and four knobs that attach underneath the MFT. I think I'll be buying a couple more stops and clamps through EKAT. The stops are really nice for using with the Domino.

How I'm using the clamps here is as an adjustable stop for repeatable narrow cuts off the rail, as a substitute for parallel guides. It's not perfect, but if you can be happy with a cut within about an eighth of an inch, it works fine. I'm sure I could dial it in perfectly if it was needed, but the drawer slide supports I was making didn't depend on it.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

Looks nice. I am still resisting the koolaid but I like the storage ideas.

My shop walls are waferboard and yours appear to be too. This may be too hard to implement at this point but I skim coat mine with drywall mud and then paint them white with cheap ceiling paint. It really brightens up the space.

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by JimD

My shop walls are waferboard and yours appear to be too. This may be too hard to implement at this point but I skim coat mine with drywall mud and then paint them white with cheap ceiling paint. It really brightens up the space.
                That's not a bad idea. How close does it look to actual drywall?

Perhaps in the next shop.

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by JimD

Does it crack if you screw into it?
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• lrr
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Fort Collins, Colorado
                    • Ryobi BT-3100

Cochese,

Nice job on the home brew Sysports. Wow, you have drunk deeply from the Festool/systainer well.

Today, after the depressing results of filing our taxes, my wife and I went for a drive. We are birders and spotted some amazing new finds for us at a little pond out near the Pawneed Grasslands here in Colorado.

I returned home and went down to the shop to try out my new Domino for the first time. Did some work on a little project that really did not need dominos, but was a good one to practice on. Wow, what an amazing tool!

I am at a little over $300 per mortise, but hope to bring that average down quite a bit this year.
                    Lee

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

More like I fell in. I couldn't sleep last night, so I was trying to figure out what my next overall purchase for the shop was. Three or four Festools were in the discussion.

Comment

• wardprobst
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                        • Craftsman 22811

T111 makes great shop walls and takes paint well. DP
                        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• JimD
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lexington, SC.

Waferboard skim coated and painted does not look like drywall up close but when you open the door and look into the shop, it looks just like drywall. It normally doesn't crack when I screw into it but you can see the screw hole (just like in drywall). I use a 6 inch knife and push the mud into the waferboard leaving none (or very little) on the surface. I am trying to fill voids, not cover the top surface. Then I give it a real light sanding and paint. So you can see that it is waferboard if you look at it but filling the voids makes it take paint a lot better. Trying to paint waferboard without the mud was frustrating because of all the voids, some of which go fairly deep. With the mud pushed into the voids it takes paint about like drywall. But it is still waferboard so you can hang nearly anything on it anywhere. And it is realitively cheap. Splinters are a problem but otherwise it goes pretty well. Cutting requires tool beyond a knife, of course, but still it's pretty easy.

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

Wafer board vrs. Drywall, drywall does not burn and wafer board burns quite well once ignited.
                            capncarl

Comment

• Cochese
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by capncarl
                              Wafer board vrs. Drywall, drywall does not burn and wafer board burns quite well once ignited.
                              capncarl
                              OSB typically isn't approved for shops that are connected to living areas, but for stand-alones, it's fine. I don't want to deal with patching drywall, be it screw holes or end of board holes. The OSB also gives a bit more bite to holding things that aren't essential to securing to studs.

Comment

Working...