X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

New air reel

I have a manual reel, one that takes up a bit more room than I would like. In addition, it is an absolute PITA to mount. I want to buy a new reel that retracts and perhaps is a bit narrower.

My choice seems to be a metal reel, or an enclosed plastic one. I don't know of the drawbacks to either, if there are any. I have a PVC hose now, and I want to try out a hybrid this time. I was looking at this one, which seems to be the most reasonably priced.

Home Depot has a plastic Husky for about ten less. Northern has a similar one to the Husky that is a similar price.

I've read about the benefits and drawbacks to the kinds of hoses, but if anyone has experience with hybrid or rubber hoses, feel free to add to the discussion. I haven't been looking at rubber, because I wanted a bit lighter hose. I also wanted a bit more flexibility than the PVC, so it sounded like the hybrid was the way to go.

The old PVC hose and reel are going in my carport, so I can wheel the compressor down there and use for any household/car duties.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • RAV2
    Established Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Massachusetts

Some of my observations from the past:

This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

This is what I use:

I have 75 feet of hose on it. Works fine. I have to crank the hose in but the main issue with that is the hose getting tangles with electrical cords and other stuff in the shop. Self retracting reel would not solve that.

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by JimD
        This is what I use:

I have 75 feet of hose on it. Works fine. I have to crank the hose in but the main issue with that is the hose getting tangles with electrical cords and other stuff in the shop. Self retracting reel would not solve that.
        That is what I have as well. I am not enamored with it.

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Menards had a really good sale on a Zilla Reel once like these:

Even that one doesn't work terribly well:

- When retracting hose likes to bunch up on one side and get blocked
          - Even when that is not the case, while under pressure the hose will not retract all the way either, only after releasing the pressure

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I have a couple of enclosed type Aero-motive hose reels. Great reels but if you pull the hose out too far you have a problem? They have rubber hose, 1/4" and 3/8" 50 and 25' I think. I like the rubber hose. I have pvc hose that came with several pancake compressors, don't like pvc, too stiff. I just use it for outside.
            capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I like the Polyurethane (PU) hoses and have written quite a few posts on their characteristics and I think some tutorial on them as well (perhaps the tutorial about air fittings).

I understand the Hybrid polymer to be combination of rubber and PVC. I think PU has advantages over both so even a hybrid would not be as good as the PU hoses. Have you looked at the PU hoses?

This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-09-2015, 06:15 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Honestly, no. I haven't found any reels with them included, so it hasn't been worth considering an extra expense. Perhaps I'll try one out if I replace the PVC, which I haven't enjoyed.

Comment

• RAV2
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Massachusetts

Originally posted by capncarl
                  I have a couple of enclosed type Aero-motive hose reels. Great reels but if you pull the hose out too far you have a problem? They have rubber hose, 1/4" and 3/8" 50 and 25' I think. I like the rubber hose. I have pvc hose that came with several pancake compressors, don't like pvc, too stiff. I just use it for outside.
                  capncarl
                  On all my retractable reel tools - drop lights, air lines, etc. - I pull them to the maximum and then put a stripe of tape around the line. This way, when I need to get maximum extension without causing the problems cited above, I can quickly pull to the 'safe maximum'.

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

We were down in Springfield MO last summer and stopped at the Grizzly store there. One of my purchases was a hose reel. It's worked out really well, and wasn't that expensive (it was on sale at the time)

Pretty sure it was this one:
                    Grizzly Industrial, Inc. is a national retail and internet company providing a wide variety of high-quality woodworking and metalworking machinery, power tools, hand tools and accessories. By selling directly to end users we provide the best quality products at the best price to professionals and hobbyists.

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

I picked it up yesterday, and installed it today.

This is the old reel and hose, and where it was. Too wide, especially with the handle.

The one I picked up was the one in the original post, and it's nice and compact. Return is great, and I love the roller guides. Love the feel of the hybrid hose. Had to buy a couple of connectors and I bought a longer 8' lead-in at HF.

I installed the new one overhead, it will work great for inside the shop and out.

The old reel is now in the carport, waiting for either a cheap airless to join the fray, or for this 8g to wheel down. Going to be much easier to take care of household tasks with a dedicated line.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Cochese

Is that a bench top jointer? Do you like it? What model?

Thanks
                        Paul

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

No, that is a mid-90s floor model Craftsman. I'm starting not to like it due to design elements that make it take up more space than the competition, but functionally it works fine. Needs a tune, though.

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

It does look like a good solution for your shop. The old reel was in the way and the new one is not. I put the HF manual model on top of my air compressor so it takes no wall space and my ceiling has drywall on it due to the room over it. I only have about 8'3" headroom so I'm not sure I would want a hose reel taking up a foot or so headroom. So I'm not sure it works for me but I can see how it would work nicely for you.

Comment

Working...