• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Depending on the roofing you may not be able to have that much slope. Use a metal roofing and it can be almost flat. If shingles are required you may can use and ice and water shield under the shingle and get away with a 2/12.

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by jking
      I think the 8 ft. height is fairly common. I'm pretty sure it's the limit in my area. I think it's the reason most of the shed kits at the box stores are 8 ft tall or less.
      The only restriction here is that a secondary structure (including a shed) can't be taller than the main structure. I've even seen some two-story sheds around.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

You guys are lucky. I just checked and my city requires a shed permit regardless of the size. The only allowance they place on size is if your shed is less than 120sqft, you don't need footings.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I have a 12x12 garden shed that came with the house. The yard is pretty small with extensive plantings so I don't need a riding mower. It's in the front yard but on the lake you basically have two front yards with the side closer to the street less important in many ways. Vinyl siding and basic construction had to make costs low. It is important storage and I wish it was bigger. I don't know how old it is but the only thing that needs attention is the wood door. It is a normal wooden entry door with a window in it. Paint is coming off due to water splashing on it. It may have to be replaced, certainly needs paint. It's on the list but the list is long.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

10x10 Arrow shed on Woot today for $349

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by leehljp
              Something to consider is "overbuilding" by using screws instead of nails. I built my 9X12 shed in Toyota City Japan using screws on everything but shingles. Somewhat of an overbuild except when that typhoon stalled over us and we had sustained winds in the 80 - 100 MPH for 4+ hours. Only lost a few shingles.

Used screws on plywood exterior also. Tougher than nails!
              Becarefull with using screws for framing though. Unless you are using structural screws their shear strength is less than nails. But a screws holding power is stronger.

I use ringshank nails for the best of both worlds.

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                http://tools.woot.com/?ref=cnt_sb_tg_3

10x10 Arrow shed on Woot today for $349
                Door is only 5 feet tall (peak of shed is 6') I must be the only person in the world that's anal about actually wanting to walk through a door of my shed without ducking (much less stand up inside of it)

Comment

Working...