X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

The one where I build a shed

So, I'm considering building a shed for my yard equipment, including room for my new toy.

This render isn't 100% accurate, as I'm still learning about structure construction.

I was thinking 8'x8' to keep costs and material cutoffs down. My push mower would sit on a shelf above the tractor engine, and I'd have room for rakes, shovels and my cordless yard tools. Probably some room for grass food and etc as well. Door opening would be 48" wide, which should clear the 42" cutting deck okay. It would probably sit on those concrete pre-fab piers that I would sink partially in the ground. Haven't decided on a style of roof.
    Last edited by Cochese; 04-30-2014, 08:31 PM.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Unless you really don't have the space for it, I'd really consider going larger. My shed is 10x12 (largest allowed here without a variance) and I'd still like more space. In particular, hefting the push mower up on a shelf just seems like something you're going to regret.

We built our shed in 2003. I really wanted the door on the side, not the gable end, and virtually no shed I've seen does it that way, so I bought some plans and modified them. I've been really happy with it. I just wish I would have used pressure treated plywood for the flooring - I've had to replace a spot near the door, otherwise it's held up very well.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Ditto on not picking up your push mower. I suppose you could rig up a bike hoist to do that if you're set on that.

I guess it also depends on how much work you want to do and how much you want to spend. I might be inclined to check out these prefab sheds at Costco.

I wish I had the space and no city restriction on adding a shed.

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • BT3100

Originally posted by tfischer

We built our shed in 2003. I really wanted the door on the side, not the gable end, and virtually no shed I've seen does it that way,

I should clarify that. Some of the plans/prefab sheds (like the ones in the Cosco link above) had the door on the side, but the door height was less than 6'. I didn't want to be ducking under a door every time I entered the shed. My shed's side walls are almost 8' tall (I needed the clearance for the roll-up door) which dives me a lot more vertical space to hang things as we'll.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Something to consider is "overbuilding" by using screws instead of nails. I built my 9X12 shed in Toyota City Japan using screws on everything but shingles. Somewhat of an overbuild except when that typhoon stalled over us and we had sustained winds in the 80 - 100 MPH for 4+ hours. Only lost a few shingles.

Used screws on plywood exterior also. Tougher than nails!
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Ditto on upping the size. I would suggest big enough to be able to park the mowers side by side. Maybe a shelf unit in the corner in front of the push mower for chemicals, sprayers, and other small stuff. Use the opposite side wall for hanging long handle tools, weed eater, etc. Also plan an easy to get to area for the gas cans. (Mine are to the left just inside the door.) I also have the excess pool stuff in my 10x12 Arrow shed and it isn't big enough....
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

I chose that size so that I could do it for as cheaply as possible while gaining experience for my shop build. As soon as I posted it I started having second thoughts, though. If I were to build it any bigger than this I would not build it at all - I would go straight into the shop build and my old shop would then become the yard shed.

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                Ditto on upping the size. I would suggest big enough to be able to park the mowers side by side. Maybe a shelf unit in the corner in front of the push mower for chemicals, sprayers, and other small stuff. Use the opposite side wall for hanging long handle tools, weed eater, etc. Also plan an easy to get to area for the gas cans. (Mine are to the left just inside the door.) I also have the excess pool stuff in my 10x12 Arrow shed and it isn't big enough....
                You can see this on page 3 of my shed build link I posted above, but here's my layout. Those pics are over 10 years old but I still use the same layout - although there's more junk in there now lol:

Tractor drives straight in, and takes up the "left" third of the shed. Along the wall to the left of the tractor are hooks/hangers for all of my long-handled tools - mostly yard/garden stuff but also various shovels, post hole diggers, etc.

In the right front corner is an "industrial"-type shelving unit. Bottom shelf gets the gas cans. Other shelves get yard chemicals, various parts, etc. Frankly it could use some better organization as it tends to be cluttered. To The wall to the left (toward the rear of the shed) holds things like my weed eater, spreader, electric hedge trimmer, etc. The rear wall holds some lawn chairs, extension cords, a small garden tiller, leaf blower, etc. On the floor on the right side I have a push mower, power washer, various junk that I should probably just get rid of, etc. In the summer I store the snow blower, and in the winter that space is used to store kids bikes/toys that frees up space in the main garage for the snow blower.

Up in the rafters is storage for things like scrap 2x4 lumber, some christmas decorations, etc.

Surprising amount of storage for a 10x12 building.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

I am not particular fond of setting the legs of a shed roof on concrete pavers. This type of structure benefits from a sturdy column type leg that offers less movement. Use a posthole digger and create a 2' deep hole for the pole and after the structure is plum and level fill the hole with concrete. This way when one of your Atlanta storms comes along the shed will not end up on the roof of your neighbors car.

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by capncarl
                    I am not particular fond of setting the legs of a shed roof on concrete pavers. This type of structure benefits from a sturdy column type leg that offers less movement. Use a posthole digger and create a 2' deep hole for the pole and after the structure is plum and level fill the hole with concrete. This way when one of your Atlanta storms comes along the shed will not end up on the roof of your neighbors car.
                    That's considered a permanent foundation and requires a permit. Not saying it's not doable, but it's not a simple thing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • BT3100

I used "dek blocks" for mine. No issues after 10+ years. Like Cochese said it had to be on a "temporary" foundation in order to not be a fully permitted structure.

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

You might check with your planning dept. Most planning depts share the same requirements. My county requirement says: Structures meeting the following criteria do not require a building permit:
                        • One story detached patio covers, similar accessory structures (tool and storage sheds), playhouses and shade structures (trellises, gazebos, arbors) 120 Sq. Ft. in floor area or smaller, with not more than 12-in of overhang
                        extending beyond the exterior wall of the structure; and
                        • No portion of the structure equal to or greater than 8-ft in height.

Your shop may have already used up your 120 sf. You might have some neighborhood HOA requirements as well.

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

In the official code it lists 144 feet, but on my county FAQ page it lists 200 feet. I have an email in about it to clarify, and to also see what my limit is for number of buildings.

Comment

• tfischer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2003
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                            • No portion of the structure equal to or greater than 8-ft in height.
                            That requirement seems overly strict. Assuming the pitch is 4/12, with 10' depth along the gable end, that would require your side walls to be no higher than about 6 feet, which makes it impossible to put a reasonable door in the side wall.

Comment

• jking
                              • May 2003
                              • Des Moines, IA.
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by tfischer
                              That requirement seems overly strict. Assuming the pitch is 4/12, with 10' depth along the gable end, that would require your side walls to be no higher than about 6 feet, which makes it impossible to put a reasonable door in the side wall.
                              I think the 8 ft. height is fairly common. I'm pretty sure it's the limit in my area. I think it's the reason most of the shed kits at the box stores are 8 ft tall or less.

Comment

Working...