X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Cochese
    I pretty much summed up the results in the other thread, so here's what I have on tap for 2014:
    • Finish interior walls - I have three remaining walls that have the original 1/4" ply and wood stringers between the studs. These will be taken care of this year.
    • Remove ceiling - same 1/4" on the ceiling joists. I'd like to take it down and have some storage up there, considering I don't think anything is living up there.
    • Build lathe stand - need a sturdy, vibration-dampening stand for the lathe. Have the design done, just waiting to finish the...
    • Build planer stand - started on this a couple weeks ago, have the matierials cut and being glued up. It's a flip-top stand for the OSS as well. Hopefully will be done in January.
    • Build new miter saw stand - to accommodate some minor rearranging in the shop, I'm building a shorter cabinet assembly. Probably after the lathe stand.
    • Under-floor insulation - I think this is the Achilles heel in my shop, after not being level. The floor seems to be where I lose the most heat. My BIL is going to help, hopefully.
    • New floor? - if I can figure out how to fill the 'hole' in the floor surface, I think I'm going to put down some cheap laminate flooring. We'll see.
    • Add some green - The Festools are coming! The Festools are coming! The track saw is a given, will have to see what finances are after that.
    • Clear up outside - I still have a bunch of debris in my yard of plywood that should have gone into my house attic as a floor. Lesson learned. New demo blade on my recip saw should get this taken care of quickly.
    • New window - I need a new window for my shop, full stop.
    • Air conditioning - and an A/C unit to sit in it to help me get through summer.
    • External outlets - for the house. Going to add two or three to help run the extension cords (and allow my lights and vac to be on their own circuit) and run lights next holiday season

I'm very excited. Going to be a big year if money and time cooperate.
    Planer stand done, Festools are in the shop, miter saw stand is done aside from the wings, and I've cleared up a decent bit outside. It's a good start.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

It's not quite the end of February yet, and already I have managed to get quite a lot done in the shop. I am actually feeling really good about my progress so far!

#1. The drywall on the powered wall is done, painted, and happy.
      #2. The wall hanging stuff, tool cabinets, tool stacker, etc... is in place, orgainzed, and clean.
      #3. The big tools are where they belong.
      #4. The dust collection duct work has been reinstalled to the state it was in prior to the remodel.
      #5. Blow in expanding foam insulation in wall segment between the shop doors. Allow to cure, trim flush and install drywall over it. This is done, for the most part. I still ahve drywall work to do.
      #6. SCMS cabinet dust hood completed and isntalled. Duct work to connect this to the DC is still in progress.
      #7. Squareness problem with miter saw cabinet solved.
      #8. Cleaning done, ongoing cleaning, staying on top of things.
      #9. Glue up for the freezer floor extension, basically a wooden riser to compensate for the shelf / step in the garage floor so I can move the freezer in is done. Just need to trim, paint, and mount it.
      #10. Not in my prior list, but I decided to take some of the plywood scrap,and create a plank shelf for my existing workbench. Between the mass and rigidity the shelf offers, as well as the mass the tools I stashed down there give the bench, I am starting to like my workbench more... It doesn't move when I am pounding on it any more!

Work still pending, but likely to get done this year.
      #1. On unpowered wall, patch any irregularities with drywall, cut top access holes in drywall for blow in insulation, and fill the wall cavities with insulation, patch, repaint.
      #2. Still need to figure out the details on this one, but I need to figure out something different with my clamps. I have badly overrun my basic wall mounted, well effectively towel bars I have been using for a clamp rack. Probably design and build something more akin to a rolling clamp tower of some sort.
      #3. Finish SCMS cabinet drawers, and move router and table saw accessories out of tote and into these drawers.
      #4. Build and install shelving over mechanics tool box to allow for storage of automotive chemicals separate from woodworking stuff, trying to ease congetsion in the miter saw / mortiser bench.
      #5. Finish the drywall patches on the narrow wall, and the existing unpowered wall. Once the drywall patching is done, all but maybe a 2'x4' scrap of spare sheet rock will be jetissoned from my shop to free up space.

My shop is now in a functional state, not completely ideal, but functional. Once I get the miter saw duct work done, and finishes / strippers back where they belong, freezer moved into place, I will be pulling cabinet doors and drawers from the kitchen, and stripping them for refinshing.

I was more or less without a functional shop for the entirety of 2013. The results of my efforts to get it back together feel pretty good. Although I know diving into house projects even more full steam is the price I pay for this...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I just finished making a wooden face frame for my long general workbench that I have in my shop. The basic frame is just a bunch of metal shelving units that are bolted together with a laminated kitchen counter glued on top. The wood face frame will dress it up and allow me to mount doors on the front.

Next steps are:

-Mount face frame to bench (I'll need for it to get a bit warmer, as it'll be secured with PL Premium.
        -Build the 11 doors needed for the bench
        -Build pull out drawers/ trays for the workbench cabinet sections
        -Enclose compressor compartment, maybe line with egg crate foam to aid in noiseproofing
        -Add HF rapidair piping/ manifolds to the workbench
        -Add 220V outlet by where I'll install an electric heater next year (tired of using kerosene torpedo heater)
        -Add last bits of drywall
        -Re-organize clamp section
        -Move in bandsaw, jointer, Duct Collector, and RAS from old shop
        -Organize the many bins of plumbing, electrical, and misc supplies
        -Organize "attic" storage area
        -From the outside, add gutters and grading to help prevent water intrusion
        -Re-do mobile Lathe Station
        -Re-calibrate RAS
        -Re-calibrate Jointer
        -Re-calibrate BS

I'm sure there's 100 other things to do as well, but those are the big hitters I can think of off the top of my head.

Comment

• durango dude
          • Mar 2011
          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Priorities for my woodworking endeavors:

a) Finish the Morris Chair

b) Build small bookshelf for Durango Diva

c) Build another cradle for Durango Daughter's American Girls
          (maybe bunk beds would be better for them --- she's got 6)

d) Build flag box for Navy Son.

e) Figure out what to build for son's wedding in May.

f) Likely build a bunch of pine boxes for consignment sale at local tourist shop (mostly for fun - you can't get rich making these things)

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Cochese
            I pretty much summed up the results in the other thread, so here's what I have on tap for 2014:
            • Finish interior walls - I have three remaining walls that have the original 1/4" ply and wood stringers between the studs. These will be taken care of this year. Probably not going to happen
            • Remove ceiling - same 1/4" on the ceiling joists. I'd like to take it down and have some storage up there, considering I don't think anything is living up there. Two-thirds done, but clearing up the waste keeps me from doing more
            • Build lathe stand - need a sturdy, vibration-dampening stand for the lathe. Have the design done, just waiting to finish the... Not happening
            • Build planer stand - started on this a couple weeks ago, have the matierials cut and being glued up. It's a flip-top stand for the OSS as well. Hopefully will be done in January. Done, however I don't like having the tools upside down, particularly the sander. Back to the drawing board
            • Build new miter saw stand - to accommodate some minor rearranging in the shop, I'm building a shorter cabinet assembly. Probably after the lathe stand. Did I do this? I don't remember. Probably not.
            • Under-floor insulation - I think this is the Achilles heel in my shop, after not being level. The floor seems to be where I lose the most heat. My BIL is going to help, hopefully. Yeah, right.
            • New floor? - if I can figure out how to fill the 'hole' in the floor surface, I think I'm going to put down some cheap laminate flooring. We'll see. Yeah, right
            • Add some green - The Festools are coming! The Festools are coming! The track saw is a given, will have to see what finances are after that. Bought a track saw and Domino, plus a few systainers. Figuring out where to store.
            • Clear up outside - I still have a bunch of debris in my yard of plywood that should have gone into my house attic as a floor. Lesson learned. New demo blade on my recip saw should get this taken care of quickly. Did get this done, actually.
            • New window - I need a new window for my shop, full stop. Nope.
            • Air conditioning - and an A/C unit to sit in it to help me get through summer. Suffered through another summer
            • External outlets - for the house. Going to add two or three to help run the extension cords (and allow my lights and vac to be on their own circuit) and run lights next holiday season No, but it is high on priority list in a couple of paychecks

I'm very excited. Going to be a big year if money and time cooperate.
            Being dragged into a large project didn't allow me to do much, and now I'm back in school. I'm currently examining the layout yet again, because this project really took a lot out of me. I was about ready to close up shop for good.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Cochese, is there any possibility of adding a drawer to your flip top stand? I made space for a bottom drawer to hold extra sandpaper and all the sanding drums/parts. If not, maybe you could add a basket or something that hangs on one side to hold those parts. I'm still in love with mine because without it, my sander would still be on a stack of lumber and wouldn't get any use.

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

I did build a spot for a drawer, but never built it. I don't know, I'm taking the approach that the next layout will be a clean slate, with the only restrictions being the floor-standing tools and the workbench. Even the workbench might have to be negotiable.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

My extra garage for my shop is making progress. Walls are up and the room over is framed and sheathed. No shingles or even tar paper on the roof but the basic structure is up. Next week they are to build a couple dormers on the second story, possibly they will get all three done. In addition to the garage, we're adding >500 ft2 to the house. So it's a lot of construction.

I left the finish carpentry out of the room overs so I will have that to finish when the contractor is done. The same builder built my last house and I do not care for the work his finish carpenter does. He is very fast but it looks like it sometimes too. On one room that I started last year, the only thing the builder is doing is the dormer and HVAC. I will have to redo the electrical I already did and then insulate and sheet rock - plus do the finish.

The builder will have to insulate and put up fire rated 5/8 drywall on the ceiling and I will get lights put in and at least an outlet or two in my shop. The builder isn't doing the walls, however. After the other projects are done, I will cover the walls with 7/16 waferboard with a skim coat of drywall compound and painted white. It is much more durable than drywall, costs about the same, and I can hang things anywhere. Eventually I plan base and upper cabinets - possibly some open shelves for wood storage - along one 24 foot wall. I will have to keep them narrow close to the garage door but will move to two feet deep on the base units. The CMS and radial arm saw will go in this run. Table saw, jointer, and drill press will go along the short (14 foot minus a door) with the drill press the only one being used in place. The other wall has two windows but the wife says I can put stuff in front of them. I will try not to. I need to also get in the router table and also car and reloading stuff so I may have 3 separate areas along the other wall. It is a deeper space, I can have 2 foot deep lower units without interference with the garage doors.

I do not plan to get much done in the shop but I do plan to have lights and at least a few outlets so I can get the tools out of the storage unit and into the garage. Most of the time will have to go to the other parts of the house. But it will be REAL nice to at least have my tools here. I built a little door for the crawl space today. I got it done working on the back patio but a shop would have been so much better.

Comment

• Tom Clark
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Deming, NM
                    • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Shop Cabinets

Need more space? Add some shop cabinets and double the effective space you have now.

I posted in the other thread, but since no new posts here in 3 months, here are some of the projects I did last spring.

I added two small eight drawer cabinets in my model corner, and built a new toolbox that I had wanted to do for years. It took four days. Once you build a few shop cabinets you will find just how quick and easy they are to make.

I showed a photo of my new toolbox to an old neighbor, and a couple of weeks later he sent me this photo of him sitting on a new toolbox he just finished…

There are a lot more photos of shop cabinets I made on my home page.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Tom Clark; 11-23-2014, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

One of my 2014 shop builds that did not work and demands a complete re-design is my equipment outfeed table. It consists of a Rigid miter saw utility stand with a 6'x12" roller conveyor attached to the top. This Rigid stand is one that folds down and stands flat against the wall and would appear to make a good portable outfeed conveyor. I was wrong. It never comes back to the same height and allows the heigth to change at will. As much as I wanted to get all of my equipment the same heigth, 36 1/2" being my target, that never materialized and it ranges from 34" to 37 3/4". Ever move to different equipment requires 20 minutes of fiddling with the levelers and never being happy with the results. The stand is wonderful for a miter saw but not intended for this purpose. Back to the drawing board!
                      capncarl

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

Well I have my new shop garage and it has tools in it. I have lights (four cheap ceiling fixtures that take two bulbs apiece with two CFLs in each. Seems good). It is 14x28 so I will have to be careful but should be able to do a lot in it. The ceiling is 5/8 fire rated drywall and is finished but not painted. Walls are just 2x4 framing waiting on me to get time to put up 7/16 wafer board. I also only have one outlet for now. That results in a lot of plugging and unplugging but it is still nice to have the tools and a chance to use them. I need to finish the room over, then redo three bathrooms and create a half bath, the redo the kitchen and maybe then finish the shop.

I'll probably do a bit more on the shop between or during other projects. We'll see. I am thinking now about whether I want cabinets down one of the long sides with the CMS and RAS on top, drawers underneath for storage, or whether I should make everything on wheels to roll out into position when I want to use the tool. In that case, I would make a moble stand and maybe get a new sliding compound miter saw. I have time to think about it. If I thought I would do a lot of work at other locations, I'd make mobile stands. But that seems doubtful, the tools should be able to stay put for the most part. I have two CMSs so I take the little 10 inch when I need to do work away from the shop.

So I made progress this year, but I have a lot more to do. Next project is likely to be stringing the wire for a possible 220V circuit. I currently only have one 20 amp and one 15A circuit in the shop. I have to pull up the subfloor in the room over to insulate and could run a wire, thinking of just a 12 gauge, for either another 20A 120V or possibly a 20A 220 circuit. It will be much more difficult to do this later and 250ft of wire is almost the same price as 100ft so....

Comment

Working...