X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

100% humidity

Went out to the shop yesterday and discovered my broom was wet. Huh? Then touched basically any other surface. Nearly standing water. The hygrometer read 100% humidity and the dew point and temp were identical. It was like a sauna.

This is what everything looked like today.:

Decided to move up my maintenance schedule and take care of it during this monsoon. Some mineral spirits, scotch-brite pad and some Johnsons wax and we're all square.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • dbaudo1
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2011
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Ryobi BT3000

That cleaned up quite nicely! I don't currently have any tools with cast tops like that, what's the general procedure with the scotch brite and mineral spirits? With the exception of flaking rust, how bad of a surface will that work for?

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Boeshield T9
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Just surface rust on mine, required little effort. For tougher jobs you may need some wet sandpaper or even a grinding wheel . (obviously not with the spirits)

I researched T9 and a lot of people complained that it didn't keep a slick surface like the wax. I just hadn't done it in awhile. I'll be marking it on my calendar for about every 90 days.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• akronee
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2011
          • Denver, CO
          • Craftsman 315.228110

If I had to take a grinding wheel to my jointer, spirits of a different kind would probably be in order.....

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you store more stuff on your tool tables ( I notice you had a few items!) like I do then there's less surface to rust!

When it really gets bad with stuff on tables, its like those number puzzles missing one square... you keep moving the stuff around to clear the tool you need, you only need one tool at a time. So if you have N tools, you can store stuff on N-1 tool tables.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-23-2013, 01:39 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MikeMorgan
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2009

Happens to me every spring here in Illinois. Every year I promise myself to be more preemptive. This year for sure!
              Last edited by MikeMorgan; 12-23-2013, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I try to keep my stuff waxed up with butchers wax but there are parts that do not get it so I hose it down with machine gun oil (lightweight gun oil, sewing machine oil) in the spray paint size cans and wipe it off. It attracts a nice coat of dust and makes leaving notes in the table top easy! I haven't noticed the oil effecting any stains or finishes like I saw when the wood picks up some parifin wax I use to apply on the tops.

I made the mistake of leaving a couple of pressure treated boards on my band saw cast iron top overnight. Every where the boards touched left a layer of rust, in only 12 hours. I was able to catch it before it got too deep but it still left a black spot after polishing it out.

capncarl

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  if you store more stuff on your tool tables ( I notice you had a few items!) like I do then there's less surface to rust!

When it really gets bad with stuff on tables, its like those number puzzles missing one square... you keep moving the stuff around to clear the tool you need, you only need one tool at a time. So if you have N tools, you can store stuff on N-1 tool tables.

The bandsaw was the crappy miter gauge that came with it, however I don't remember what I had on the jointer to leave that unrusted spot.

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

A can of rust stop?
                    Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I really liked the fact that the sears bt3 folded down and parked against the wall preventing me from piling junk on it. It was a good coat hook though!
                      capncarl

Comment

• greenacres2
                        • Dec 2011
                        • La Porte, IN
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        Boeshield T9
                        And Boeshield Rustfree for when things do get a "patina". With a Scotchbrite if needed.

Comment

Working...