• Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I've been infected by the green fever

4/26/15 - thread renamed to hopefully keep it better on track

I think I'm going to buy a Festool.

When you pick yourself off the floor, I can explain why.

I've been watching quite a lot of instructional videos lately, a lot of them about shop layout and kitchen cabinet making. I also won a contest recently for two mini systainers, and that got me thinking about my position about Festool and, if I'm honest, SawStop. I think getting started in this hobby with the limited funds, space and time I did, I was hostile to plunking a large amount of money down towards tools. I went cheap, and by and large (really, seriously) it has worked out extremely well. I regret very few purchases, none of them power tools.

With the purchase of my new planer I've come to respect how putting money into a more expensive tool can produce results that have better quality, better accuracy and less time. I'm all about all of those things having a limited space and limited schedule, and I'm just now understanding how investing a bit more can pay for itself over time. My parents are redoing their kitchen in the spring, and I think if I had another year or two under my belt, I could have tackled it. With the right tools.

So I'll be buying a TS55 REQ soon. How soon, I'm not sure, but I know that before I rebuild my shop storage I will have it - the new planer stand will be the last major plywood project I do without it. In the meantime, I'm going to make a auxiliary guide for my current system so that I can get closer to that accuracy and speed until it arrives.

My hope is that in a few years I'll be ready to remodel my own kitchen with my own cabinets. Now that I've turned a corner on my shop and my outlook, I'm not afraid to start sinking some major money into my work.
    Last edited by Cochese; 04-26-2015, 10:25 PM.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

Cochese,
    Been where you are at and came to the same conclusion. Much easier because of work related use but once you use a fine tool, it's hard to go back. I have been looking at Festool myself but haven't quite gotten there yet.
    Maybe soon,
    DP
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Speaking of Festool, look what just showed up today.

Courtesy of winning a Weekend Warrior Woodworking contest.

Comment

• MBG
        • Apr 2003
        • Chicago, Illinois.
        • Craftsman 21829

Good luck on your new Purchase.

I'm a serious woodworking hobbyist that built a full set of kitchen cabinets and huge island with cabinets. Many years ago I bought a saw guide rail to break down sheet goods after I stalled a cabinet saw trying to push through a piece of ply by myself. It happened to be Eurekazone. Over time I accumulated more accessories for the track saw system. For the kitchen project I probable made 90% of the cuts on my track saw system. So it can be done.

Good Luck,

Mike

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have the Festool Kapex as well as a TS75 and 25", 50" and 106" tracks. Before you put money into a SawStop, use the track saw for a while and you'll be surprised at how little you use your current table saw by comparison.

I've gotten to the point that there is no need for the wide table kit on my saw and other than narrow rips, I rarely use it.
          Chr's

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

Take care. Taking a sip of the green Kool aid can be detrimental to your wallet. But it will make your woodworking (imo) much easier and more enjoyable. If you're going to do multiple cuts of the same width you may want take a look at the parallel guides. I have the festool barand and like it but if I were to do it all over again, I would go with one of the non-festool brands. You can find out more about them at the fog forum. Attaching the saw to a vac is also a big benefit for controlling dust. More so if you decide (and you will) to get more green tools in the future. Then you'll want a boom arm, then a domino, then a Rotex, then.......
            Last edited by jussi; 12-12-2013, 04:07 PM.
            I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• stoli
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2002
              • Tucson, AZ.

I'm pretty much in the same place. I recently got a domino, and what a dream compared to a biscuit joiner, so much so that it is pretty much not even a fair comparison. And the dust collection!

I am also in the process of selling my BT3K after an incident that cost 4 stitches, and my short list of replacement saw are both Sawstops.

Like you, I started out cheap, and really lucked into the BT3K, which was a great buy for the money. But now, 15+ years later, I have more experience and have really learned the lesson that going cheap on the tools is really a double loss when you factor in the eventual replacement.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I've said it before and I will say it again. Don't expect SawStop, Festool, or any other high end tool to make up for any lack of skill. They won't...

Properly functioning cheap tools do the job just fine. The problem is many of them aren't properly functioning.

My big issue with SawStop is, has been, and likely will continue to be Steve Gass' approach. I will not say any further of that issue as it will steer directly into politics... The product itself is a fantastic one and I wish I had the resources to get one... I have too many other expenses to swallow before I can upgrade though...

If money were no object, sure I would swap out my cheapies for full on SS, Festool, etc... But money is a real factor for me, as it is for most of us... I pick and choose where to spend the bigger dollars very carefully... I am glad you are at the point where you can plunk down on the better stuff now. Chose the best upgrades so you can get the most use for your money! No sense in upgrading say a plate jointer if you don't like biscuits...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by dbhost
                  I've said it before and I will say it again. Don't expect SawStop, Festool, or any other high end tool to make up for any lack of skill. They won't...

Properly functioning cheap tools do the job just fine. The problem is many of them aren't properly functioning.
                  No. But they can help. Especially when it comes to my lack of doing math well. I just made a 4' track saw substitute for this stuff I'm cutting today and it has been an immense help. No more adding and subtracting with this saw guide. Just measure, align, go. It isn't a permanent solution, though.

I don't see myself going whole hog with the green stuff. My cordless stuff works a-ok, so no drills. I might try out a sander just to see if there is any improvement in dust collection, but my gut says no. I do want a Domino for alignment, since my biscuit joiner is so crap - but I knew that when I bought it, but had to discover why.

What intrigues me the most about the track saw is adding the LR32 system to it. I wonder if it can be made to work with a regular router, because if so I would be ecstatic.

For me, SawStop...yeah. I get you, because I feel the same way. But if I'm honest with myself should I let a grudge impact my decisions years down the road? I shouldn't. When it comes time for me to buy a new saw, I would be foolish if dismissed it out of hand.

This is kind of like what I found out when I went from HF chisels to Narex chisels. Properly sharpened, they will both do the same job. The Narex is just better made with better steel. However the real 'a-ha' moment is when I hold them.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I really like my DeWalt track saw, even more than I thought I would. I got a good deal on it this time of year last year. I got it with the 109 and 56 inch guides. I saw the review of both Festool and DeWalt on video and went with the DeWalt. The reviewer said he likes the Festool best, however. I liked the DeWalt price and I also like the fact that the dimensions for the depth stop are inches. Dust collection is very good but so is the Festool. I would look at both but if you buy the Festool, I am sure you will be happy. But I do not feel my DeWalt is inferior in any way. I am taking the wide table kit off the BT3100 to fit it into the new house and because I don't think I need it due to the DeWalt.

Jim

Comment

• jussi
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Cochese

What intrigues me the most about the track saw is adding the LR32 system to it. I wonder if it can be made to work with a regular router, because if so I would be ecstatic.
                      The only real problem you would have is to figure out how to mount the router to the plate. It was originally designed to work only with the 1010 and it's the easiest to mint because all you have to do is place the router in top and turn a couple of locking tabs. They added holes to the later version so you could use the 1400 by inserting some screws through the plate and router. If you could somehow make those tabs work or maybe even tap the your existing router so the holes line up it may work.

Which router do you have?
                      Last edited by jussi; 12-12-2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania
                        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Cochese
                        Courtesy of winning a Weekend Warrior Woodworking contest.
                        The new web magazine, or something else?
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by woodturner
                          The new web magazine, or something else?
                          Yes. The format takes some getting used to.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by jussi
                            The only real problem you would have is to figure out how to mount the router to the plate. It was originally designed to work only with the 1010 and it's the easiest to mint because all you have to do is place the router in top and turn a couple of locking tabs. They added holes to the later version so you could use the 1400 by inserting some screws through the plate and router. If you could somehow make those tabs work or maybe even tap the your existing router so the holes line up it may work.

Which router do you have?
                            I have two smaller Craftsmans, a 17543 and I can't remember the other one but it was the three base unit they stopped selling a year or so ago. I certainly don't need another smaller router, I'm in the market for a 7518 or similar for a new table. At this point it would be wishful thinking or something a lot farther down the road.

I just bought the 735 though, so it will be a bit before I get the track saw. Hoping February.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• jussi
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007

Since you have some time you may want to wait till festool holds there recon sale. You can save 10-30% off and I'm pretty sure they hold the same warranty.

Comment

Working...