X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

An early gift to myself

Work has treated me well over the last year and I'm in line for another promotion in the Spring. To celebrate, I decided to upgrade one of the longer tenured tools in my arsenal - the planer.

My Ryobi AP1300 has served me well for a long time, and it was a great Craigslist buy. When I purchased it was missing a few things like a dust chute, so I ordered one. Also bought a set of knives that I've never had to install. But cosmetically it isn't in the best of shape - the lock lever was broken when I bought, and the plastic sides have come loose. The main reasons why I was looking to upgrade was because the darn thing is a jet engine. It is extremely loud even with hearing protection. I also occasionally get snipe, which could be solved in a bigger shop with a sled. It's height didn't make it easy to store in my shop. Due to the design of the dust chute and my low volume dust collection the chute clogged easily.

Twelve months 0% from Amazon was calling my name so I splurged on a 735x that I've been wanting for at least 18 months. I don't know if it will be any quite, but it should solve the rest of the problems. I had to schedule delivery, so it will be here Friday.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • Carpenter96
    Established Member
    • Aug 2011
    • Barrie ON Canada
    • BT 3000

Yes the 735 is a great workshop planer we have them at work and I just upgraded from an old delta planer that served me well. I think you wil be very pleased.

Regards Bob

Comment

• lrr
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Fort Collins, Colorado
      • Ryobi BT-3100

I've owned a 735 for maybe 5 years, and would consider it the one tool that has made the biggest impact on the quality of my woodworking projects.

Plus, it is such a joy to use. I'm sure you will enjoy yours.
      Lee

Comment

• steve-norrell
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • The Great Land - Alaska
        • BT3100-1

You will love the 735. I have had one for a few years and it is one of the best buys I ever made for the shop. If you ever want to upgrade the 735, I recommend a helical cutter with carbide cutters.

Regards, Steve.

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

Congrats on the 735--great machine. The chip ejector is powerful too!!

Steve--Which helical head did you put on yours? And how was the installation?? Thanks.

earl

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Oh yeah, the helical head option should make it a tool that would last me for years and years.

The chip ejection may make me add a second separator, this time just for the planer.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

still going to be noisy and maybe you should also treat yourself to better dust collection.

But I still think you are going to enjoy it.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

I am working on the dust collection thing. Two things need to have positive answers though - would it trip a 20A circuit and extension cord, and could I make room.

Comment

• lrr
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Fort Collins, Colorado
                  • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by Cochese
                  I am working on the dust collection thing. Two things need to have positive answers though - would it trip a 20A circuit and extension cord, and could I make room.

Cochese,

I assume you are considering a dust collector that runs on 240VAC. My Laguna 2HP requires 13A (at 220VAC, according to the plate on the motor), so its 240VAC-20A breaker has plenty of "headroom". Note that 220VAC, 230VAC, and 240VAC get used interchangeably, so I'll just stick to calling it 240VAC. If you Google "240VAC vs. 220VAC" you can read all the boring historical accounts of the reasoning.

When I had just Shop Vacs, I ran them on their own 120VAC-20A circuit. All my 120VAC power tools (including my BT3100), were on different 20A circuits. That way I never worried about tripping the breakers. I color coded the outlets for the different circuits so I knew what was plugged into any particular circuit. With ivory, white, black, brown, and gray being readily available at the big box stores, you have a lot of options. I also found orange outlets on clearance, and if you want to spend some big bucks, you can get blue, red, and probably some other colors.

My radial arm saw is on 240VAC-20A circuit, and I have several outlets on that circuit (receptacles are ivory color), but mostly in case I move the saw. If I ever upgraded my BT3100 to a bigger cabinet saw that requires 240VAC, I'd use the same circuit as the RAS, since both machines would never run simultaneously with just me in the shop. My dust collector is on its own 240VAC-20A circuit, since it will run when other 240VAC tools run, so it must be dedicated. Its receptacle is white, just to indicate it is a separate circuit. I also have a 3rd, dedicated, 240VAC-20A circuit to supply power to my compressor, which is in the garage (but fed from my basement shop's subpanel).

Hope that helps. You can never have too much power, or too many circuits!
                  Last edited by lrr; 11-23-2013, 07:18 PM.
                  Lee

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by lrr
                    When I had just Shop Vacs, I ran them on their own 120VAC-20A circuit. All my 120VAC power tools (including my BT3100), were on different 20A circuit. That way I never worried about tripping the breakers. I color coded the outlets for the different circuits so I knew what was plugged into any particular circuit. With ivory, white, black, brown, and gray being readily available at the big box stores, you have a lot of options.

My radial arm saw is on 240VAC-20A circuit, and I have several outlets on that circuit (receptacles are ivory color). Mostly in case I move the saw. Although if I ever upgraded to a bigger cabinet saw that requires 240VAC, I'd use the same circuit, since both machines would never run simultaneously with just me in the shop. My Laguna 2HP dust collector is on its own 240VAC-20A circuit, since it will run when other 240VAC tools run. Its receptacle is white, just to indicate it is a separate circuit. I also have a 3rd 240VAC-20A circuit to supply power to my compressor, which is in the garage (but fed from my basement shop's subpanel).
                    Right now the vac is run from a separate circuit on a separate cord from the big tools, minus the miter saw - that won't trip it. I have been investigating adding exterior outlets to my house, and one would run the dust collector and air compressor should I be able to build a lean-to on an exterior wall. Don't know if that would be legal yet. Or wise.

Comment

• Armini
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

It is a fine planer, I really like mine. However, the noise level will shock you. I believe it was FWW that did a noise test a few years ago, the 735 was top of the pile at 103 db or so. I believe the AP1300 was in the same test - I do not recall any other over 100 db.

An older veteran in my family heard it on maple and said it reminded him of a Stuka coming right down on you...

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

I've read reviews about the noise, and the AP1300 is probably on par with the 735. I've also read that a lot of the noise comes from two sources - the knives and the blower. A Shelix head reduces the noise.

As long as it is the same as this one. I don't know if I can take any louder. FWW said 101dB, I think it's a bit more.

Comment

• mpc
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Cypress, CA, USA.
                          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Quiet thickness planer? Until you get to the really expensive high-end-pro units, I gotta think "quiet thickness planer" is a bit of an oxymoron. My DW735 isn't painfully loud; with HF style hearing protection I can hear it just enough to know if the knives are cutting properly or if I have the depth set too high/too low. Even without headphone-style hearing protection the DW735 wasn't the loudest tool I'd ever used/heard. In fact, I think many shop vacs are just as loud. The 735's frequency content is lower than many tools so it has less high pitched piercing whine.

A few tips:
                          1: make sure your dust collection hose is firmly attached. The blower inside the DW735 is doggone strong and may blow the hose off. It easily inflates the bags of my dust collector before I turn the collector ON. Dewalt actually recommends against using a regular shop vac as they won't keep up with the 735's blower! A separator works well. Or using a trash can with a screened lid. Just make sure the lid is on tightly, or has weights on it... otherwise the 735's blower will lift it like an air hockey puck.

2: Since this isn't your first thickness planer, you're probably already aware of how rapidly they fill up dust collector bags, trash bags, etc. But for other folks reading this, be ready. A friend got a Delta thickness planer years ago and aimed the exhaust into his driveway so he could test (aka play with) his new toy. After running a few boards through it and being pleased with the results, he noticed his 2-car driveway looked like it had a 2 inch thick layer of brown snow!

3: every so often, open up the black plastic caps on the sides of the unit and clean out crud from the drive sprockets & chains. Those sprockets can split in half when jammed and they're not exactly cheap... and take a few days to order.

Mine continues to work well even with the original knives. I read reviews that said the knives dull rapidly so I bought a couple spare sets when they were on sale. So far I haven't needed them. I've had the DW735 for many years now but I use it only a couple times per year. I'd be surprised if mine has seen 5000 lineal feet yet.

mpc

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

It came today just like promised. Amazon actually dropped the price by $70 dollars, so I got that refunded as well. Shipped to my door for under $500 with tax.

It was easy to set up, although I was disappointed in how it was packaged - one of the outfeed tables is slightly bowed at the side closest to the planer, where it is lower than the main table. On the outfeed side it isn't an issue. I did sprain my forearm carrying it up the hill. One day I'll get a hand truck.

I ran a cutoff of the soft maple I had leftover from the sideboard build. It was already thicknessed down to about 1.50", or slightly under it. I ran it through the Dewalt and I was shocked. The finish was like glass. Almost exactly like a piece of prefinished ply. I couldn't believe how smooth it was.

Now, before I overreact one way or the other, with the planers that you have, how close to finished is the piece after a pass? I'm really asking if my blades were that bad on the Ryobi, that good on the Dewalt or somewhere in the middle. BTW, it didn't really make a difference which setting on the Dewalt I used, both were smooth.

Comment

• greenacres2
                              • Dec 2011
                              • La Porte, IN
                              • Ryobi BT3000

On fresh knives, I can go straight to 220 grit. I've only had to flip once--and even at the end I still started to 150 grit. If the table is bowed, I'd suggest a call to Dewalt to see about replacement. Their suggested mounting height of the infeed and outfeed tables is at about a dime's thickness below the surface of the main table. I couldn't find that in the manuals for the planer or the tables, got the info from an online chat with their tech support people.

earl

Comment

Working...