• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It's Not Just Water

I saw this on the news. What a great idea IMO. Reminds me of the dye packs banks use.

• BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Very cool, but I'm wondering how they tracked him down to the point of being able to test for the smartwater. If the burglar/ thief/ perp isn't an idiot going to the same place over and over again, then I still think it's less likely you'll be able to find them quickly. Only if they get caught doing another unrelated crime, or if they're on parole already.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

That is pretty cool. Hard to believe that you can't readily wash it off after months of contact since it is water soluble.

I'm also wondering how they caught him unless they saw him in the act and just used the dye to prove he was in the bait car.

Nonetheless, still pretty cool that you can have your own custom coded dye to mark your property. Too bad it's not socially acceptable for us to urinate on items like our pets do to mark our stuff. That would be free.

Comment

• greenacres2
        • Dec 2011
        • La Porte, IN
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        Too bad it's not socially acceptable for us to urinate on items like our pets do to mark our stuff. That would be free.
        It's NOT?? Huh, I learn something new every day!!

earl

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by greenacres2
          It's NOT?? Huh, I learn something new every day!!

earl
          Thanks for your input. I have the rest of today.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Must be chemical markers in "unique combinations" that you test with a spectroscope.
            website is not very informative on the technology. How many combinations do they have?
            What if the crook has his own smartwater and applies it to himself and to anything he touches/steals. It would be like you mark your stuff with two X's and you show up and claim it he says I mark my stuff with 5 X's and lo and behold, you know its yours but it now has 5 X's on it. THe markers are additive in combination so they will be unreadble if used in combinations.

P.S. Here's one of the patents 5,811,152

kind of old filed in 1996 issued in 1998 it's 15 years old. It expires in March 2016.

the patent says the item is prepared as a solution based on a solvent which evaporates when applied. In the solvent solution is a either a visible marker or a covert flourescent marker (so the presence of the solution can be determined only by using UV light) The solution has trace elements. after evaporating it leaves trace elements behind, too. Trace elements are metals and organic compunds which are not normally found in the environment. COMBINATIONS OF UP TO THIRTY DIFFERENT ELEMENTS are possible giving over 1 billion combinations, each element is either present ot not present. X-ray fluorescence, inductively coupled plasma atomic emissions spectroscopy and half-dozen other equally dauntingly named tests can distinguish the presence or absence of the trace markers.

I still say you can defeat it in court if you mask it with another sample of the product. It would raise reasonable doubt.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-11-2013, 07:39 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Crooks will likely go stock up on the stuff.

Comment

Working...