• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

What A Racket

Yesterday starting about noon o'clock, locals in the neighborhood shot off fireworks up to about midnight thirty. Not just sparklers anymore, but the percussion mortar types. After dark we went outside to watch, and there was spewing of sparking debris very close to our house. I had visions of something hot landing on our roof, and starting a fire.

We didn't get much sleep, and either did our pets. They all followed us around, and the dogs were acting possessed. I was under the belief that some of those fireworks were illegal in Florida. Here's a guy that learned the hard way.

• phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
    Yesterday starting about noon o'clock, locals in the neighborhood shot off fireworks up to about midnight thirty. Not just sparklers anymore, but the percussion mortar types. After dark we went outside to watch, and there was spewing of sparking debris very close to our house. I had visions of something hot landing on our roof, and starting a fire.

We didn't get much sleep, and either did our pets. They all followed us around, and the dogs were acting possessed. I was under the belief that some of those fireworks were illegal in Florida. Here's a guy that learned the hard way.

Same here. About 10 PM I thought that WW III had started and my neighborhood was the first target. Think I'm going to be nappin' some today.
    Richard

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Here, too. Everything above a small firecracker is illegal in my neighborhood, but that didn't stop anyone. Several booms shook the house, and for a while around 11 pm I could practically read by the light of the rockets (no glare, and more colors than just red.)

I guess the perps assume the cops will be too busy busting other offenders that they'll go scot-free. So far, they're right.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by gsmittle
        I guess the perps assume the cops will be too busy busting other offenders that they'll go scot-free. So far, they're right.

g.
        There's just too many is my guess.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

at least they're not firing off handgun and automatic arms fire... or are they? I'd be just as worried about being hit by stray bullets. They come down almost as fast as they go up...
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Might be worthwhile to wear skull and shoulder protection if going outside. Don't look up either...if a descending projectile doesn't get you, one from a bird might.

Comment

• greenacres2
              • Dec 2011
              • La Porte, IN
              • Ryobi BT3000

With 3 dozen or so trees in our yard--i'm in the habit of not looking up for that very reason!!

earl

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by greenacres2
                With 3 dozen or so trees in our yard--i'm in the habit of not looking up for that very reason!!

earl
                Birdie birdie in the sky...

Dropped a white thing in my eye...

I didn't scream, I didn't cry...

But thank goodness cows don't fly.

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  if a descending projectile doesn't get you, one from a bird might.

Gertrude the Seagull (Red Skelton); "Hey Heathcliff, Have you seen the Smiths' new Buick?"
                  Heathcliff the Seagull (also Red Skelton): "Yeah, I've already spotted that one."
                  Richard

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by phrog
                    gertrude the seagull (red skelton); "hey heathcliff, have you seen the smiths' new buick?"
                    heathcliff the seagull (also red skelton): "yeah, i've already spotted that one."
                    Good one.

Comment

• woodturner
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Western Pennsylvania
                      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by gsmittle
                      I guess the perps assume the cops will be too busy busting other offenders that they'll go scot-free.
                      The police can't be everywhere - they rely on citizens to call in the complaints.

If people complained to the police they could enforce the law and put a stop to this.

Nothing but sparklers are legal in this area, and the police do enforce the laws. After we started calling in the complaints, we haven't had an issue with firecrackers, bottle rockets, or much else in my neighborhood in years.
                      --------------------------------------------------
                      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...