• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Sanding Belt Fixes

OK, here's the deal. You are on your last belt, and it breaks on the seam. You can't get another one instantly, but need to sand just for a short time to finish the last piece to get a finish on it before quitting for the day and being late for dinner.

What have you done to repair the belt, and how successful were you?

• JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I have never successfully repaired a sanding belt. I pick up the random orbit sander and finish. It isn't a perfect solution since the resulting wood may finish a bit different than it would with all belt sanding but that is what I have done.

Jim

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

Make a sanding block with the broken belt and scrap wood, and hand sand?

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by jdon
        Make a sanding block with the broken belt and scrap wood, and hand sand?
        Did you try to repair the belt?

Comment

• mpc
          • Feb 2005
          • Cypress, CA, USA.
          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Besides belt sander belts... anybody have luck fixing the long sandpaper strips used in drum sanders? Jet's belts seem to bust about 6 inches from one end... making it about an inch too short to reach the drum clamps. Arg. This happens even with the "SandSmart" automatic speed control that's supposed to vary stock feed rate in case the sanding/cutting depth is set too deep.

mpc

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I've never busted a sanding belt, but then I only have two tools which use them... an old (1974-vintage Craftsman hand-held) and the Ryobi bench-top belt/disc sander. With the latter, I use a rubber-like abrasive cleaner to keep it in good shape. For the Craftsman I only use it for the roughest of work, like cleaning old glue and other residue from stock I'm recycling. Those belts are fairly cheap, so I just replace them when worn out or gummed up, as the case usually is.

However, if desperate and faced with a broken belt I think I'd try duct tape on the back of the belt, probably for the full surface area for maximum adhession and so that there are no low spots on the belt. Not sure how this would work well, but that would be my attempt.

CWS
            Last edited by cwsmith; 06-26-2013, 10:40 AM.
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jdon
              Established Member
              • Feb 2010
              • Snoqualmie, Wash.
              • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
              Did you try to repair the belt?
              Sorry- I've never had a belt break. It just seems that something like duct tape wouldn't have the strength and adhesiveness to sustain the torque and bending that a sanding belt undergoes. Also, it sounded as though you were nearly finished with the sanding, ergo, resort to hand sanding.

Comment

Working...