Should There Be A Charge For An Estimate?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

that would depend greatly upon the nature of the quote.
    For example a quote to carpet a living room of 18 ft x 20 ft with such and such brand/model with padding should be straightforward and not subject to significant variation. This kind of quote should be free. since the your cost per square foot of labor is known and the builders supply can give you the material cost quickly.

But a quote for a complex remodel with a lot of specifications and possibly some preliminary design work to determine the amount of materials, that might be a differrnt thing. The quoter almost has to give the quotee a complete plan drawing to show that the work being quoted was in accordance with what the quotee wanted. In which case it might be reasonable to pay a fee for the quote that was refundable or waived if the contract was accepted.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-02-2013, 01:18 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      But a quote for a complex remodel with a lot of specifications and possibly some preliminary design work to determine the amount of materials, that might be a differrnt thing. The quoter almost has to give the quotee a complete plan drawing to show that the work being quoted was in accordance with what the quotee wanted. In which case it might be reasonable to pay a fee for the quote that was refundable or waived if the contract was accepted.
      It can be tough for a new business starting out, before they have earned a reputation and built a client base. They almost have to give free estimates to get some initial customers.

If the business is in a commodity business - carpeting, kitchen cabinets, wood flooring, etc. - it will be tough to get anyone to pay for estimates, I think.

I was fortunate enough to "fall into" a specialized business early on, where there are only a handful of options. This business is not particularly cost conscious and often estimates are not given. I am often hired based on my reputation and clientele, with no estimates given.

One key difference with this business area is that we are dealing mostly with other businesses rather than residential customers. I think it is much harder to get away from free estimates if a business is dealing with the general public and doing any residential work other than really high end work.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by woodturner

I was fortunate enough to "fall into" a specialized business early on, where there are only a handful of options. This business is not particularly cost conscious and often estimates are not given. I am often hired based on my reputation and clientele, with no estimates given.
        You've been mentioning this high end exclusive work for a while. Why not just post work in progress pictures. You don't have to mention names, and that wouldn't violate any client privacy rights. After all, this is a woodworking forum and pictures like that would be very interesting.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

The contractors rep that meets the customer and provides the estimate, whether it be the owner of the company or a paid employee is a salesman. The contractor should have a person in this job with a beaming personality that will interact well with the customer and "assist" the customer in making a decision. This could be the difference in the contractor picking up the work and additional work the customer wanted. The plans do not have to be much more than sketches on note book paper, you do not have to give the cost of every piece of hardware. If the salesmans personality is like Les on Hardcore Pawn, then the job is lost.
          I deal with contractors daily. Gov. policy prohibits us soliciting free estimates, so it is only estimates from contractors that charge for estimates. That leaves out 99% of the locals that do not qualify because they do NOT charge for estimates. Lawyers have gotten into the picture, that is the reason for this. This system works terrible, awful, I hate it.
          capncarl

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
            C-man, I have seen you raise this issue in the past - or at least the fact that you were getting your work ripped off and then shopped around. Kitchen cabinet bids are a commodity, I don't think you should charge for them as it would limit your work. The higher end custom work, however, where the design is essentially what you are selling needs to be protected. For that, you may want to look into having the client sign a clause like the interior designers do. And of course, they have their design fee upfront regardless of whether you have them do the work. I would suggest that you leave out some crucial pieces of the puzzle such that if the client decides to use your design, the other shop will have to do enough work to make them think twice in the future from working off of your sketches.
            In the early days I did quite a few "estimates". But once established, most of my work came from repeat designers and architects that weren't "shopping". Very few shops were able to do my level of custom work. That established clientele is money in the bank.

For the most part residential and commercial clients that require more than just an on-the-spot quote agree to a fee if further design and meetings are required.

Comment

Working...