• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I Have A Gloat

It's been an interesting week. I enjoyed my new lawnmower, if you can call cutting grass enjoyment. I got two old lawnmowers out of the shed. I needed the extra room. I was planning on just putting them out for bulk pick up, but thought about calling the John Deere dealer to see if they would buy them.

The dealer offered a high of $20 each, and I thought...hey it's better than nothing. So, I had visions of getting both of them into my Explorer, driving about 10 miles, unloading them, and hope for $40.

I had never tried Craigslist or Back Page, and thought it might be worth a try. I placed the ad, and in two days sold them for $100. Both mowers were free to me, and I only used one for over 10 years, and don't remember changing the plug (I might have one time).

So, adding to the gloat is my good experience with CL. I'm going to gather "stuff" that I'll never use and put it up for sale.

• JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I love selling stuff on CL. I know the "What can I get rid of next" high very well.

Congrats.
    Joe

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

You old gloat !
      Richard

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by JoeyGee
        I love selling stuff on CL. I know the "What can I get rid of next" high very well.

Congrats.
        Thanks. It is definitely a high. LOML could care less about the money but was overjoyed to see the old mowers gone.

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by phrog
          You old gloat !
          I say that to myself every time as I sneak up on the mirror to shave.

Comment

• Crockett
            Established Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Buffalo, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

good for you Cabman!! Certainly worth a gloat (or two)!!!
            Al

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I can agree with your gloat. I've found CL a good resource to buy and sell, despite the setbacks sometimes (prospective buyers set up a time and don't show up, or sellers' descriptions don't match up, etc), but overall it's a quick way to get rid of stuff you want gone.

Congrats on the extra room regained, and the money to boot!
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

I am glad you listened to that smart man ;-) and used CL, now enjoy a hearty you suck. Tis a worthy gloat.
                Last edited by chopnhack; 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM.
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by JoeyGee

Congrats.
                  +1

That is like found money!

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                    +1

That is like found money!
                    It really is. Initially I was just going to put the mowers out for bulk pick up.

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I use to brouse through CL quite often and have had several good transactions there. Last month I tried to sell a small boat/motor/trailer on CL and was wrapped up with scammers. That prompted me to do some research on craigslist scammers and found that it is infested with them. It is international. 2 of my scammers had pages and pages of write ups on the internet. Anything of more value than a couple of hundred bucks sould warrant a lot of caution. Because of this experience I was very disapointed in CL and see it in a different light.
                      capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I've probably sold about 20-30 items on CL over the years. I don't think that's a lot, but enough to give my own stats on scammers. I haven't had any problems except for just once this past winter. The guy was interested in a $250 couch. He couldn't come look at it but said he would buy it and needed a few days to find a truck. Anyway, too many e-mails back and forth and I just said forget it. Not sure if he was trying to run a scam but the only really odd interaction I've had.

For the most part I've met some really nice, genuine people just looking to get a good deal (as a buyer or seller).

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Originally posted by capncarl
                          I use to brouse through CL quite often and have had several good transactions there. Last month I tried to sell a small boat/motor/trailer on CL and was wrapped up with scammers. That prompted me to do some research on craigslist scammers and found that it is infested with them. It is international. 2 of my scammers had pages and pages of write ups on the internet. Anything of more value than a couple of hundred bucks sould warrant a lot of caution. Because of this experience I was very disapointed in CL and see it in a different light.
                          capncarl
                          I'm aware of the possibility of scams. I advertised in my specific area, for a very common product. Lawnmowers this time of the year are a popular item to sell.

Since I had such good luck, I was thinking of advertising some Weber sidedraft carburetors. The carbs are racing type carbs, and the manifolds are for a specific engine. There is a website for that brand of automobile, and I'm told the parts sell there very well. I don't have a Pay Pal account, and don't really want to deal with a distant buyer. I would rather try a local ad first and see if there are any hits. So. I'll give CL and Back Page another try.

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

I was suprised at the value level of the items the scammers worked on. My boat was only $1500. The scam of the day was to send a pre pay check for the item and send a shipping co to pick it up later. It never got to the point where they paid too much and expected me to send the overage back, later to find that they had paid with a bad check. ...Idiots.... I went along though and told them that the boat could be picked up at xxxx address and the keys could be picked up inside the building. The address is for the nearby Lee State Prision. Other scammers were calling about $200. items I had for sale and they would pay additional for shipping. Probably by counterfit money orders. There does not seem to be an end to them, and no sign that law enforcement gives a hoot.
                            capncarl

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

I buy and sell on CL quite a bit. For sales I only deal face to face with local buyers. For e mail responses I require specific subject change and delete any responses that do not comply.
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                              Fools because they have to say something.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...