• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Are You Close To A Nuclear Power Plant?

There is one north and one south of me. Each is about 60 miles away.

• twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

We are about 20 miles from the prairie island plant. I have a new brother in law that works there. No idea what he does.
    Chr's

Comment

• sscherin
      • Dec 2003
      • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Oh just a few..

William's Law--
      There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
      cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• schloff
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Southern Middle TN
        • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

Browns Ferry. Yessir.

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

Close enough to a few that my Haz-Mat team trains for it.

earl

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant was about 6 miles from my old house. Now it's about 30 miles away.

It was close enough that we had sirens, evacuation route signs, and they'd mail you potassium iodide pills.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Has to google it. 3 near Houston are the closest to me, about 2 hrs away.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

This one close to Sacramento 20 miles, but I was closed and dismantled a number of years ago, Mid 90's `The cooling towers and reactor building are still there as are the fuel rods which are kept in pool inside a very secure building. The will be there until the Government build a place for long range storage. I think most of the equipment as be disposed of and is not longer there. So the danger of a nuclear accident is still there, just not as bad as before. This plant was had nothing but problems and finally we had an election and voted to shut it down. It as owned by our local electric company so we had a say it what happened to it. There is a nice park and lake next to it with campgrounds, and fishing an hiking. The lake was designed for emergency cooling of the reactor and water for the cooling towers. No the fish that we catch do not glow or are weird looking

Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Pappy
                  Has to google it. 3 near Houston are the closest to me, about 2 hrs away.
                  Pappy there's only 2 reactor units at the STNP near Bay City, TX.
                  Not 3.
                  There's also 2 reactor units at Comanche Peak, 50 mi SW of Fort Worth. Probably 3 hrs from you.

STNP is about 75 miles from me.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-22-2013, 01:02 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by twistsol
                    We are about 20 miles from the prairie island plant. I have a new brother in law that works there. No idea what he does.
                    Twenty miles seems pretty close. But, I guess nuclear wise, distance is subjective.

Comment

• DaveSur
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Ooltewah, TN

6.3 miles SSE of Sequoyah.

Comment

• durango dude
                        • Mar 2011
                        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

well - no nuclear power near me (natural gas and coal are all around us) - but our area is home to a lot of uranium mines.

Two of the country's biggest uranium mining regions are nearby. In fact, we have a place, Smelter Mountain - that used to refine materials for the Manhattan Project.

Years ago, I lived about 15 miles away from Three Mile Island (Harrisburg area), and I've also lived near Calvert Cliffs.

Nuclear stuff used to give me nasty dreams. Now that my son is a nuclear power guy for the Navy (known as Navy Nukes), I've learned to set aside the fear.

Heck - even the hippie Stewart Brand thinks Nuclear Power is one of many keys to a greener tomorrow.

Comment

• phrog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by DaveSur
                          6.3 miles SSE of Sequoyah.
                          You must live next door to me. My mailing address is Chattanooga but 3 or four houses down the road, the address changes to Ooltewah.
                          Richard

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

Google says that to drive to Summer is 36.6 miles from my house. Looking at the map I would guess I am more like 20 miles away. Doesn't bother me a bit. I wouldn't mind being lots closer except for the traffic. A nuclear plant will have around 1000 workers and usually they are in out of the way places where there is one main road, typically 2 lanes, in and out. So there is a bit of traffic.

The only people injured at TMI were from traffic accidents. People would have been better off just to stay put. There was very little radiation released. For an industrial facility, a nuclear plant is an unusually good neighbor. Coal plants give off more radiation than nuclear units (because there are trace amounts of radioactive material in the coal and it's release is uncontrolled). In theory, there are some accidents where there might be a release that is a little significant but it hasn't happened in the U. S.. Even at Fukushima in Japan the health risk from the radiation release is very low.

I wouldn't want to live next to a Russian designed plant, however, especially one like Chernoybl. But there are none outside Russia and their former satellites. They've also been upgraded and are safer than they used to be.

I prefer to live in residential neighborhoods instead of rural areas where nuclear plants are located. But if I had to live next to an industrial plant, I would want it to be a nuclear plant. They are cleaner and safer than anything else I can think of.

If you want to live close, Indian Point and Vermont Yankee are in residential areas. People live just outside the protected area of the plant (hundreds of yards from the reactor, not miles). Indian Point is a park like setting. Not so bad for living next to a major industrial plant. I haven't been to Vermont Yankee but I understand it is also nice around that plant.

Jim
                            Last edited by JimD; 04-22-2013, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• TB Roye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                              • BT3100

Just checked there are over 150 Nuke plants in Europe not count Russia. There are even a few new ones being built. The one buy Sacramento was a bad design nothing but problems. Then it became a political football and was voted on to be closed. The main problem wasn't the treat of a Nuclear accident as in a melt down but it was never on line because equipment design. Once the politicians and Environmentalist got involved they had people believing we would start glowing any day. This was after 3 mile Island and the hysteria that followed out hear.

Comment

Working...