X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Some slight changes - opinions needed please

I made my master plan for the shop late last year and finalized it in January. It's been a great help to my wallet and my mind as I moved forward with concrete plans on where things would go, and what would fit, and what I needed.

Six months later the plan definitely still works, however after months of use I am cognizant that it needs some minor tweaking. As I'm finishing up the workbench, I examined other spots it could go so I could have full access to the left side of the bench. After several hours in Sketchup I realized that where it is going is the absolute best spot. I'll have to drag it out a bit at times, but that's fine.

Here is an approximation of my shop right now.

If it looks familiar, it's because I posted it months ago and I've been following this plan to the letter. It works pretty dang well.

Now, for what's changed:

over the past several weeks I've been using my jointer and planer very heavily. I've been jointing 3' and 6' boards, and I've been moving my planer (and jointer, but it's right there) to the entryway and running them from outside the door towards the back wall. This has worked well, but I was thinking if that's where I will primarily plane, I should maybe have it closer to the door. I've never used the planer where it is, mainly because the outfeed tables don't clear the neighboring surfaces. On the cart, the outfeed table is nearly perfect with the surface of my saw, making a natural outfeed extension. My jointer I can just shove a bit closer to the door (it's on a cart, but two wheels are fixed).

I've also noticed I rarely use the router table. Partly because there's not a ton of room to pull it out from it's cubby and hook up the vac. I was thinking when I rebuilt (read: finished) the router table, I'd ditch the cubby and just have it at counter height so I could use it where it was, and pull it out only if need be for long or wide pieces. Either way, I would gain greater access to the dust port on the rear, or I could design something where it exits out the bottom and front.

This is what I've come up with so far:

Move the bandsaw a little closer to the jointer, put the drill press next to the bandsaw, and move the planer cart over to where the drill press was. I obviously haven't finished the back wall yet, and that's where I could use some ideas. In my original plans the spot where the miter saw was was a modular tool station, and modules could either fit there, or the gap where the planer cart rolled into. So the miter saw could move over if needed, or I could put a sharpening module, pocket jig module or dovetail jig module in either spot. Whatever I needed that was light. I'd like to retain one spot where I could do that, I think. I also need to make a home for the new mortiser, because at 68lbs I don't want to be lifting it up and off a bench. I could put this on a permanent small wall shelf if I have to, but bench height is preferred.

So looking at both graphics, anything come to mind?
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

A couple of things leap to mind for me, and only because not including them in my sketchup drawings kind of bit me in the tail...

Where's the dust collection? Shop vac, or DC, they both suck up space... I don't see any there. Might be in a cab or something that I am missing.

Also smaller tools, supplies such as cans, drills, circ saws etc... Doesn't have to be accurate models, but show where the stuff will be...

I agree on your bench location, probably the best spot you have...

I sure would like to see the sketchup file, so you have it shared in the warehouse?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Vac is under the table saw extension, separator is the orange bucket to the left of the saw. Actually, it sits between the outrigger, so no space to be saved by moving it.

In the top image, I have storage over the sander (drill bits, etc), plus three large drawers in the other cabinet. I'm more concerned about the big stuff, then I'll find room for the little stuff. I have some stuff on French cleats, and I can use more of those around the walls as well.

Last time I tried to upload the file, it was deemed too large.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Be careful of the "little stuff" It sucks up FAR more space than you'd expect...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

That can be true. I think I've come to terms with eliminating my router table, which should free up a bit of floor space, but take up some small storage space.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Well, I built my Thein, and I don't have a good place to put it. It's possible I could put it where the vac is, and move that under the workbench, but it creates some hose routing issues.

Something that's intriguing is possibly making a vac/separator stack in the corner, with the vac on top. It would take up most of a corner, but it would allow me to mostly enclose the vac and keep the separator near the entrance. I could also build it slightly off the front wall and create a space to store my sheet cutoffs. The question then becomes, what do I store under the saw to keep my space maximized. No real good options that I can think of.

I'm tired of not having enough space.

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Just when you think you run out of options, new ones open in their place.

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

I've spent the last few weeks during projects looking at what annoys me about my shop, and trying to incorporate solutions into a design.

This is pretty much what I have right now:

The drill press is almost unusable with the scrap plywood and MDF piled around it. I will be divesting most of it, but I think I should move my mobile needs to the front. I have to move the planer for any miter cuts, and the location is hard to navigate with the workbench. I also have to move it to the front for any planing. The sander cabinet is constantly blocked by this rolling scrap bin I have. It's too big, and I have too much. Needs to be eliminated.

This is what I thought I was going to do:

I see a few problems. The miter cabinets would have to be elevated to be able to store the jointer under the left side, and that area would have no support. Also, only a couple of inches clearance under the wall rack, making thicker items to be crosscut problematic. The vac/cyclone (in cabinets next to the saw) aren't in a great area to connect to tools, especially the saw since it slides out. Would also effectively halve the extension of the saw table. I still have to wheel the planer off of the back wall to use it. There's no spot for a router table. The drill press would be hard to move for longer pieces.

And this is what I am thinking of now:

I'm going back to the idea of having a full router table on the right of my saw (meaning, storage built in) It would slide back and forth with the saw, and also be able to detach for the saw or the router table to be wheeled outside for oversize operation.

The jointer goes to the other corner, as does the wall rack (again). The air compressor and air reel join it, with the router cubby. The vac gets put into an enclosed cart that has the planer on top, and at the front left corner. The cyclone is in a cabinet next to it. The miter depression is widened for a SCMS and my idea of modular stations is shelved. The HCM gets it's own mobile cart, and full sheets of plywood should be able to be stored behind it, the bandsaw and drill press. I've never had that ability. The bandsaw and drill press should be able to swap places with each other or the HCM cart for longer stock.

The entire left wall becomes storage area, where the saw till, hand tool cabinet and smaller items go. The back wall, above 4 feet, will be for odds and ends like a detailing cabinet and possibly the finish cabinet.

Comment

• worcmedic
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2012
                  • Central Massachusetts

You had a very well planned layout for your shop and I love the hard work you have done with Sketchup including the graphics. I am sorry if you have already mentioned it in the past but how big is your shed / shop? I did not see any measurements given in your drawings.

I am in the process of cleaning out a spare room in my house to set up an in door shop as my wife suggested. Great wife huh? She is a doll and very supportive since I am disabled. Due to be living on a pond and having a very high water table, it eliminates the use of the basement for a shop and I do not have a garage. The room I am using is approximately 12x12 with a large closet along one wall which is about three feet deep.

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

The interior dimensions are 11.5' in both directions. Thanks for the kind words.

Going to unveil the new router table design here in a minute.

Comment

• worcmedic
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2012
                      • Central Massachusetts

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                      The interior dimensions are 11.5' in both directions. Thanks for the kind words.

Wow! I guess I can do a lot with a 12x12 room then if I was to follow your plan which seems to be working for you. I only have a small 10" contractors direct drive table saw,a 6" grinder, 16" scroll saw, a 12" sliding compound miter saw, a bench top drill press and a bench top router table. I am looking to get a 2 stage cyclone, a 6-8" bench top jointer / planer and a 13" surface planer. A drum sander would be nice too but not sure on my room. I would also like to get a 10" Rigid cabinet saw in the future but may not have room. Maybe I can store the tools when not in use under the bench and put them on the bench when needed. I have some kitchen base cabinets and counter tops in storage I am planning on using. Thank you for the great ideas in your original plans!

Comment

• worcmedic
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Oct 2012
                        • Central Massachusetts

Originally posted by CocheseUGA

I also have a large variety of hand power tools from powers sanders, drills, biscuit joiner, zip saw and just too many to list here. A collection from my last 40 years or so. They are all mostly Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt, Portacable and Freud other than a couple of items from Harbor Freight. Due to being disabled, it is hard to buy the big names when I need a specific tool for just one project. So far, I have had great luck with their stuff but always read and go by the reviews that are given.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by worcmedic
                          Wow! I guess I can do a lot with a 12x12 room then if I was to follow your plan which seems to be working for you. I only have a small 10" contractors direct drive table saw,a 6" grinder, 16" scroll saw, a 12" sliding compound miter saw, a bench top drill press and a bench top router table. I am looking to get a 2 stage cyclone, a 6-8" bench top jointer / planer and a 13" surface planer. A drum sander would be nice too but not sure on my room. I would also like to get a 10" Rigid cabinet saw in the future but may not have room. Maybe I can store the tools when not in use under the bench and put them on the bench when needed. I have some kitchen base cabinets and counter tops in storage I am planning on using. Thank you for the great ideas in your original plans!
                          I would strongly suggest getting your hands on Sketchup, and learning to use it (it has some great built in tutorials). It can help you lay out what space you have very effectively without having to move things around too much physically.

Comment

• worcmedic
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Oct 2012
                            • Central Massachusetts

Well, I have half that battle won. I recently got Sketchup, now to learn to use it. I have been just doing it the old fashioned way with a drawing board, T-Square, triangle and one inch graph paper.

Comment

• Cochese
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2010

Sketchup is really an invaluable tool. However, you really need to get your major tools and such imported or drawn in to get a really good and accurate representation of your space.

My layout isn't perfect. There's still more space I can squeeze out, and some things I do might not work for you. I'm not a fan of the flip cart, but it might work for you.

Comment

Working...