Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Edge Trimming Plane

Do you have an edge trimming plane?

Over the weekend I needed to fine tune some cutouts in some 1/4" ply I was using for a torsion-box shelf. A minature edge trimming plane I got from Lee Valley sure did work well (once I rememberd I had it). I'd really like to get some full size ones now. Veritas Edge Plane

They are not cheap, but most of the decent Stanley No. 95's I've seen run in a similar price range. Lie-Nielson's bronze reproductions run $150. http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=95
    Erik
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

EriK,

Years ago, I purchased the Bronze edge plane that Lee Valley used to make. At that time it was almost affordable. Don't use it all the time, but when I have to, there's nothing that comes close to it.
    I only wish mine had the adjustment mechanism that the iron ones now have.
    But that's just nit-picking. It's a great tool for specialized tasks Just go and buy one.
    Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Those are wee tiny little things!
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Yea, they are tiny, but still very functional. Setup is a little more difficult on something that small. When it comes time to sharpen the blades I'll probably just buy a new iron. I picked up that miniature shoulder plane a few years ago when it first came out too. It's great for fine tuning 1/4" drawer and box bottom slots. A full size edge trimmer wouldn't have fit in a couple places I needed to trim.

I probably will get the Veritas set, eventually. Most of my planes are rehabbed Stanleys. I think the most I paid was $75 for a No 8c. I used to think that spending as much as Veritas or Lie Neilson wants for their products was crazy. I picked up a Veritas Low angle Jack recently and I realized that their prices weren't bad for something that works as well as their planes do. That LA Jack straight out of the box was making shavings off of some hard maple thinner than the tolerances of my measuring tools. I was extremely impressed. I think a Veritas block plane to replace my Groz is next on the list.
        Erik

Comment

Working...