• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

California Table Saw Safety Act

Looks like the latest proposed legislation in Calofornia has moved a step closer to being law:

Erik
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Boy, am I glad I don't live in California. I can see making the technology available, but to mandate it is too much.

I'll bet what's-his-face from SawStop is grinning from ear-to-ear.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Looks like the 'up to a $5000 fine' for selling a saw was amended out.
      Erik

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

"The current technology does, however, increase the manufacturing cost slightly." I wonder how they define "slightly?"

Big Brother is watching you.
        Richard

Comment

• Dal300
          Banned
          • Aug 2011
          • East Central Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Don't Californicate Oregon!

Comment

• tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008

"“I can walk away from the saw and leave the students to work independently on it and can be assured that they won’t be injured,” said Bueti"

Glad he wasn't my shop teacher, How dumb is that not teaching proper safety methods thereby reducing accidents, still won't stop kickback,Wonder if he's still gonna feel that way when a student gets his teeth knocked out with a wayward board from kickback that according to his statement he walked away from

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It's the tip of the iceberg. Greed, arrogance, ignorance, and the quest for total control at it's finest. Sometimes people really tick me off....this is one of those times.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Hey don't knock my state we will have bullet train to nowhere and we can have as many partents as we want. Cradle to grave that's Californi. Saw Stop will be mandatory. AT my age the BT3 will last as long as I am able to use it. We leave along with BIL on August 15 to start looking for a place to live. Idaho, Montana, Texas and Arizona. If we find a place we like we will buy and walk away from our current houses and the Sec 8 neighborhood thet are now in. They are so far underwater I should be able to use my mandatory flood insurance to pay it off. I have live here all my life but I have had enough. The 4th finished it for us.

Tom

Comment

• T...K21
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2012
                  • Southern Idaho
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by tommyt654
                  "“I can walk away from the saw and leave the students to work independently on it and can be assured that they won’t be injured,” said Bueti"

Glad he wasn't my shop teacher, How dumb is that not teaching proper safety methods thereby reducing accidents, still won't stop kickback,Wonder if he's still gonna feel that way when a student gets his teeth knocked out with a wayward board from kickback that according to his statement he walked away from
                  My shop teacher took his thumb out with a TS during class. It was definitely a lesson for the day.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by TB Roye
                    We leave along with BIL on August 15 to start looking for a place to live. Idaho, Montana, Texas and Arizona. If we find a place we like we will buy and walk away from our current houses and the Sec 8 neighborhood thet are now in. Tom
                    Texas is one of the states with no state income tax, and a few years ago there was a constitutional amendment passed that requires voter approval to implement one. That may not help you, though. My FIL moved from San Clemente to Winlock, WA after he retired from the Post Office. California told him that since the work to qualify him for a retirement income was performed in California, he still had to pay income tax to them.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Every time this topic comes up it's pretty much the same type of discussion. Some people are too ignorant to take safety to heart, or to learn good operating technique. The stats for accidents lay heavy on the cases where no safety devices were used. So, some people need protection from their own doing. The question remains that if the supplied or accessible safety devices were used, would the number of cases have been appreciably less. I'm thinkin' yes.

To have a safety device forced into use, automotive safety/seat belts might fall into that group. Now...you can't buy a car without them, and their cost is part of the price of the car. Funny thing though, some people still don't use them. It will definitely be interesting to see how the whole issue turns out.

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by cabinetman
                        The question remains that if the supplied or accessible safety devices were used, would the number of cases have been appreciably less. I'm thinkin' yes.
                        I would agree with your Yes assumption too. I still haven't found a thing talking about the last CSPC revision to include riving knives on new saws and if the regulation helped and by how much. I would bet it helped though. A lot of the data that the proposed California legislation and the possible CSPC revisions is from before the riving knives and new guards were implemented. I'd like to see some more research done before anything new is legislated.

I bet there will be some sweet table saw deals toward the end of 2014 in Cali. from everyone trying to unload any 'soon to be illegal to sell saws' if it passes.
                        Erik

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

Pappy

I think that law was over turned a few years ago. I know there was a court case about it. California leans so far to to one side it could slide off into the Pacific Ocean. The passed a balance budget on time this year but if we vote down a tax increase in November it is all for naught. They passed budget with a lot hoopla and with in a few days the decide to build the bullet train to nowhere. go figure. I just need to live some place where common sence rules.

Comment

• All Thumbs
                            Established Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • Penn Hills, PA
                            • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by Pappy
                            California told him that since the work to qualify him for a retirement income was performed in California, he still had to pay income tax to them.
                            I'm not surprised they would try that, but that didn't fly, did it? If that had worked, I'd think every state in the union would be trying the same scam.

Comment

• TB Roye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                              • BT3100

From what I found out and remember. I you move to a state without state income tax you pay California. I you move to a state with state income tax you pay that states income tax. California at one time was collecting CA state income tax no matter where you live. Personally I rather pay in a state where I get something for my money. A lot of states have lower tax rates than CA.

Tom

Comment

Working...