• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Modifying a Moser table?

Here's a neat article over at popular woodworking about possibly modifying a Moser table.

Erik
  • Carpenter96
    Established Member
    • Aug 2011
    • Barrie ON Canada
    • BT 3000

Redo

Hi I think the difference between an artist and a craftsperson is that the artist very often says (in todays world) it is my vision that you are buying and if you don't like it don't buy it. In times gone by artists only existed because of their patrons. It was the same for craftspersons but we remember that it is the customer that has a need and we provide the skill and vision to help the customer get what they want. You can't become personally attached to the piece. Regards Bob

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

IMO, it's easy to get attached to a piece of furniture. For one in the article that served his family, modifying it keeps it in the family. If one has the skills to do it, it would make a nice project. Definitely worthwhile of "hubby points".

A good example. I made a dining table for the first house I bought in 1977. It was from Red Oak and CVG Fir. I sold the house in 1992 and moved in with my present wife. We continued to use that table in her apartment for 3 years, then bought a villa, and used it. In 1999 we bought our present home and used it until 2006 when LOML decided she wanted a "Dining Room Set", which was primarily furniture that was "Ours". I had no time to build anything, so off we went to furniture stores and got what her heart picked out.

The Oak table remained in her use. It was 42"x72" and she thought it would work out as a sewing table. It is a Parson's table, and there aren't any stretchers or aprons to modify. So, I took out a section, leaving it 24" wide. Cut the legs down and installed locking casters, and now it will live on.

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Few months ago Metropolitan Museum in NY had an exposition of furniture by Duncan Phyfe (early 1800s). There were several dozens of pieces that all came from the same shop. Looking at each piece individually you think of that furniture as art but when you see many of them side by side you quickly identify a finite number of decorative elements repeated in all pieces. Each element is like a lego block and all the furniture pieces are put together out of those legos. After this you understand that in reality this was craftsmanship, not art. The major achievement of Duncan Phyfe was that he put together a factory where a number of craftsmen (his apprentices) were putting together volume production of craft work where each piece separately was percieved by the amateurs as art. I am sure back at that time there were more people capable of producing works of art as good as those. Duncan Phyfe's uniqueness is a combination of craftsmanship with managerial talent to create volume production of furniture that could pass for art rather than craft. So the line between art vs craft is really blurry.
        Returning to this discussion - I think cutting the Moser table is silly. The purchase price of that table back in 1979 was $650, today smaller table goes for $5000. Clearly the table appreciated in price, most likely because it became collectable. In other words - the name "Moser" attached to that table increases its market value. If you are ready to cut that table - it does not mean much to you. You also have skills that allow you to make a table that satisfies your need - otherwise this whole topic is pointless. So your best bet - sell the table as collectable to somebody who appreciates it for the name (not back to Moser for a "full refund") and make yourself a new table. If you cut "Moser" table yourself - it will no longer be a "Moser" table and its value will decrease.
        Alex V

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

Rant on-

Emotional attachment or not, I believe it to be "criminal" to modify any of Tom's work.

The man is a true master "artist/craftsman" and just because you need a smaller object, cutting it down is akin to shrinking a Picasso to fit between two windows or pieces of furniture.

Owning something of this nature (and not the curb crap that's sold at Ikea) warrants a responsibility on the owners part, and modifying it really sucks.

For some dumb reason, especially in the U.S., we tend to overlook the intrinsic value of a true work of art, just as we do with older architecture, how many great houses build in the "Arts and Crafts" or Greene and Greene Style have we demolished for some bland "cookie cutter" sub-division.

And in my opinion, the blind jerk who first designed the "High Ranch" style of housing should be drawn and quartered.

rant off-

Bruce
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• All Thumbs
            Established Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Penn Hills, PA
            • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by vaking
            So your best bet - sell the table as collectable to somebody who appreciates it for the name (not back to Moser for a "full refund") and make yourself a new table. If you cut "Moser" table yourself - it will no longer be a "Moser" table and its value will decrease.
            The writer had said the kids had left the house. I wonder whether anyone of the KIDS would want the DR table. My inclination would be to put it safely away until another family member expressed an interest in having the table. In the meantime, build my own replacement, in the style of the Moser table

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Does it make financial sense to do it? No.
              Does it make sense from it being a piece of furniture that both inspired ones work and had lots of family memories on it? Maybe.

It is just a thing after all and it isn't even mine to decide. To each their own.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• TCOTTLE
                Established Member
                • May 2009
                • Greenbush Maine
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen

The man is a true master "artist/craftsman" and just because you need a smaller object, cutting it down is akin to shrinking a Picasso to fit between two windows or pieces of furniture.

For some dumb reason, especially in the U.S., we tend to overlook the intrinsic value of a true work of art
                I think unfortunately T. Moser has overlook this value as well judging from his response in the article; As well as the fact that he sells his work at the BORG.

Comment

Working...