• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

WOW, A cool chest!

I just saw the coolest chest I've ever seen in person! The studley chest is much better, but I didn't get to lay my hands on those tools.

I was getting my mattock back from my neighbor (that he borrowed a few years ago) and during the conversation we started talking about old tools. He asked if I'd ever seen the chest he had with the old tools. I was picturing a small tote with a bunch of turn of the century and later tools.

His mother or grandmother was an antique dealer. He ended up with a large chest of almost pristine condition tools. The chest isn't fancy, no dovetails or any special joinery. It looks like it measures 24x24x36 or so. Brass corners and handles, wood wheeled casters. They're using it as a coffee table now. When he opened it my jaw couldn't drop any further.

The top opened up with a nice bowsaw attached. There were two trays with some tools that I didn't recognize at all, some measuring tools, and some huge square cut nails. I couldn't see a speck of rust on anything. Lots of planes inside, all wood. At first guess I think the original owner made windows judging by the type of wood rabbit planes and the shape of the cuts they'd make.

I'm guessing that the tools haven't been used since the 1870's or earlier. There wasn't anything in there that I'd even consider remotely modern, except for a wrench and a couple other pieces maybe.

Hopefully I'll be photographing the contents in the near future. There was some really cool stuff in there!
    Erik
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Looking forward to some pictures. I love chests like that. For as good a condition as the tools were, they must have been kept in a controlled environment. Maybe they were coated with something at some time.

I've run across one a time or two at flea markets, with some good stuff and some junk. I keep my eye out for some interesting joinery, which may be an indicator of what's inside.

Comment

• BeauxTi
      Established Member
      • Jan 2012
      • Georgetown Texas
      • Ryobi BT300

Maybe he forgot to return something else, so you can get Pics.. Love to see them "Old School Rules".
      Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

It'll probably be a week or two before I have some time to shoot it properly. I might be able ot go over ahd take some rough shots with my canon point&shoot sooner.
        Erik

Comment

Working...