• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Flexzilla Air Hose

Has anyone heard anything about the Flexzilla Air Hose, or used one? Lee Valley obtained some and has them on special right now (limited quantities)
    Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

I picked up a Kobalt 100' PU hose last year. I like it, but it can be a bit unruly at times.
    Erik
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I have a Hitachi 50' PU hose that I got on Loring's recommendation. There are a lot of things I like about it, and a few things I hate. It's nice and light, very flexible, and puts up with my abuse very well, but it tangles very easily. I think a hose reel would fix my problems with it, but I don't want to bother, at least not yet... The irritation is only mild, and infrequent... Just gives me something to complain about instead of having real problems...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I have one of those Flexzilla hoses. They're nice but they also are not quite what I expected it would be. They claim to not have coil memory but mine does as I still need to keep twisting the end of the hose when I uncoil it. The thing I like the most about it though is that it's very light weight. You hardly realize you're dragging a hose around behind you.

Comment

• jseklund
        Established Member
        • Aug 2006

I have one, and I think it is completely awesome. It's so much more flexible than the PVC stuff, it seems to have held up very well over the past 4 years or so, and it has a little memory but not much. Buy it, you'll be happy.
        F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

It looks very interesting and hearing a comment that it's light might make me want to try it. I've been using rubber hoses, and the coil type. I tried one of the blue PU hoses because it was very light, and I like that about it. It's not just dragging the hose, but when attached to an air tool, a light hose can make use on a daily basis less strenuous.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
            I have a Hitachi 50' PU hose that I got on Loring's recommendation. There are a lot of things I like about it, and a few things I hate. It's nice and light, very flexible, and puts up with my abuse very well, but it tangles very easily. I think a hose reel would fix my problems with it, but I don't want to bother, at least not yet... The irritation is only mild, and infrequent... Just gives me something to complain about instead of having real problems...
            I bought one of those $6 orange electrical extension cord reels that has a black hand grip in the middle and a crank on the outside of the spool, that they sell at the box hardware stores. Easily holds 50' PU hose and much more. I wind my PU hose on it. When I need it I unwind it onto the drive way usually about 25 ft down and then back. When I'm done I lay it back on the ground in a straight line with maybe one bend or turn in it. Wind it up. THis way it has no twists in it - the hose lays out with no twists and has very little memory. The main reason for laying it out in a line is to get enough tension to roll up OK. When I say wind it up or spool it out I walk away from it or walk towards it as I reel it out or in, so as not to drag it.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by jseklund
              Buy it, you'll be happy.
              Great, all I needed was another Lee Valley order... Can't just put a lonely hose in a box and ship it. It'll need some other tools in there to keep it company.
              Erik

Comment

• sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by pelligrini
                Great, all I needed was another Lee Valley order... Can't just put a lonely hose in a box and ship it. It'll need some other tools in there to keep it company.
                You might want to check locally for one. I don't recall if mine was on sale or not at the time I bought it but I paid less for mine than what Lee Valley is selling them for.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by sweensdv
                  I have one of those Flexzilla hoses. They're nice but they also are not quite what I expected it would be. They claim to not have coil memory but mine does as I still need to keep twisting the end of the hose when I uncoil it. The thing I like the most about it though is that it's very light weight. You hardly realize you're dragging a hose around behind you.
                  I'm assuming from the physical description that the flexzilla is a polyurethane hose. Unlike most of the ones i've seen for sale this one is a 3/8" ID, the ones i bought were 1/4" ID. Larger is of course better for airflow.

The problem is that it has no memory but it doesn't like to have axial twist. When you take a straight hose and twist the end it will cause a coil loop to occur rather than just spreading the rotation over the length.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RAV2
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Massachusetts

I've got all kinds of hoses around the house.

This 100' one from Harbor Freight can be picked up for about $15 with a coupon. It is not bad but it is certainly isn't as flexible as a rubber band.

Comment

Working...