• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Benchtop, leg support & mallet holder

Yesterday was fairly productive. It's been a while since I had some good shop time, so I did a few things I've been putting off for a while.

I finally got around to making a holder for my brass mallet. I didn't want to drill a hole in the handle or add a strap or hook in the end to hang it. Just a piece of 2x syp scrap from my bench build a few years ago with a hole for the brass head and fastened to the door with a couple screws from the other side. Simple, but it's been needed for a while. It used to just sit on the bench, but it was always getting knocked over when I opened the doors above.

I made a leg stabilizer for the saw router extension and finally mounted my peachtree paddle switch I got last spring. It sure did help stabilize the saw. The leg still attaches at one point, but the saw top won't pivot around it anymore. The leg comes off just as easily as before so I can fold the saw. I'll probably whack myself in the nose with the protrusion sometime when moving the saw now.

I got a good workout flattening my benchtop (feeling a little sore this morning). I haven't flattened it since the initial build three years ago. My 100 year old Stanley No 7 and No 8 worked beautifully, especially after I sharpened them (been a while). Half a dozen Guinness’s later I got it pretty flat. Most of the rest of the top is well under .008 flat. I couldn’t find my thin feeler gauges to see how close I really got it. The back right corner is still a little low, and it is going to stay down there. There’s no way I’m going to take the whole 30x73 top down to it. That area doesn’t get much use anyways, mostly a clutter repository. A few spots will get hit by my smoothers and scrapers once I get them sharpened today. I still need to take down the top of the vices. I’m not looking forward to doing that red oak endgrain of the leg vice chop.

My oldest ***** thought she had a new bed. She sure didn't want to get up when I was closing the shop late last night.
    Attached Files
    Erik
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

Nice work, I especially like the shot of your job boss.
    Glad you got some shop time, I'm headed out there now...
    DP
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • The Great Land - Alaska
      • BT3100-1

Very nice! I have also found the Guinness and similar liquids makes work seem a little more pleasant. Need the fluids to replace all that sweat (and tears when I do something wrong).

Regards, Steve.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

I normally only allow cleaning and straightening up after even a single beer. Absolutely no powered cutting tools when consuming alcohol (or very hungover). 'cept for the lawnmower, it's powered so I can even carry a pilsner along during... I never hurt myself, but I got way too close twice. Once should have been enough.
        Erik

Comment

Working...