• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Festool OF 1010 if money is no object. Fantastic dust collection, very smooth operation. Unfortunately not 1/2", being German it is 8mm with a 1/4" collet.

Comment

• durango dude
      • Mar 2011
      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

beaux ti ---- lchien has put together a decent FAQ document, just PM him and ask for it. (that's the FAQ he's referring to).

Black Walnut debated routers a couple of months ago, and ended up with a Triton unit.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by BeauxTi
        Okay - I know I must be digging in the wrong hole - I went to the FAQ and all I could find were notes on how to use the Fourm. Is there another FAQ that is not listed in the site bar?
        carefully read the sig line at the bottom of this post.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

What does it have to do with routers, besides attaching them to the saw?
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
            What does it have to do with routers, besides attaching them to the saw?
            Believe it or not its a frequently asked question about BT3s, "what router should I use with my BT3?"
            and what router can i attach to the BT3

So at some point i summed up the wisdom i saw posted here on router selection.
            and placed it in the document called BT3 Frequently asked questions.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

I have the DW618 three base kit too, and really like it. It replaced my old craftsman 1/4 fixed base. It won't bolt directly to the accessory table, but there are some easy fixes for that.

As other have said, get a 1/2" shank. The multi base options are good too. I also use my motor in a jessem router lift that goes into my saw extension.
              Erik

Comment

• greenacres2
                • Dec 2011
                • La Porte, IN
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                Believe it or not its a frequently asked question about BT3s, "what router should I use with my BT3?"
                and what router can i attach to the BT3

So at some point i summed up the wisdom i saw posted here on router selection.
                and placed it in the document called BT3 Frequently asked questions.
                I've read through the whole thing twice (and some other parts more!!) and didn't remember the router section being there. Great document--if he added about 15 pages of pictures it would be a book that could be published and sold. One of the best free things i've ever gotten.

earl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by greenacres2
                  I've read through the whole thing twice (and some other parts more!!) and didn't remember the router section being there. Great document--if he added about 15 pages of pictures it would be a book that could be published and sold. One of the best free things i've ever gotten.

earl
                  Here's the whole FAQ section on Recommended routers (does not include the section on mounting different routers):

What router do you recommend?
                  Generally the Ryobi and Craftsman and Skil routers are considered beginner’s routers and do not have the features and quality of the more expensive routers below, but they are cheaper. Note the average number of routers owned by BT3Central survey respondents was 2.5 routers so it’s not uncommon to buy second and even third routers as you become more experienced.

The question often arises which router and these seem to be the top-quality forum favorites (in alphabetic order) with multiple interchangeable fixed and plunge bases, electronic variable speed and ½ and ¼”collets, and around 2 to 2.25 HP and priced around $180 to 250:
                  • Bosch 1617EVSPK 2.25 HP
                  • Dewalt DW618PKV
                  • Makita RF1101
                  • Porter Cable 893 and 895VSPK

The Ryobi RE1803BK with 3 bases seems to be a popular value-priced alternative router with features like those above for prices in the $90-120 range at Home Depot. Rod Kirby highly recommends the Triton router. The Porter Cable 690 series was the standard but even with its improvements, its basic design dates back 20 years or more, so, unless you get a great deal, get one of the newer models above.

The following are forum favorite top quality plunge-only models and may have higher power and weight (making them less suitable for hand-held work when desired) than the above mentioned:
                  • Hitachi M12V – 3 HP very big and powerful
                  • DeWalt DW621 and 625 (2 and 3 HP, respectively)
                  • Porter Cable 8529 2 HP
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• BeauxTi
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • Georgetown Texas
                    • Ryobi BT300

thanks tuns for the info - I ordered the Bosh Kit - Home Depot 179.00. Seemed like lowest price around. They don't carry it in the store - had to go On Line. After everything I read - it had the functions i think I need and between you all and the Internet - look like a good choice - now waiting for it to arrive. Hardest part - esp in the middle of a project. Guess I will will have to go back to fishing for a while ;-)
                    Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....

Comment

• BeauxTi
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2012
                      • Georgetown Texas
                      • Ryobi BT300

Router came in today - to late to do anything with it, but at least I am ready to contine the "Looking around the garage project". thanks for all the suggestions!
                      Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....

Comment

Working...