X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Tung oil finish for Birch plywood?

Anyone have any suggestions for a quick easy finish for Birch plywood? It's for the shop and I was thinking about a Tung oil finish as it's quick, easy, doesn't really darken that much and from what I've read seems to be pretty durable. I really would prefer a hand rubbed finish as I just don't like messing with brushes--Years of brightwork on a boat kind of burnt me out on those. I'm open.

Thanks
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I haven't found Tung oil quick, it takes a quite while to dry and needs multiple coats to build up a durable finish. I've found it darker then BLO or polys too.

For shop stuff and durability I like wipe on polys or maybe some watco danish oil then a quick coat of poly on top (after it dries well).
    Erik

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by sailor55330
      Anyone have any suggestions for a quick easy finish for Birch plywood? It's for the shop and I was thinking about a Tung oil finish as it's quick, easy, doesn't really darken that much and from what I've read seems to be pretty durable. I really would prefer a hand rubbed finish as I just don't like messing with brushes--Years of brightwork on a boat kind of burnt me out on those. I'm open.

Thanks
      When you say "Tung oil finish" that would be a stand alone finish made up with varnish resins, mineral spirits, and an oil (similar to Danish Oil Finish), which will likely not even have pure Tung oil as the oil ingredient. This will work as a wipe on finish.

To have a Tung oil finish and using pure Tung oil, or China wood oil, the label will say "pure Tung oil" or 100% pure Tung Oil. The mix ratios to solvent are printed in the directions.

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

For my shop cabinets made of birch plywood I use simple spray-on polyurethane from Home Depot. Inexpensive, quick and easy to apply, and I like the final look. It imparts a light amber tone to the wood. Pretty similar to the maple cabinets in my new house's kitchen actually.

mpc

Comment

• conwaygolfer
          Established Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Conway, SC.
          • BT3000

I use water borne lacquer (dries fast) on birch and oak plywood. Good results everytime. Either spray on or brush on. Works fine both ways. The product is called Resisthane from Hood Finishing Products. Saw it mentioned on here and gave it a try. Much better than the oil based stuff. Easy clean up with great results - whats not to like. Cost about $30.00 per gal.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

I have to agree with conway. A couple of coats of WB finish. You can spray it or brush it. Dries fast and cleans up with warm soapy water.

Edit. Anything you wipe on will take many,many coats to achieve what you brush on.
            Last edited by Richard in Smithville; 02-19-2012, 06:42 PM.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
              I have to agree with conway. A couple of coats of WB finish. You can spray it or brush it. Dries fast and cleans up with warm soapy water.

Edit. Anything you wipe on will take many,many coats to achieve what you brush on.
              He may not be able to spray. If he can, I would also recommend a WB poly.

Comment

• sailor55330
                Established Member
                • Jan 2010

Unfortunately, spraying is not an option as I only have a 6g pancake compressor, no gun and no experience. Although I've been around woodworking most of my life, only recently have I been trying to perform it.

Thanks again.

Comment

• jnesmith
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

Originally posted by sailor55330

Thanks
                  Which "tung oil finish" are you considering, specifically?
                  John

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I would never go with Tung oil. I used it for some speakers, and it had to be removed and a poly went over it. I'll never use tung oil again. Smells good, never dries.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • On the TARDIS
                      • BT 3100

Brushing on WB also works well. Like anything else, just follow directions.
                      From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...