• Show
Clear All
  • aggrex
    Established Member
    • Jan 2009
    • PA
    • Ridgid

Originally posted by JoeyGee
    I have been resisting posting on this, but your last line is really troubling to me. That is deceitful and only screws HF.
    And eventually puts the screws on everyone else

Comment

• badbert
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2011

Sorry if I offended anyone, not gonna give you a sob story, about no income, fighting for SSDI, housefire, hud home...Blahblah blah. Notice I said "I've owned tens of thousands of Dollars of Snap-on, Mac, and Matco tools." I know what I did was wrong. And there is no excuse for it. I spend money there when ever I can. Please don't judge me too harshly, i really try to be an honest man. But being sick in this economy has made me do a few things I am not proud of, to take care of my family.
      Last edited by badbert; 02-19-2012, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

As said before, HF has some gems and some of it isn't worth the coin. Take a close look at an item before buying. QC can vary a lot on each item. I picked up a few F clamps a while back and half of them had issues.

I love the transfer punches, o-ring sets, and some of the fastner sets like cotter pins, shims and especially the brass threaded inserts.
        Erik

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Very good posts I think. Let me add this if I may:

I confess that prior to this last year I'd only visited one HF store. Just looking at some of their stuff on a quick walk through (years ago), I wasn't too impressed. I've gotten their catalog and flyers on and off over the years and pretty much looked down my nose at it... for those prices, come'on... how good could any of this stuff be? REALLY!

Well, this past spring HF opened up a new store here in the greater Binghamton, NY area. I'm always interested in tools so I took a visit and I must say, I have changed my mind dramatically. They are now on my "list", as give me a "gift card" for HF!

I think best advice that I can give is to know your tools, look around and you hopefully know the difference between good and bad, especially when it comes to machining, materials, etc. Know your prices too.

Somethings are obviously not made as well or with the quality of finish that might compare to say a Ridgid or a Delta, Jet, etc. But you have to also ask yourself, "How good does it really have to be?"... especially for the work that you are going to do with it. Can an HF wrench set service your lawnmower as good as a "Snap-On"? Most likely!

I've bought a few things that were simply fantastic buys...like my 3 ft aluminum rule for $3. I couldn't buy the aluminimum strip for that price.

I have been gifted with the HF hardwood bench. Very nice and it serves it's purpose quite well in my little shop.

I have the 11-drawer rolling tool cabinet. Excellent price, cheaper than anything anywhere that I've seen. No ball-bearing drawers, but the weight of my tools doesn't require that. I'm very happy with it.

Funny thing though, (and I still think it was a fair purchase) is that some things will just be obvious...like how good could a $8 plane be? Well, I don't like the thin little plain blade on the HF #33 smooth plane and the douple screw adjustment is more in line with a spoke shave. The blade itself won't hold an edge very well, so I'm looking for another blade.

But the body/base of the plane was flat (less than 0.002"), the sides were square and the fit and finish of the hardwood handles were markedly above anything else that I could find locally (Stanley, Buck Bros, etc.). Now, if I could only find a blade for it... but for $8, it was worth the exercise.

In any case, there's a lot of stuff at HF which is very useful. Just look and compare. Casters, trolly's, lights, magnets, squares, meters, and even power and spray equipment. Some things you'll pass on I'm sure. Others will be a pleasant surprise as you won't find them anywhere else locally.

Returns are never questioned, and service at my HF sure beats the service at either of my Lowes, Home Depot, or Sears stores. But, let me say that so far I have only had to return two items and in both cases they were exchanges. I'm keeping that #33 with hopes of a cure for the blade!

CWS
          Last edited by cwsmith; 02-19-2012, 12:35 PM.
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• RAFlorida
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2008
            • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
            • Ryobi BT3000

Three years ago (09), I bought

the wire welder,

and the auto-darkening helmet,

and have used these a lot. Never a problem with them at all. The duty-cycle could be better, but for the price and at home work; I am happy with it.
            Like others have posted, know your tools.

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by pelligrini
              As said before, HF has some gems and some of it isn't worth the coin. Take a close look at an item before buying. QC can vary a lot on each item. I picked up a few F clamps a while back and half of them had issues.

I love the transfer punches, o-ring sets, and some of the fastner sets like cotter pins, shims and especially the brass threaded inserts.
              I've eyed those the last few times I've gone in. Better than elsewhere?
              I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I use a couple of staplers from HF and gave my son one of their brad nailers. I like my PC and Bostitch nailers more - they work with less messing with them - but they also cost roughly 5 times as much. Utility knife blades and flux brushes work great - why pay more? I also keep some of their 5 minute epoxy around. Works well. I put their LED trailer lights on my boat trailer. Now I don't have to mess with them each spring. I keep a tool roll with their hand tools in my BMW convertible. I like to have a set of tools in each vehicle just-in-case. They are obviously not top-of-the-line tools but I think they are better than Sears Craftsman these days. The plastic body ratchets are especially worthwhile. I use their six point sockets, I would be a little leary of their 12 point as I would any inexpensive brand.

Jim

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                  I've eyed those the last few times I've gone in. Better than elsewhere?
                  I can't tell a difference between them or any others I have purchased, other than the price.
                  Lee valley sells 10 1/4x20 inserts for $6.90
                  HF has the 36 pc assortment (including 10 1/4x20) for $11.99
                  The orange borg has them for a few dollars for a pair.
                  Erik

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I've written about my Harbor Freight experiences in multiple places but here goes nothing...

#1. 2 HP Dust collector is hands down the best bang for the buck. Put a 1 micron bag on it and it is as good as any DC for twice its price (new bag included). The impeller is a little smallish, but not terrible. So far 2+ years of fairly abusive service later and I can't complain.

#2. 14" band saw. Yes I put some time and money into Hot Rodding it. But I would have done the same with a Delta. Excellent saw for being a basic model. With a little massaging it can be every bit as nice as the G0555...

#3. 34706 12x36 lathe. Top quality lathe for bottom of the barrel price. Fit and finish is every bit as nice as the Jet it clones with ONE minor exception, the tool rest... It's not great, but then again, neither is the Jet... Upgraded tool rests are cheap and readily available from Penn State Industries. The OE is serviceable, I just like a round bar tool rest...

#4. 12" Sliding compound miter saw. The OEM blade stinks, but most OEM blades stink. Throw a decent blade at it, and set the stops up for accurate 45 and 90 degree cuts and it all falls in line... Dust collection is miserable, but it's a miter saw, what do you expect?

#5. F style bar clamps. Every bit as good as the Jorgensens I own. If you want to pay extra money, send it to me and I will paint some HF clamp heads orange for you...

#6. Hole Saws. They are honestly awful, but for making one or two BIG holes for not a lot of money, they are money well spent...

#7. Moisture meter. It does what I want it to and didn't cost me a fortune.

#8. Metal / stud sensor. Basic tool that does what I paid for it to do... Accurate enough to keep me from ramming carbide into metal...

#9. 2 HP 8 Gallon air compressor. Several members here tried talking me out of it, but so far it has been a real winner. A friend has a Campbell Hausfield model the same size with lower CFM and PSI specs, that is way louder. He has replaced 2 since I have owned my one, and the one is still chugging along nicely thank you very much...

#10. Nailers. I group these together. I have the 28 deg framing nailer, 16 ga finish nailer, 23 ga pinner, as well as the combination finish nailer / stapler. The combo nailer / stapler is useless as a finish nailer, but pretty nice for a stapler... Otherwise, they have been abuse resistant work horses... THe finish nailer had to be retured though, the first one was missing the wrist pin in the piston. A BIG quality control gaffe, but since then it has been priceless through a mess of projects...

#11. I had to edit my post as I kind of forgot about this one. But I got a HF bench top mortiser NIB as a swap for a Delta Shopmaster 10" non slide miter saw I got as a curb / trash find in my neighborhood. The thing was filthy, and needed a new blade. I cleaned it up as best I could, and threw a Diablo 80T blade that I had resharpened as wasn't doing anything with. So I guess for the cost of resharpening another friends old blade, I got a mortiser. It's not super feature rich, but it does what mortiser is supposed to do and does it amazingly well...

I am by no means rich, okay maybe by no means in American terms rich, and I honestly would have never been able to outfit my shop anywhere near as completely as I have without Harbor Freight. Say what you will about them, the tools have for the most part done everything I have expected them to. I just learned early on to not bother with the bits, blades, or abrasives... And yes the stores are sort of like a flea market.... But that's okay. I'm not paying extra for a pretty store. I want tools that work well, will last a long time, and I can afford!
                    Last edited by dbhost; 02-19-2012, 05:25 PM.
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• durango dude
                      • Mar 2011
                      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I received a self-centering HF dowel jig for Christmas

a) it didn't center
                      b) it was SOAKED (and I mean SOAKED) in oil - which is problematic for wood working!

To their credit, HF sent me a replacement jig. It DID center, but it was also soaked with oil. I cleaned it up, and now it serves me reasonably well.

I don't think I'd buy another dowel jig from them. However, they sell plenty of things that I would buy.

Comment

• Eagan
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2006
                        • bloomington, IN
                        • rigid r4512

I've read good things about their jointer being acceptable. Thought I had read it here but didn't see it mentioned in this conversation. Wish I could tell you my experiences but the wife has a strangle hold on the check book

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by dbhost
                          #11. I had to edit my post as I kind of forgot about this one. But I got a HF bench top mortiser NIB as a swap for a Delta Shopmaster 10" non slide miter saw I got as a curb / trash find in my neighborhood. The thing was filthy, and needed a new blade. I cleaned it up as best I could, and threw a Diablo 80T blade that I had resharpened as wasn't doing anything with. So I guess for the cost of resharpening another friends old blade, I got a mortiser. It's not super feature rich, but it does what mortiser is supposed to do and does it amazingly well...
                          I was under the impression the fence sucked. Is this not the case?

I'm comparing it to the Steel City-made Woodriver and the Craftsman, which are both under $300.
                          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• BigguyZ
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2006
                            • Minneapolis, MN
                            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

HF is all about knowing what NOT to buy. Like many have said, don't buy your "go to" power tools there. However, hand tools are good for 90% of uses and are a good deal.

Here are my favorites:
                            -Nitril gloves, cheap, good quality. Excellent for staining work, or gluing. I use them when gluing tubes for pens. Keeps the super glue away from my hands.
                            -Deadblow Hammers. You can't screw up a deadblow, and you can buy them for $7 or so, versus $20-$30 in a box store.
                            -Other hammers. Again, if you're a roofer or someone swinging a hammer 10 hours a day, I wouldn't buy these. But for around the house work, they're cheap.
                            -Wood Turning Chisels- HSS. They had a dark brown handled set that was a GREAT starter set, and I'm still using several of them as my "go to" turning chisels.
                            -Spring loaded punch.
                            -Center punch set.
                            -115 Drill Bit Set- Great for pens, just measure the tubes w/ calipers and find the closest bit. No need to follow what the kits say- especially since some of them don't give the best option as it is. I have the std set, and sharpen them often.
                            -Diamond honing stones.
                            -F clamps.
                            -C Clamps.
                            -Zip Ties- best deal ever, and there's so many uses for them.
                            -Bungee cords/ ties.
                            -Ratchet Ties- also work as band clamps.
                            -HF Paint Pot- great for pressure/ vacuum work. I specifically use it to stabalize wood for pen blanks.
                            -HF Vaccum block. It's just an Aluminum block that uses physics to create a vacuum through air movement.
                            -Trailer. Had one for years and it survived a LOT of abuse. Eventually it was either towed or stolen from the front of my brother's house.
                            -Grinder. I started off with the cheap one they have. When I got the slow-speed one from Woodcraft, I changed it to a buffer instead.
                            -Garage Air kit- I forget the name, but it's a rip-off of another brand's system. Uses platic hose and quick connect fittings to pipe pressure air around the shop.
                            -Compressor- here's one of the few power tools I DO reccomend from them.
                            -Multi-tool. For $20, it's a great little tool. I eventually got the Rockwell Sonicrafter, but my little HF unit did it's job for a long time before that.
                            -Digital Calipers. They good a good job.
                            -Dial Gauge, and dial Gauge base. They work well for shop setup.
                            -Air hoses- they have them pretty cheap.
                            -Air compressor filters or moister reducers.
                            -Pipe Clamps.
                            -Parellel Clamps- I don't know if they carry them anymore, but when you can find them they're generally being clearanced and are a great deal.
                            -HVLP unit- I haven't used this specific one, but I've used the Wagner model and I'm told it's very similar.
                            -Quick release WWers bench vise. I think it works very well.
                            -Rasps/ files. They work well.
                            -Router bits. OK- for really basic work, I did buy the small 1/4" set. They're done a lot of work for me, and are fine for what they are.

Things I would NOT buy from HF.
                            -Routers.
                            -Cordless tools.
                            -Ratcheting Socket wrenches (they break too easily).
                            -Sandpaper. It's really, really bad stuff.
                            -Air compressor quick connects. They leak, and don't fit other connects.
                            -Brass fittings. They're crap, and leak a lot.
                            -Saw blades. Of any kind. Table, jigsaw, circular saw. I wouldn't do it. Their hacksaw blades are garbage.
                            -Chisels. Only if you need a reallyu cheap set for doing construction work.

Comment

• AlanWS
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Shorewood, WI.

One other thing to add is that prices at HF fluctuate wildly. Many items vary in price by a factor of 2, but some vary more. Online price, store price, catalog price, and coupon price can all be different, and it's not certain which will be lowest. There are frequently 20% off coupons (on line and in most woodworking magazines) as well. At the bottom of the price swing an item can be an excellent deal, but at the top it can be overpriced.
                              Alan

Comment

• Eagan
                                Established Member
                                • Feb 2006
                                • bloomington, IN
                                • rigid r4512

Our copy of Reader's Digest had a 20% off coupon, good till June. Fine example of a woodworking magazine!

Comment

Working...