Clear All
  • Eagan
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • bloomington, IN
    • rigid r4512

Menards: 11% Rebate on Everything

And this includes sale items.

And if you've bought anything there is the last 14 days, you can probably still get the rebate. They gave it to me on the Hitachi jigsaw.

Not quite as nice as a 50 buck bandsaw but you are a lot more likely to get it
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Is this like their regular rebates--not cash but merchandise credit for the store? No big deal, there is plenty there to use it on, just making sure.
    Joe

Comment

• Eagan
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • bloomington, IN
      • rigid r4512

Probably in store credit

That way they get to keep the money in their system.

Comment

• Kristofor
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

One nice thing about the merch credit vs cash rebate is that it discounts the value of your future purchase for sales tax purposes. The downside of course is that you're locked into the store you can use it at.

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by Kristofor
          One nice thing about the merch credit vs cash rebate is that it discounts the value of your future purchase for sales tax purposes.
          Not really because you have already paid the sales tax on the amount of the rebate when you made the first purchase to get the rebate in the first place. They advertise a product for a regular price of $50 but you can buy it for $40 "after rebate". When you buy that product you actually paid $50 at the time of purchase and were charged tax on that $50 not the so called sale price of $40. To charge you tax when you redeem the rebate coupon would be the same as taxing you twice on that same $10.

I like Menards and shop there quite regularily but I'm not a fan of their % rebate sales. I see those sales as nothing more than a chance for them to use our money for 6 weeks without paying us any interest. I say that because I have seen many times where they will offer the same products on a regular sale for prices that are less than what the % off price will be "after rebate". Not such a big deal when buying small items but on expensive items the Tax Man makes out much better on the Menards % sales than he does on their normal type sales.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by sweensdv
            Not really because you have already paid the sales tax on the amount of the rebate when you made the first purchase to get the rebate in the first place. They advertise a product for a regular price of $50 but you can buy it for $40 "after rebate". When you buy that product you actually paid $50 at the time of purchase and were charged tax on that $50 not the so called sale price of $40. To charge you tax when you redeem the rebate coupon would be the same as taxing you twice on that same $10.

I think you're both saying the same thing.

a $10 merch credit saves you tax on the next $10 purchase.
            A $10 cash rebate you have to pay tax on the next $10 purchase.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              I think you're both saying the same thing.
              After going back and very slowly rereading Kristofor's response, I agree, we were basically saying the same thing. I blame stuff like that on Evelyn Wood.

Comment

• sailor55330
                Established Member
                • Jan 2010

Even with an 11% rebate, I still try to avoid Menards. Nearly everything I've bought there has broken or been of lower quality. The exception of course is nationally branded items such as Titebond. I have bought woodscrews that were so inferior, I twisted them off by hand, which should never happen with a 2" #8 woodscrew going into pine. I've bought casters that snapped as soon as I put any weight on them. I bought a Mastercraft TS blade once to see how it was--even new out of the box, it didn't cut as well as the old B&D I had on the saw at the time (yes, I know, but sometimes budgets dictate). I used think that their lumber was better than some of the other big boxes, but after buying some 3/4" birch plywood recently and seeing the number of voids after making the first cut, I'm really begining to rethink that.

Comment

• Eagan
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • bloomington, IN
                  • rigid r4512

Originally posted by sailor55330
                  Even with an 11% rebate, I still try to avoid Menards. Nearly everything I've bought there has broken or been of lower quality. The exception of course is nationally branded items such as Titebond. I have bought woodscrews that were so inferior, I twisted them off by hand, which should never happen with a 2" #8 woodscrew going into pine. I've bought casters that snapped as soon as I put any weight on them. I bought a Mastercraft TS blade once to see how it was--even new out of the box, it didn't cut as well as the old B&D I had on the saw at the time (yes, I know, but sometimes budgets dictate). I used think that their lumber was better than some of the other big boxes, but after buying some 3/4" birch plywood recently and seeing the number of voids after making the first cut, I'm really begining to rethink that.
                  I would never advocate buying anything - except maybe beer - without checking to make sure it did what I wanted/needed well, and also at the least possible price. F'r instance, I would not buy a "Tool Ship" anything. But if I needed a national type brand, I was sure it was the quality I expected, and Menards had it on sale... I don't mind getting an extra 11% off.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I just bought a ton of plumbing stuff from Menards this weekend with the 11% rebate. As with everything, it's all about what you're looking to do. If you shop at Menards looking for fine WWing tools and hardware, you're a fool. If you go to Menards to buy anything else you buy at places, it's fine. I agree that tool shop tools are terrible, but that's so little a part of their business, I don't see not going for that reason alone.

I bought all of the plumbing stuff for my brother's house. Since we're re-doing everything, it was a big order. $900+, so my brother will be getting another $100 in Menards credit. Sure, it's store credit only, but we get a lot from there.

And their Tool Shop hand tools aren't that bad either. I bought a 8" lineman's pliers for $2, and a prybar for the same. They also had a hammer with a $3 rebate. So, with the individual rebate and the 11% off it's net about $1. Even the cheap hammers work just fine, and it's a extra one for around the house.

I've also found great deals on other tools. Before I found about CPO, I bought several Bosch tools from there. I also like the Irwin drill/ driver bits they have versus the brand Lowes or HD carries. They have a good range of Stanely tool carriers and parts sorters. Also, they have the ToughBuilt tool bags and tool belts. I just bought their contractor's toolbelt set for $50. I'm impressed with the quality. They also have a better selection of PEX plubming fittings.

I'd never buy paint from them, unless it's Zinser primer. But again, like any store, you have to know what products you get from them. Tool Shop and Paint are pretty much it. But if you need just about anything else, you gotta love Menards.

Comment

Working...