What brand and type of laser printer.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unknown poster
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006

Before you buy look at the price of toner and the expected number of pages per cartridge. This varies widely by model.

I bought an HP all in one laser and I like it a lot, but toner costs nearly as much as the printer did. I bought a bottle of toner from ebay, disassembled the cartridge, and refilled it. $12 for toner beats $80 for a new part, but who knows how long the refilled cartridge will last before the plastic breaks or the parts wear out.

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

We have a Canon AIO that's decent enough, although the ink isn't that cheap (perhaps compared to others, yes). The only strong recommendation I can make is to stay away from Lexmark.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• sscherin
        • Dec 2003
        • Kennewick, WA, USA.

I have an Oki C5200N color laser I bought in 2005

Having color is great..
        One nice feature of the Oki is the toner is separate form the imaging drum..
        Down side is Oki toner can be hard to find but my local Stables stocks it.
        Black toner is about $35-40 I"m due for my 2nd replacement cartridge.
        The color toners are $60-80 but I've only bought 1 set of color in the 7 years I've owned it and then I used a aftermarket set that cost $120 for all 3 colors.
        The imaging drums are the costly bit.. My black drum is almost due for replacement and it's $90.. The colors still have 40% life left in em.. Drums are good for 15,000 pages, toner about 5,000 so

Right now I'm looking at a black drum, black toner and magenta toner.. about $200 if I go with Oki parts..

The new model is the OKI C330DN and sells for $300-$400 depending on where ya get it.
        I'm debating if I should replace the black drum and toners or just get the new one.

They also have a C110 model for $200 that had good reviews if you don't do a ton of printing.

My dad still has his HP 4P B&W laser he bought in the late 80's.. It's still going
        William's Law--
        There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
        cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Another thing I thought I would mention is that I use both a B&W laser and an inkjet. Typical documents, receipts and pdf's I print out on the laser. I only use the inkjet when I want color. This has greatly reduced my printing costs.
          Finding good printers that will accept aftermarket inks and toners is also a plus. Often aftermarket refills are less than a 3rd of the cost of brand name replacements.
          My laser is a Samsung ML-2510 and my inkjet is a Dell V313W AIO. Replacements for both are the cheapest I have found and the amazing thing is they look just like the original ink and toners, so quality is still there.

These companies make the money of refills, not the printers. Often I see where I can buy a brand new printer for the price of a full brand name refill. Good option for those that do not like to dust.
          Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Stytooner

These companies make the money of refills, not the printers. Often I see where I can buy a brand new printer for the price of a full brand name refill. Good option for those that do not like to dust.
            Note the current trend is to provide toner carts, ink carts etc. that are only partially filled, with the new printer. That means (for my last brother printer) I had to buy new toner cartridge after 1000 prints whereas I'm supposed to get 4000 pages per full cartridge.

I think the other manufacturers are equally guilty these days.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sparkeyjames
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Redford MI.
              • Craftsman 21829

I have a also have a Brother black only laser printer. I have it networked so all my computers can print to it. I have had it since 2004 or so. Replaced the original (3500 sheet) toner cartridge in it around a year ago for $60 bucks or so and it's good for 6500 sheets.
              Mine does postscript as well. Any Linux user should get a postscript capable printer as a winprinter just won't cut it.

Comment

• thrytis
                • May 2004
                • Concord, NC, USA.
                • Delta Unisaw

If you are looking at a multi-function device, HPs are well supported by Linux. I don't think i have ever had to go to a windows machine to do something with my HP printer/scanner/copier because Linux didn't support that operation. None of the other brands had nearly as good support as HP when i bought it several years ago.
                Eric

Comment

• Slik Geek
                  • Dec 2006
                  • Lake County, Illinois
                  • Ryobi BT-3000

Ditto on Brother Laser Printers

I've been very happy with my Brother 2170W (monochrome) laser printer. I agree that the old HP printers were incredibly reliable and durable. I was a die hard HP printer advocate.

My more recent experience with HP printers was not so favorable. Far too expensive to operate. When the drum "timed out" on the HP color laser that I had, instead of letting me continue printing with potentially reduced quality, it refused to print until serviced. That's when HP lost me as a loyal customer.

For monochrome laser printing, the Brother 2170W has been inexpensive to own, perfectly reliable and consistently good quality printing.

Comment

Working...