What brand and type of laser printer.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

What brand and type of laser printer.....

Do you have or use. Mine died tonight when I was printing out tax forms. PO'd me of course, but I did buy it somewhere between 2001 and 2003.

Wondering if I should be sticking with black or is there some reason to switch to color at this point. (don't print any photo's, pre question)

It has been a bad week so far.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

The HP Laser 1200 on my desk at the office has been there for close to 10 years, if not longer, never a problem. We've got a 7 year old HP color ink jet printer/copier/scanner/fax at home--had an issued when we first got it, they sent a replacement, and it's a workhorse ever since. When we replace it, we'll probably do another similar machine but wireless so we don't have to switch cords between computers. Could have done it before Christmas for $60 or so, now still around $100 at Tiger Direct if i recall correctly. Nice to be able to copy at home.

Your mileage may vary.

earl

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
      Do you have or use.
      Staples periodically runs the HP color lasers for FAR. Might not help much if you need it "now", but if you can wait, free is hard to beat :-) Certainly much cheaper than buying toner cartridges.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• alpha
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Owensboro, KY, USA.

For a laser printer, I prefer Brother because they are reasonably priced and fairly easy to refill the toner. I prefer HP for an ink printer. I actually have both types of printers with the laser being my default printer. I use it probably 95% of the time. So really it depends on how you intend to use it. Stick with the laser if all you need is black printing. It will be faster and cheaper.

Bob

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

I have the older version of this one from Samsung. the 2510.
          Trouble free.

Toner isn't bad either.

Mine has no trouble with off brand toner refills.
          Lee

Comment

• tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008

Canon, cheapest ink and widely available

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Brother 2170-W. Have seen this at Staples/OfficeDepot at $99, even $79 AR. I bought mine on CL for $49 2 years ago, and is one of my best buys. Can't believe I have put down so much money on inkjets in the past. Have the Canon mp530 now, but it drinks ink, and has even stopped printing (needs some TLC or DIY troubleshooting from me when I've time).

If you are looking for one, and have - ever - the need for color printing, you should look for color lasers. Have seen some dirt cheap ones that might fit your needs. Much better than any inkjet.

But if not, can recommend Brother B/W Lasers whole-heartedly.
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• sailor55330
                Established Member
                • Jan 2010

I have an HP 2600n. About 5 years old. Big, average speed, but has been a tank. Toner isn't cheap at about $85/ cartridge, but the company pays for those and I only use about 1 a year. Only problem has been getting the newer laptop to accept it's drivers. For some reason, it won't print wirelessly.

HP inkjet---I've never had anything but trouble.

Comment

• nickg
                  Established Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Marietta, Georgia
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Laser Printers

My $ .02 - I've had a couple (HP, Brother) but I think I like the inexpensive Samsung ML 2510 that I have now, the best. I think I paid about $100 for it. It's doesn't take up much space, and makes crisp B&W documents - no shadows or smudged spots. It prints envelopes with no drama.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Don't look at me, my Laser printer is an HP LaserJet 5N. Not exactly a current century model... It just won't die...

A caveat though, I have an HP PSC 1315V as well, which plays okay with RHEL 6, but Windows 7 64 bit has been a nightmare with it... I am seriously considering tossing it and getting one with an ADF and WiFi... Seriously considering a color laser model and tossing the 5N out the door as well...
                    Last edited by dbhost; 01-25-2012, 09:41 AM.
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                      Don't look at me, my Laser printer is an HP LaserJet 5N. Not exactly a current century model... It just won't die...
                      I know what you mean. I have an old HP4 that just won't die. It's probably 15 years old. It isn't fast or pretty, but it works.
                      Bill

Comment

• jackellis
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

We have all-in-ones (print, fax, scan). I try to avoid printing because I can't stand keeping track of paper and I prefer sending scanned stuff via e-mail to faxing things.

Our HP 7200 prints and scans fine, but the scanner feeder failed after about a year. we just bought an HP 8600 and so far, it's working well. Very easy to set up and use. It was $149 on sale at BestBuy right before Christmas.

We also have a Lexmark 1625 black-and-white laser, mostly for envelopes. It's given us good service.

After reading tons of reviews before buying the 8600, my take on inexpensive consumer-grade printers is that most of them are pretty good. All of the manufacturers ship bad units - some more than others. We've owned two lasers and four inkjets in the last 25 years (still have four of the six), and we get enough utility out of them that having to replace one prematurely isn't a huge deal.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have had real good luck with Brother Laser printers. inexpensive, works well, cheap supplies. Gave my first one to my mom and got a DCP7040 (Print, scan, copy) last year.

I looked at color laser - it was only $150 but came with a limited toner cartridge, replacing all the toners would have cost another $160.

I had a HP Laserjet II for many years... worked great, got it used with 150,000 pages on the odometer. Used it for probably 15 years before i got my first brother to replace it. I really replaced it mostly because it didn't have a very green sleep mode. I suspect it used a lot of power to keep on like I did.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-25-2012, 06:43 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• smckinney
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jul 2010
                            • Craftsman 21829

Brother laser printers

At work, if someone needs a laser printer at their desk, we give them a Brother laser printer.
                            They perform well and are reasonably priced.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by os1kne
                              I know what you mean. I have an old HP4 that just won't die. It's probably 15 years old. It isn't fast or pretty, but it works.

My thoughts exactly...find an old HPLJ4. Things are built to last forever and the toner lasts a long time. They don't build things like they used to...

That being said, I also have a Samsung 25xx (don't remember exaclty which one). It does well and toner is reasonable. I try my best not to print anything, though.
                              Joe

Comment

Working...