• Show
Clear All
  • Poobah
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2010
    • SoCal
    • BT3100

Drum Sander

Long story short, but the guys at Stockroom supply lost out on a sale because they didn't answer the phone and didn't return my message.

A couple months later (I'm not exactly the fastest woodworker) here is my very own Flatmaster style drum sander.

It's pretty standard, 4-1/4 MDF discs sanded down to who know what (probably still above 4 inch diameter). All 3/4 MDF panels except for the bottom which was added because the motor is *really* heavy and about 3/16 inches off the ground. I added a support for the motor and now the thing won't tip over anymore.

The motor needed for this kind of thing is a 1/2 hp motor. In my very best Tim Allen interpretation, I bought a 1 hp motor from Grizzly since it was only $10 more.

I made the top out of 5/8 and 3/4 MDF sandwiched together.

This is a small down and dirty prototype build for me. The end goal is a 24 inch sander integrated into my mobile saw base.

I've had a few instances of sandpaper being ejected out the top at high velocity, but it sure sands well and makes things absolutely flat!

--------------
  • woodinville guy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Cedar Park, TX

that looks awesome! I'd love to get the plans to make my own.
    - Dave

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

very nicely engineered. how's the dust collection?
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Dal300
        Banned
        • Aug 2011
        • East Central Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Cool machine!

Comment

• Poobah
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2010
          • SoCal
          • BT3100

Thanks guys.

The dust collection is awesome when you

(a) turn on the dust collector

(b) attach the hose

I built up around the top to mostly seal off the chamber inside. There still is a little gap on one side of one of the pillow block bearings, but it seems to be OK.

The plans are loosely following those available at the stockroom supply website. There is a bit of detail missing in the plan, but nothing an extra 20 router passes and gluing on some thin stock in strategic places can't fix ...

I made the table opening 2 inches wide, but have since widened it to 2-1/2 I think. I got the 2 inch figure from someone who used a 2 inch drum, but it seemed like it would be OK since I chamfered underneath.

Comment

Working...