• Show
Clear All
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by sweensdv
    However, as long as they had functioning vocal cords and the ability to be heard if they had just hollered, why call 911?
    From local reports, it appears that no one was around, or at least no one who was listening. In the interview, they said they called 911 after yelling for help for 15 minutes after they turned out the lights.

It appears the attraction allowed them to enter the maze less than an hour before closing and dark, which is a rule stated on their website. In addition, they alledgedly did not keep an accurate count of people entering the maze so they could be certain everyone was out before shutting down. The farm is under investigation and appears likely to be cited.

There are photos of the maze on their website, which may help people understand what we are talking about. It's essentially a path with 9' high walls on either side. You can't see over or through, and traditional maze navigation methods are intentionally thwarted - there is no algorithm that will guarantee success, it's mostly luck.
    Last edited by woodturner; 10-15-2011, 08:44 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
      They just got cornfused.

Ouch!!

Not much I can add to this discussion. I would question the parent's judgement in taking a three week old baby along, but I'm not all that familiar with the situation. Perhaps they had an inflated idea of their maze-solving ability. Maybe they were just clueless. I've never been in a corn maze (maize maze?) so I dunno. Could be they are REALLY dumb.

Calling 911 is pretty much ingrained nowadays, I think. In one of my classes I use a short play written in 1967 that ends with one character dialing the operator and asking for the police. EVERY class somebody says, "Why didn't he just call 911?" and I have to explain 911 didn't exist then. Reading the comments on here, it seems like they tried yelling first, then called when no one responded. I can just imagine how panicked they might get in the maize maze with a fussy baby, no one responding, it's dark, and getting cold, especially if this is a family that doesn't camp or do much activity off the beaten path.

I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but you get the point.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

Calling the family names is senseless.

Bad judgement yes or possibly. They were for some intertainment and could not get help at the maze.

Comment

Working...