• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Pergola Complete

A couple of weeks ago I posted here about getting the main pergola structure up. Since then I've added stone to the base of the columns, an upper tier of 1x4 crossmembers, some trim molding, and mounted the finial brackets. Other than eventually adding some natural stain, I'm done. Maybe I'll build some furniture for it next year!

Here's the finished pergola:

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Now that's nice... Bet your wife is happy with that one...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Scott, I love it! The side supports are really nice!!! They would really pop if they were a solid color to show the detail of your work. Have you considered a solid stain? How did you attach the pavers that you stacked around the base? Construction adhesive, thinset? Really nice work, maybe some adirondack chairs next ;-)
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks guys. Wifey is definitely a happy camper...I dedicated myself to the "honey-do" list last winter, and have been checking things off pretty regularly this year.

I think I probably will go with a solid stain that has a natural color. The stones are held to the post using construction adhesive. If I can get a few days to get my shop back in shape, I might have a chance to knock out some furniture this fall. I want Adirondack chairs, she wants a love seat and chair set...wonder who wins that one? Of couse, she won't know I'm building Adirondack chairs until they're almost done.....
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Nice! I think she will have to concede the chairs since the patio was done in good time. Very inspirational Scott
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

It looks great Scott. Nice work. Bet you're glad it's done. LOML is on my case to do something over our new patio.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

The stone 'wrap' on thee columns is a unique look. Is water getting between the stone and wood going to cause a problem down the road?

I realize you don't battle the constant sun and heat we have, although this year seems to be an exception, but wouldn't it give better shade with more boards on the top tier?
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Pappy
                The stone 'wrap' on thee columns is a unique look. Is water getting between the stone and wood going to cause a problem down the road?

I realize you don't battle the constant sun and heat we have, although this year seems to be an exception, but wouldn't it give better shade with more boards on the top tier?
                Time will tell about any water problems...definitely possible, and if so, I'll have to reset them with mortar or mastic or some cement based adhesive.

The pergola faces north, so the primary afternoon/evening sun comes from the left as you face north, so I'm not sure that the top tier is doing much for usable shade...it was mainly cosmetic but they should help support vines of some sort!

Thanks for the comments gang. Cabinetman, a pergola isn't a bad project...you can get the bulk of it up in a day, so whenever you can make mama happy with a day's worth of effort, I say go for it! (you bet I'm glad it's done!)

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by Knottscott
                  Time will tell about any water problems...definitely possible, and if so, I'll have to reset them with mortar or mastic or some cement based adhesive.
                  Pappy makes a good point. Problems can occur if the wood can't dry out. It looks like they could be sealed in with mortar, and the trim made water tight. The wood can still draw moisture (vapor) from above. But, time will tell.

Originally posted by Knottscott
                  Cabinetman, a pergola isn't a bad project...you can get the bulk of it up in a day, so whenever you can make mama happy with a day's worth of effort, I say go for it! (you bet I'm glad it's done!)
                  Well, mama is suggesting a water resistant cover, that may unroll out to the end, for a covered look when she wants. Like one of those "Sunbrella" deals on TV ads. I could probably just buy the material and rig something up.

Comment

• Turaj
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                    • BT3000 (1998)

Wow!!! That whole project is very impressive!!! A nice place to sit down and have a cold beer (or 2)!
                    Turaj (in Toronto)
                    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • IL, USA.
                      • DELTA 36-675

Nicely done, Scott!

A couple of Adirondack chairs would go nicely with the new pergola.
                      Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• John Hunter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                        • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                        John Hunter

Comment

Working...