• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Door Hinge & Lockset Jigs

Lee Valley is closing out a Door Installation Tools Combo. It's mail order only.
    They say it went for $46.94 retail, lee valley price $17.50. I haven't used them, but I wish I would have had a set when I hung my last doors.

Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.
    Erik
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

just for comparison, Amazon sells the two components of this package deal the Porter cable template, pins and router bit for $19.49 and the Irwin bimetal hole saws and lockset jig for (plus a router bit and template) $8.95 - total around $29. A bit mroe than the clearance price at LV but a lot less than the quoted retail price.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• skamath
      Established Member
      • Sep 2006
      • san diego, ca
      • BT3100, 22124

i was considering getting this item, then i realized that the reviews for both products are not very good.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I haven't used that particular set, but the price is pretty good if it's any good. I have used a multi template for hinges that sets a jig for all the hinges at once to match both the door and jamb. That positions the mortises exactly. I'm still comfortable with measuring off and chiseling, as that's how I learned to install doors.

Comment

• mpauly
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006
          • NJ

I have the lockset jig and it works OK for the price. The hole saws are decent enough and probably worth the price alone. The jig itself is made of plastic and the piece that guides the large hole saw is pretty thin. Couple a large hole saw with a torquey drill and the slightest movement or jerk to the side will crack the plastic (this happened to me on the 4th or 5th door I drilled out, so I epoxied it back together and have used it on 4 or 5 more doors). The plastic for the smaller hole is pretty robust and the jig is simple and easy to setup for multiple thicknesses of doors and lockset offsets.

Michael

Comment

• skamath
            Established Member
            • Sep 2006
            • san diego, ca
            • BT3100, 22124

would tightening a hose clamp around the larger hole prevent a breakage? Not sure if it will be an obstruction.

Comment

Working...