• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

My shop feels like a space capsule

My ceilings are now silver foil covered bubble wrap. Feels like a some sort of space capsule from the movies in there.

I picked up a few rolls of reflectix yesterday. It seemed to be a decent option for adding some insulation to my shop/shed. I should have researched insulation methods before purchasing though. I probably didn't install it in the best way, but some of the better configurations created problems. I installed it up against my plywood roof sheathing. There's maybe a 1/4" gap.

I just couldn't give up some of my storage space. I use a lot of the stud space on my upper shelves. Not using it would push the boxes over my clamp and straightedge brackets.
    Erik
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

You should be okay. It won't vent very well that close, but I am guessing you knew that already... Do you have a ridge vent on your shed / shop?

You are going to want to have some ventilation pulling the heated air in there out. Or it WILL get into your shop... Yes it is better than nothing. And yeah, I totally understand not wanting to give up any storage space... Just make sure that you aren't making it a slower to heat up oven is all...

So uh... Where's the pics?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

No ridge vent. Would like one though, but more then I want to mess with right now. I have a turbine vent in the roof and it can also be powered. I placed a 9" high CFM from one of my rackmount server cabinets right below it. It's on a rheostat, full power gets the heat out quickly and low power helps move out the heat when I have the AC on without blowing out too much cold air and taking in too much outside air. I'll probably redo the insulation with a better airspace and proper ventilation someday.

I thought about batt r13 batts and then some sort of sheathing. Installing would have been a big pain, especially the sheathing. I would have to move the lights, clamp racks, stuff on shelves, etc. Then I would have had to figure out a ventilation solution. Rigid foam was considered too, but it would have been a pain to install as well. With the not exactly parallel rafters, the plywood gussets at the joints, some roofing nails sticking through every piece would have been a custom fit all 24 panels...
      Erik

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Still no pics...

I'm sure you will come up with a great solution. Honestly, with as small as your space is, insulating it too much will make the AC not as effective... (cycles off too fast, won't remove humidity). You are probably best off using that shiny bubble wrap stuff...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Didn't think of that, the AC unit was the largest 110 unit available several years ago. I think it's 18000 BTU. It'll pull 14.9 amps on high. All the walls are still just T1-11 siding, and a plywood floor, single pane window, lots of holes. There's still plenty to keep it hot.

The reflectix does make a difference, not as big as I expected, but it is very noticible. I took a few pics with my phone yesterday, but they came out very blurry. It had problems focusing correctly. I'll try to get some better ones later today.
          Erik

Comment

• 3thumbs
            Established Member
            • Oct 2008
            • Northern Colorado
            • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

I put bubble wrap on the inside of my west facing aluminum garage doors, and it really helped. In the afternoon sun, the garage would easily get up to over a hundred, and now its a good 15 degrees cooler. Much better in the winter too.
            DM

Comment

• gnal41
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2009
              • central Indiana
              • bt3000

Speaking of space shuttle cockpit - an old co-worker sent me this link!

... mouse click on cockpit picture and move mouse in any direction to scan shuttle cockpit.

http://360vr.com/2011/06/22-discovery-flight-deck-opf_6236/index.html

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by gnal41
                Speaking of space shuttle cockpit - an old co-worker sent me this link!

... mouse click on cockpit picture and move mouse in any direction to scan shuttle cockpit.

http://360vr.com/2011/06/22-discovery-flight-deck-opf_6236/index.html
                Thanks for sharing that!

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Some photos; I'd explain some of them, but that was several Guinnesses ago...
                  Attached Files
                  Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Erik, why is the shop vac on the roof? I know you said that this was after several guiness, but?? :P
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

Hehe, it's a normal thing. I can't just leave it out on the ground. Seymour, my only male, thinks it is his. He'll mark it often if he sees me using it. Especially if I go inside for more then 5 minutes and not threaten him with death before I go in. There's not too many things worse than grabbing a vac attachment that has been sitting for a while in a cup of his urine.

It usually goes inside the short storage addon. I was using the sawhorses and other things earlier. It's prety light without the blower motor on it.
                      Last edited by pelligrini; 07-23-2011, 02:34 PM.
                      Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

ohhhh..... bad dog :O Are they hounds?

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

Yes, mostly, well, at least 50%. Two of them are came from a full blooded basset I had that got loose in '98. No one knows who or what the pop was. I'm guessing he had a lot of Lab in him. The other 3 are the same as the first two. One, Tozo (Italian for stubby), ended up with some really short bassett legs.Their mom and dad is their aunt and uncle too.

I'm calling 'em Lassetts...
                          Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

LOL nice

Comment

• gsmittle
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                              • BT 3100

Two questions: is that a leg vise on your workbench? What did you use to make it? And are the canines Bench Dogs?

OK, that's three.

g.
                              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                              Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...