• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Yep, I put a leg vise on the right leg of my Roubo styled bench. I do like it, allthough I use my vice on the left end a lot more. There's a shot of the bench screw in this thread. It's a pretty simple construction. I laminated 3 pieces of 3/4" red oak for the chop and used a piece of maple for the parallel guide and a piece of oak dowel for the pin. There's a few more photos of it with a SYP chop prototype here.. Post 9 of that thread has a good shot of it off the bench.

Bench Dogs, nope, but they have eaten some Bench Dog products and some other plastic bench dogs.
    Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Erik, with your use of the bench for a couple of years, tell me why you get more use out of the left vise? I thought the leg vise was the hottest thing since slice bread when I first saw it, is it unnecessary?
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

While I really like the leg vice, and I wouldn't want to not have it, the Wilton on the left end is used more often. Although the Wilton is a bit easier to use, it gets more use because of where it is. It extends all the way to the end of the bench. My dog holes are in line with it and the Wilton has a pop up dog. I do most of my work on the left side of the bench.

The leg vice is great. Loads of clamping power. Lots of surface area for secure clamping. Having the extra depth on the jaws is good. It's pretty deep across the whole chop down to the screw, and longer pieces can go all the way to the floor to the side of the screw and still be clamped securely. I get less racking on the leg vice clamping long pieces off center than I do with my Wilton.
        Erik

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Love the pics...

Not sure why I was thinking you had a low roof shed. Looks really good...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Good to know. I am still contemplating the 21'st cent. workbench for the shop. I have a pile of 2x syp from a couple of years ago just waiting to get ripped up
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...