• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It's a patio!

There hasn't been much fine woodworking going on around here, but there's been plenty of bullwork and tool usage. Yesterday I finally laid the last patio stone, installed the edging, added paver sand, and compacted the whole thing together. There's still plenty of cleanup and landscaping to be done, but it's officially a patio! This was a long time coming, as it required demolishing an old wooden shed, building a new shed in a new location, removing the swim deck, resurfacing and rebuilding the original deck, adding curved steps to the pool, and digging out the whole patio area. Would you believe me if I said I'm tired?!

It's about 365 square feet (13.5' x 24', with an 6'x7' alcove). There's a 4" gravel base, and a 1.5" to 2" stone dust bed under the stones. The stones are a man-made concrete cobble paver purchased from Lowes. The plan is to build a pergola over most of the area, but there are a few projects ahead of that, so it'll likely be fall at the earliest.

Last edited by Knottscott; 08-14-2011, 09:20 AM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

It looks very nice. I like the stone & the pattern you used. What did you use for the edging?

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

It looks great Scott. Doing it yourself is a major PITA, but you can look at what you did and what you accomplished. If I was only younger.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by jking
        It looks very nice. I like the stone & the pattern you used. What did you use for the edging?
        I used a product that HD sells called Easy Diamond Ground Edging:

Cman, I was definitely younger when I started this than I am now....sure takes the wind out of your sails for a while!
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• lebomike
          Established Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Pennsylvania
          • Ryobi BT3000

I understand TIRED, when we lived in Chambersburg, I put pavers in our driveway, 19" x 27" and an 8" base. It took me three wekends and I said never again. I was also 60 yrs old at the time. Was stiff for weeks,LOL.
          "The power of kindness is immense. It is nothing less, really, than the power to change the world."

Comment

• charliex
            • Mar 2004
            • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
            • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Great work and very nice. Too bad you are in NY and not Rochester, MN. I could bring smoked pork chops and some long necks and help you christen it.
            I did a small 11' x 12' at my last place, laying was not bad, digging out for the fill about did me in.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Scott, you did a really nice job!
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

That turned out great. Brings back memories of my install. The skin on my fingertips is just growing back.

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                  That turned out great. Brings back memories of my install. The skin on my fingertips is just growing back.
                  Geez, can I identify with that! I worked the first hour or so with no gloves, then got smart...I went to wash my face later, and it felt like I was washing with 60 grit sandpaper! It even wore through thick leather gloves pretty quick!

Thanks for the comments gang.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I couldn't get a good grip on my pavers with gloves. I read a tip online that
                    suggested wrapping your fingertips with the adhesive tape used for bandages.
                    The white cloth backed stuff. That worked pretty well for me unless they
                    got wet when I used the stone cutter.

I also really like the pics you posted on Woodnet. The curved steps down to
                    your pool were a nice touch.

Comment

Working...