• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Nuther Computer Issue Thread

Hi gang....I need some help from your collective knowledge. Our main PC recently started running slower when using the internet, sometimes locking up and unable to perform the intended function. It's an older Dell GX280 Pentium 4 era PC running Windows XP. It's the main PC of two in our house, and this one is hooked directly to the router. The 2nd PC that uses a wireless adapter to intercept the router signal still works fine, so I don't think the issue is the internet itself. We've got the paid version of AVG anti-virus that's updated and runs daily, there's a firewall, and we occasionally run Malwarebytes just to be sure. No viruses get detected from these scans. I've tried doing a system restore, but it's never able to successfully restore the date chosen, even in safemode. Up until recently, the system restore had worked. It's been running fine until recently. I've emptied the recycle bin, defragged, removed lesser used software, updated Adobe, etc.

Any thoughts?
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

first thing i usually do is launch task manager (right click on blue bar at bottom or ctrl-alt-del)
    then look at performance tab (how much % CPU used). if it seems high i.e. consistently 80-90-100%, then I look at the processes tab, click on CPU tab to sort by the highest CPU utilization and see whats running more than 50% CPU. If I don't recognize the app that's taking a lot of CPU then I'll google it by name to see what it is and if it makes sense that it should be running (i.e. a normal windows service or a known virus). Chances are that IE is sucking the CPU cycles, then maybe you need to reinstall IE or another version and or use FireFox or Chrome.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-24-2011, 07:19 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks Loring! I hadn't thought of reinstalling Firefox, so I did that. There were some add-ons that weren't compatible so I removed most of them, and updated others. We'll see if that helps!
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Man, I hope you don't have what I've got. On Tuesday my computer started acting weird- being slow and re-directing me to sites I didn't input. Then I got a pop up for XP Internet Security 2012. I googled it, and found out it's a pretty nasty virus.

It blocks task manager, and many other programs from openening, and trys to get you to buy their software. Well I think I got it removed, but I'm still having issues. I've run multiple sweeps with an updated Norton anti-virus, and Malwarebytes, and I'm still getting redirects and programs won't open. But nothing is showing up on the sweeps from either program. So I'm dumping all of my files onto a USB hard drive and I'll be doing a fresh format + reinstall as soon as everything is backed up. Hopefully nothing tranfers to the external drive, and I can remove it if it does...

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Quite often with older machines it's also a memory problem, or lack thereof.

If the available Physical Memory on the performance tab in your Task Manager is low you're going to get a big slowdown. While you're in task manager on the processes tab open up the 'Select Columns' from view. I like having CPU time, Mem Usage, Peak Mem Usage and VM size. I can see what's all running and how many rescources it's using.

I like using MSconfig too and killing unnecessary services and startup programs.
          Erik

Comment

• parnelli
            • Aug 2004
            • bt3100

Originally posted by Knottscott
            Hi gang....I need some help from your collective knowledge. Our main PC recently started running slower when using the internet, sometimes locking up and unable to perform the intended function. It's an older Dell GX280 Pentium 4 era PC running Windows XP.
            Any thoughts?
            Sounds like you've got something to me. A P4 and XP are just fine for things like browsing, and a sudden change doesn't lend itself to an outdated underperforming system.

My personal preference is Kaspersky. I'd uninstall AVG, throw the 30 day free trial on there, change the settings to "full paranoia" mode and give it a scan. It'll probably take a VERY long time.

This is typically one of the first things I'll do when I have a friend with a system acting up. Usually the day before I go over there just so I know what I'm dealing with...

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

This is strictly third hand info, but I read somewhere that your firewall or anti virus can stop system restore from working? Maybe someone else here knows more about that...
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Another good tip is that Firefox likes to collect Java console extensions. Disable all but the most recent one for better performance.

When your paid version of AVG is done, or preferably before, grab Microsoft Security Essentials. Absolutely free, and one of the best ones out there.
                I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• mpc
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Cypress, CA, USA.
                  • BT3000 orig 13amp model

One thing many malware/virus infections try to do is to re-direct common web URLs to either oblivion or more commonly their own pages... which mimic the real pages initially but are full of even more infections. How? By polluting a little-known Windows file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

This basically is a local URL to TCP/IP address database. Marlware/virus programs add entries for Norton, AVG, Avira, etc. that mis-direct either you or your anti-virus program's Update function. This is a simple plain-text file that you can edit in Notepad, Wordpad, etc. Eyeball it for entries like Norton, AVG, etc. to see if yours has been corrupted. If so, just comment out or delete those lines and reboot.

mpc

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I tried to install the free Kapersky download, but it's not compatible with ALWIL/Avast software. It requires removing them, but they're not in my Add/Remove program so I can't get at them. I tried to delete them from the regedit function, but the PC won't allow that either. I think I'm just about PC literate enough to do some damage, because I can find my way into trouble but have no idea what I'm accomplishing or how to get out of trouble! Oye! Sometimes I really hate computers.

Comment

• bthorne
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2007
                      • Ruckersville, VA
                      • Craftsman 21829

I would suggest trying a post over at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/. The forum members on their malware response team do a good job of walking other users through finding and fixing possible infections like you might have. They're free, not condescending, and generally all around good people. Their posts have assisted me in removing a lot of stuff from computers at the office, including that nasty XP Internet Security.
                      --
                      Bryan

Comment

• Knottscott
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Rochester, NY.
                        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Bryan, I just may give that website a shot when I get a chance. This is a "honey do" list vacation week, and I really need to focus on the deck and patio while I've got the chance, but the next heavy rain or hot muggy day, I might just make that post!

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Redford MI.
                          • Craftsman 21829

There are many reasons a computer can slow down. One of the chief among them is to have to many running programs second and a direct result of the first is to little hard drive space so that a system does not have enough paging space.

My suite of security software for windows XP is......

Spybot S&D (especially the tea timer*)
                          AVG (do not allow the install of the browser toolbar)
                          Malwarebytes
                          ZoneAlarm (if you have dialup or if don't have a router/firewall box between you and the internet)
                          hijackthis

Hijackthis should be used with extreme caution. It is a program that allows you to remove programs that run at windows startup.

* tea timer is a program that monitors changes to the registry and allows you to allow or deny any change made.

In 8 years of using those tools both installed on friends computers and at the company I work for I had only 3 intrusions all by browser drive by occurrences. Make sure to update your browser when updates become available. Use Firefox and Thunderbird and not Internet Explorer or Outlook express.

Never ever install more than one anti virus or connection monitoring suite at a time. This will slow down your computer more than anything. Also never ever use McAfee it is a dog and a sure fire way to slow down your computer by 25% at least.

Above all else be proactive and not reactive run those scans when they are due to run don't put them off. UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE. Use the most recent anti virus data bases.
                          Last edited by sparkeyjames; 06-25-2011, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• crybdr
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2009
                            • Lake Mills, WI
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I run AVG free - with automatic daily updates, or as they are available.
                            I also run Malwarebytes occasionally.

I've had some NASTY viruses show up despite my caution - which some may say is 'not enough', which is fair.

At one point - when everything was shutting down and I was ready to 'wipe' the drive (I have backups of ALL important files), my IT guy at work suggested trying a 'rootkit' killer from Kaspersky....it's free. It's called TDSSKiller and can be found here.

It fixed the problem for me - I can't say it will do the same for you.

When my system has been infected it makes me very uneasy - to the point where I shut down internet access until I can assess and solve the problem. Who knows what is going on with your machine while it is chugging away....maybe I'm being alarmist, but cutting the free two-way connection to the outside world seems like the first step once you realize there's something amiss. Then, using 'known-good' machines, download the appropriate software and transfer to the 'suspect' machine - one way only. It takes a lot of time - but in the end, after all of the 're-scans' and 're-scans' with various updated softwares....I'm comfortable that the fix is in place.

I'm not an IT guy now - but played one in college for the university during the Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 changeover. Back then, there was ALOT of setup and configuring in order to make ANYTHING work - which felt a little safer. Now, everything happens automatically - and works - which makes me a little uneasy with my home systems.

Good luck solving your issue....in the end, it's an 'electrical' problem.....nothing like solving woodworking problems.

Comment

• Knottscott
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Rochester, NY.
                              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Anyone have any suggestions how to remove Avast 4.0 and Avast 5 from my PC? When I tried to download the Kaspersky program, it stated that ALWIL Software Avast 4.0 and Avast 5 were installed, and that Kaspersky is not compatible with them. AFAIK, we're not using any AVAST programs and they don't show up on my Add/Remove selections, so I can't get rid of them using that tool.

Comment

Working...