• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

How to remove heating oil from a basement tank

Hi gang. My neighbor has switched from heating oil to natural gas and has ~ 100 gallons of oil left in his tank. Any ideas of how he can retrieve/sell/donate it?

TIA!
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I've never had to mess with oil, but I'd first contact the company from whom I bought it from.

Pumping it out wouldn't be a problem, but having something to put it in might be.
    Erik

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

I would suggest that he give the oil away with the condition that the oil and tank disappear. That way both the oil and tank are out of the way and disposing of an old oil tank is sometimes a problem or expense. Whomsoever takes the oil will have a way to pump it out.

Because of contamination many oil companies will not take the oil back but may move it for you if you pay a fee and have somewhere to move it to.

Bill

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

Probably a lot of sludge, water and other contaminates at the bottom of the tank.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

whenever this has been confronted on this old house, a local company, specializing in oil tank removal, has been called in to both remove the remaining oil and dispose of the tank, in accordance with local building and environmental codes. with the penalties for improper disposal of environmentally sensitive materials being so severe, especially here in NY, i wouldn't do anything even remotely questionable.
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks for the great suggestions guys.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• drillman88
              • Dec 2007
              • Southeast
              • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

We use a company called Safety Kleen at work to come in and pump out waste oil from catch tanks. If they aren't around locally, I'm sure there are some similar companies in your area.
              I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• natausch
                Established Member
                • Aug 2009
                • Aurora, IL
                • BT3000 - 15A

Another vote for suck it up and pay for proper removal. Posting "Oil and Tank free to a good home" will not end well.

Comment

Working...