X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reptile
    Handtools only
    • Nov 2010

10-in-1 Woodworking Machine Item # 96067

This forum has saved me money so I joined to pass this closeout along. I did a search and didn't see any threads about it. Normally $2500 on sale for $750. Might be an option for people with limited space.

Click on image to zoom

10-in-1 Woodworking Machine

Item # 96067 Manufacturer: Central Machinery Industrial

Only: $2,499.99
    Sale: $749.97

Shipping
    Economy Ground Shipping available.

Availability: In stock
    Leaves the warehouse in 1-2 business days.

Quick Overview

Customer Rating: Be the first to review the Central Machinery Industrial 96067
    Description of Central Machinery Industrial 96067
    Get 10 essential shop tools in just 12 square feet of space! Our 10-In-1 Woodworking Machine does the job of seven woodworking machines and three metal working machines. Includes stand with built-in storage.
    • 10" table saw
    • Flex-free disc sander
    • High quality horizontal boring machine
    • 17" x 34" woodturning lathe
    • 17" x 5" vertical drill press
    • Powerful overhead router
    • Stationary shaper
    • 17" x 34" metalworking lathe
    • Vertical metal milling machine
    • Metalworking drill press
    • Rust-resistant chrome-plated posts for smooth movement
    • Overweight Item subject to $89.95 additional Freight Charge

Comes with rip fence, miter gauge, lathe toolrest, drawbar and wrenches, extension table, saw guard, saw blade and arbor, lathe tailstock, lathe centers, chuck and key, table insert, sanding discs, and manual. Motor: 120V, 60 Hz, single phase, 10.7 amp startup 1.5 HP. Variable spindle speed: 24.5 to 2560 RPM. Tailstock: MT2. Table size: 23" L x 17" W x 2" thick. 2-1/2" dust port. Overall dimensions: 68.5" x 21.6" x 40.75"
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

10-in-one woodworking machine...

Not being critical here...but it resembles a ShopSmith to me. Even at that
    price , I think I would rather have a ShopSmith than an offshore knockoff,
    especially if you needed some specialized part or attachment. Don't think
    that an Asian import would be very helpful in that area.

Most people here and other forums agree that these multi-purpose machines
    do several different things, but only one or two functions well, the other one's
    are leaving a lot to be desired and the tablesaw function is one of them.
    Most,( a lot of ) people who buy these machines, find out, it's a lot of trouble
    and some headache switching from function to another to do the necessary
    woodworking for each project. I, for one like and use a dedicated, separate,
    machines in mt shop....and that is a personal choice for me, not everyone!

A good quality tablesaw(at least it is for me anyway) is the center of my woodworking and is the one machine that I feel needs to be an anchor point
    to start almost every project in the shop. My .02 cents worth.......eezlock

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I have to agree with eezlock. The machines like that function well as a disc sander, align bore machine, drill press, and lathe. The add on attachments for a jointer and band saw are in the same category as most bench top machines. As a table saw they are marginal at best and, IMO, dangerous due to the lack of table area.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Sid
        Established Member
        • Apr 2004
        • Bloomington, IL, USA.
        • Craftsman 22124

Can't be positive it's the same machine, but it sure looks like, and matches specs of the SuperShop, one of several machines made by Smithy: http://www.smithy.com/index_inside.p...type=supershop

The SuperShop is like a Shopsmith on steroids--bigger, heavier, spring assisted lift into the drill press configuration, rack and pinion movement of the head and table, R8 collet tool holders, and electronic speed control over a much wider range (on the low end) than the Shopsmith.

Smithy bought the rights to the original Fox SuperShop, which was made in USA with English dimensions. Smithy makes it in Asia with metric dimensions.

If I knew this was a relabeled Smithy SuperShop (compatible parts & accessories) and had space only for this one tool, I'd grab it in a second at that price. I'd even consider it just for the lathe, drill press, horizontal boring and 12"disk sander if I needed those.

Sid
        Last edited by Sid; 11-12-2010, 08:49 PM. Reason: Add last sentence

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Smithy-HF: relabel or copy?

Always an interesting question for this sleuth.

I put the smithy ad picture and the HF manual picture side by side and they look like exactly the same picture, just touched up with the label - The view angle perspective is the same, even the shadows and reflections are the same. Even the visible swivel castor and the handwheel positions are rotated to exactly the same angle - would be an unlikely coincidence for different photographs.
          The ad copy features look the same.

One thing hard to copy is the weight - Smithy claims 480 pound and HF 456 pounds are close enough. the diff could be shipping vs actual. A cost-cutting knock off would usually be quite a bit lower with less substantial castings and thinner sheet metal and tubing (things that are hard to see).

Unless HF literally stole the ad copy (it been done) and stole the photo, it looks like the same machine to me - a relabel.

It's always hard to tell about "knockoffs", they can range from
          1. copied forgeries (may be hit and miss as to performance depending upon how well it was copied; the worst copies look remarkably similar but perform like Crap).
          2. units the contracted Asian factories secretly overran and forgot to tell the distributor about -and then secretly and possibly illegally got redistributed via surplus or import specialty shops. These are identical to actual production units A third possibility is that
          3. the original distributor is simply and perhaps clandestinely getting rid of excess inventory or testing some alternate manufacturing or exploring other distribution venues (without using their name). This allows them to sell them off at a lower price without totally ruining the street value of their labeled product. A fourth possibility is that
          4. the design is not proprietary to the distributor whose name we know best (e.g. Smithy, or Craftsman) but to a third party OEM tool company - who designed and manufactured it and for various reasons - now is offering it through another distributor with different labelling. The reasons could be anything from time expiration of an exclusive right with the original distributor or perhaps contractual failure by the original distributor to sell enough units to retain exclusivity (this would have been spelled out in the original OEM contract e.g. XYZ Machine Corp grants Sears Roebuck Inc an exclusive license to this model. Sears must purchase xxx units from XYZ Machine Corp within two years of execution of this contract or the exclusive license reverts to XYZ and model may be sold to other distributors.) This protects an OEM who thinks they have a good design from poor marketing efforts by the original distributor - if its a good product the exclusive rights give the distributor an incentive to sell more and guarantees the OEM a certain production rate.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-13-2010, 07:15 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Reptile
            Handtools only
            • Nov 2010

I found this information saying both the Smithy and Harbor Freight are being made in China(what isn't these days) and are copies of the Fox Super Shop. It's hard to infer if he's saying they're both made in the same factory just with different labels glued on.

http://www.tool-hunter.com/shopsmith...th-and-others-

Fox Super Shop (Smithy, Central Machinery and others) and some information on Tony Fox

Yes, there have been several Shopsmith clones or knock-offs, but in this section we've got a genuinely original combination woodworking tool which was inspired by the lathe-based Shopsmith design. The Fox Super Shop was invented by Tony Fox, and in additional to information on his tool I've also attached some information on Mr. Fox's other famous endeavor, the FoxJet. Anyway, the Super Shop design is now produced in China and is sold under the name Smithy Super Shop and the Harbor Freight Central Machinery 10-in-1 Woodworking Machine (below).
            Visit the posts attached below for more details.

I realize most people dislike these all in one type machines but some people own and enjoy them due to space restrictions. I know my uncle has a ShopSmith since space is at a premium where he lives and he still manages to finish a lot of projects. My workshop is only 11x11 so I move my equipment outside whenever I do any work.

Comment

• AlanWS
              Established Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Shorewood, WI.

Is it also possible that some units or runs of units failed to meet specs, and these are seconds being sold under another label?
              Alan

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by AlanWS
                Is it also possible that some units or runs of units failed to meet specs, and these are seconds being sold under another label?
                its unlikely that a complex machine of this sort would be built and found out of spec and then sold as a "second"

More likely, during assembly any defective parts would be replaced as the cost of an individual part would be much less than the whole machine.
                Defective machine parts can be reworked in some cases (e.g. undersized holes can be reamed out) so it needn't be sold with bad parts but the parts replaced or reworked. Out of spec can usually be fixed cheaper than selling in an unusable condition. A spec is usually set so that the device that fails would be unusable for purpose, there's no reason to set specs tighter than that except to run the cost up!

If a spec makes a unit fail but engineering determination is that the spec failure does not affect usability, performance or cosmetics then most manufacturers can issue a "variance" which permits units to be passed. Those would not be a reason to sell at a discount.

Maybe you are used to seeing set of water damaged router bits or boxes sold as seconds. In this case the cost of repackaging or cleanup exceeds most of the value of the bits, being the major component involved, unlike a complex machine.

I have noted in the past that automobile companies tend to scrap autos that are damaged in shipment rather than to try and sell them at any discount. No reputable manufacturer wants items that would be substandard that might be remotely confused with their products to be out there.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-13-2010, 11:37 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008

My Father bought a Shopsmith and said it was the worst idea he ever had. When I asked him what was so bad he told me what a pita it was to change over to another machine everytime he wanted to do something other than what was its current use.But as he got older and had to move into smaller working quarters it made sense to him and he still tinkered around with woodworking till late in his yrs. But I know that had he been able to have a larger shop rather than a small basement that he moved into he would stayed away from these types of tools. They do have their place and I believe its for folks just like him at that stage where he no longer had the room or facilitys to maintain a larger shop.I,m soon to inherit his and will be using it primarily as a wood lathe which it seems to be quit capable of.

Comment

• kramer katt
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • SO CAL, USA
                    • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

$100 shipping $73 sales tax to CA
                    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
                    --Albert Einstein

Comment

• emcojord

Supershop or HF machine?

The 10-in-1 sold by HF is for the most part the same as the Supershop, the main difference I can see by comparing specs with my Supershop is the Supershop has a variable DC motor versus the 120 vac motor on the HF machine. I primarily use my Supershop for building deck parts( rails,balasters) and ripping deck planks with the table saw. It is a very good machine weighing in at almost 500lbs. You don't have to be concerned withit rocking any where. At my age (63) I have no trouble moving it around, it rolls easily, and setting various features is very simple. The torsion assist makes verticle drilling a breeze. E-mail support to smitty is useless, I have called a couple of times and always get someone (in American english). It is frustating that all we can buy are Chinese items, but I bet if you look close enough at the ShopSmith you will find Chinese parts, especially on the new Mark 7 electronics. But, what can you do.......Just keep working with wood, you know where that comes from.

Comment

• Sid
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2004
                        • Bloomington, IL, USA.
                        • Craftsman 22124

The manual for the HF machine is available for download. The electrical parts list and diagram on pages 58 and 59 show that both the head motor and the carriage motor plug into an SCR (silicon-controlled rectifier) module, indicating that both of the motors are variable DC, same as the SuperShop.

Sid

Comment

• ivwshane
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Sacramento CA

I wish I had the space! This looks like a pretty sweet deal.

Comment

• themachine
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2006
                            • Cincinnati, OH
                            • BT3100, General Intl. 220

This item must be gone. It does not have a home page with description, and when you add it to your cart, you get a message saying your cart is empty.

Comment

• rhgund
                              Handtools only
                              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Reptile
                              This forum has saved me money so I joined to pass this closeout along. I did a search and didn't see any threads about it. Normally $2500 on sale for $750. Might be an option for people with limited space.

Click on image to zoom

Item # 96067 Manufacturer: Central Machinery Industrial

Only: $2,499.99
                              Sale: $749.97

Shipping
                              Economy Ground Shipping available.

Availability: In stock
                              Leaves the warehouse in 1-2 business days.

Quick Overview

Customer Rating: Be the first to review the Central Machinery Industrial 96067
                              Description of Central Machinery Industrial 96067
                              Get 10 essential shop tools in just 12 square feet of space! Our 10-In-1 Woodworking Machine does the job of seven woodworking machines and three metal working machines. Includes stand with built-in storage.
                              • 10" table saw
                              • Flex-free disc sander
                              • High quality horizontal boring machine
                              • 17" x 34" woodturning lathe
                              • 17" x 5" vertical drill press
                              • Powerful overhead router
                              • Stationary shaper
                              • 17" x 34" metalworking lathe
                              • Vertical metal milling machine
                              • Metalworking drill press
                              • Rust-resistant chrome-plated posts for smooth movement
                              • Overweight Item subject to $89.95 additional Freight Charge

Comes with rip fence, miter gauge, lathe toolrest, drawbar and wrenches, extension table, saw guard, saw blade and arbor, lathe tailstock, lathe centers, chuck and key, table insert, sanding discs, and manual. Motor: 120V, 60 Hz, single phase, 10.7 amp startup 1.5 HP. Variable spindle speed: 24.5 to 2560 RPM. Tailstock: MT2. Table size: 23" L x 17" W x 2" thick. 2-1/2" dust port. Overall dimensions: 68.5" x 21.6" x 40.75"
                              Where can I buy this 10-in-1 woodworking machine?
                              ghcmgndrsn@yahoo.com or 281-364-0453

Comment

Working...