• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

High efficiency dryer, regular washer?

I have a dryer that needs a part (I know a belt, need to check the rollers), as it broke the other day, I just ran up to the laundromat (helps to have one five blocks away). I looked up the part, and it was currently out of stock. No biggy, but when I was doing pickups for work, I stopped right by my habitat restore and went in. They had high efficiency models for $150 new. Can these work with my regular washer? (wondering if I should upgrade while I can get it cheap)

Thanks
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • garymuto
    Established Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Encinitas, CA
    • Delta Cabinet Saw

I bought a washer and dryer a couple of years ago and the dryer had no energy label. I was told that they are all pretty much the same (within the same fuel type) and that they haven't improved much. The real improvements have been wih the washers, mostly by using less water. The washer doesn't work as well as the old style... probably not enough water. I switched to using the Towel cycle (figuring they program for more water with that cycle) for most things and the performace has really improved. I still have to spot treat even the lightest stains and there are many with a 22 month old around.

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

Ditto re: "high efficiency" - only way I can see being more efficient is including moisture sensors to avoid overdrying.

SHMBO and I upgraded from an old electric dryer to a gas one- found at our local Habitat store for $150 new. incredible bargain, and works great. Gas IS more efficient, $ per BTU, and IMO, the only way to go.

Only reasons why it wouldn't "work" with your current washer are:
      1) aesthetic- (color or design mismatch)- but it is a laundry room, after all!
      2) size- if too wide, may not fit next to washer
      3) insufficient capacity (an extra large washer load might not fit into small dryer all at once- never seen this a problem, personally
      4) stackability- if different brands, wouldn't be able to stack on front loading washer.

In none are issues, I'd say go for it. By the time you're into belts, pulleys, etc, you're already a good way there, money-wise.

Comment

• pacwind3
        Established Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Vancouver, WA
        • Bosch 4100

I see no reason you couldn't get the dryer. I can say our dryer only runs about a half hour to get the clothes dry because the he washer's spin cycle get the clothes much dryer before they enter the dryer. So the washer is the key to the dryer doing less work.

Comment

• frumper64
          Established Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Garland, Tx, USA.

The only downside I could see involves depth of the machine. We looked at HE units last year when we had to replace the washer and found that most of them were deeper front to back than the old machines. The way our laundry room is laid out, that would have prevented the door from opening, so we passed and went with a regular top loader.
          Jim
          64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• aggrex
            Established Member
            • Jan 2009
            • PA
            • Ridgid

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            I have a dryer that needs a part (I know a belt, need to check the rollers), as it broke the other day, I just ran up to the laundromat (helps to have one five blocks away). I looked up the part, and it was currently out of stock. No biggy, but when I was doing pickups for work, I stopped right by my habitat restore and went in. They had high efficiency models for $150 new. Can these work with my regular washer? (wondering if I should upgrade while I can get it cheap)s
            If it's not mandatory in your household that the washer and dryer match then the new HE model will work assuming the capacity is what you need. Good HE washers do spin a lot of the excess water out to make the dryer work faster (less energy used). HE dryers are only slightly more efficient than older models. If your old dryer needs a belt ($15-30) it might be worth a shot before dumping it. Be sure to remove all the old lint in the dryer during the repair. I'm surprised my old dryer never ignited. Mine needed a belt and then the motor burned out ($130) thus the decision to buy new was ez ($250)

Comment

• sscherin
              • Dec 2003
              • Kennewick, WA, USA.

I have to agree. The HE washer is the real key to the saving.. They use a high speed spin cycle that gets more water out of the clothes....

If the electronics hold up I'd expect a HE washer to last much longer too..

They don't have transmissions like the old top loaders.. An electronically controlled brushless motor with a belt drive to the wash tub is about all there is to the drive system..

Maybe it's just us but we find if we stuff the washer as full as we can it will clean and extract better then a light load.. I've noticed that with light loads it will waste a bunch of time slowly turning the drum back and forth trying to find a good balance for the load.. It'll do a slow spin.. then kick it up a bit.. if all is running smoothly it'll take off for a max speed run..
              William's Law--
              There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
              cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

Working...