• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Vertical Plywood Storage Rack

It's interesting to see how much our plans change from start to finish. I originally wanted to build this:
    but after realizing my size constraints and current shop conditions, I ended up with this

I know, its a stud wall.... The planned item was really cool, but I didn't have the height for it nor could I figure an easy way of installing casters and still keep in under 100.5".

I have come to the conclusion that waiting to build the ideal shop means basically for me not building at all! I will just have to start making do, no move everything out into a pod, epoxying the floors, etc. LOL Hopefully by organizing the shop with a dedicated sheet good storage and then lumber rack, I will find enough floor space to perhaps renovate the rest of the wreck!
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I think your fixed version would be a whole lot safer. Something that tall and heavy with such a high center of gravity is a disaster in waiting. It's an efficent use of space, but I could see one little wood chip creating a lot of havock.

I can see how doing that with an 8'-4" ceiling would be difficult. If you really had to you could mount the casters on the sides with maybe an inch clearance between the cab and floor. Hope all your lights are recessed.
    Erik

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I see nothing wrong with your version - it is useful, functional, and it needs to fit the space available. I have done similarly lots of times. Good job! How much ply are you able to fit there?

At the same time, I do see wrong in the 'WOOD' design : those castors are ridiculously small, and I daresay practically useless - if not right-away, definitely after a couple of months.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by radhak
        I see nothing wrong with your version - it is useful, functional, and it needs to fit the space available.

The fixed version works well. It does get a bit problematic to keep it clean. If you fill it up it does get a bit tough to pull out a single sheet. If you tape off the saw teeth of a regular pliers, and can get a grip below the center line, the sheet will slide right out.

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

I'll need to work on something similar very soon. All the small bits are piling up on the floor and it's getting more difficult to wheel the saw out.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Shep
            • Nov 2008
            • Columbus, OH
            • Hitachi C10FL

I started making do a long time ago. There never seems to be enough time or money to get my small shop they way I want it. Of course now I have a lot of jigs that are the result of making do. They still work fine, just don't look to fancy. Most of the rest of the shop is the same way. Every day I find a new way of getting the project done.
            -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

I like your solution better. Think about how much money you saved?

I found it funny that to store your plywood in this nice neat box, you'd have
              to go out and buy 5 more sheets of plywood! When the wheels catch on a
              pebble and the whole thing comes falling down on you, you've got 5 sheets
              plus whatever else you have in there sitting on top of you.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                When the wheels catch on a
                pebble and the whole thing comes falling down on you, you've got 5 sheets
                plus whatever else you have in there sitting on top of you.
                That was my thinking, either on top of you or on top of your tools. That mobile rack full of sheetgoods would be super heavy.

Storing full sheets on end does make better use of space, but I find them hard to handle like that. I used to have a bunch in my garage that way. I also broke a few lights moving them around too. I now prefer to store them on edge. I can also use my gorilla gripper to move them easily.
                Erik

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

On wheels would be nice if you couldn't get the sheets out where you stored it. I might put wheels or a track on and have it swing out from my wall and face the door.
                  I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

That is a heck of a good idea. Honestly though, I rarely, if ever have much sheet material to store. I tend to buy sheet goods as I need them. What I need to store is cut offs from said already purchased sheet goods. Typically half a sheet or smaller... I would take advantage of sale pricing on cabinet grade ply if I had a rack like that though...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      The fixed version works well. It does get a bit problematic to keep it clean. If you fill it up it does get a bit tough to pull out a single sheet. If you tape off the saw teeth of a regular pliers, and can get a grip below the center line, the sheet will slide right out.
                      That's a great idea! Wish I'd thought of it. Or maybe you could hire the Gorilla Grip girl…
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Capacity is about 22, 3/4" thick sheets as built. The idea was to add another wall on the other side and then a partition to break up full sheet storage from off cuts like in the picture. I had to stop at what I built because I intend to remove the existing job site built cabinets that have been in the garage since day 1 and "create" the shop wall. Talk about anxiety, I have the builders block for over a year on this...

If I boxed out the storage I would have to disassemble it before I can tear out the cabs, why do double work. After I move all my ply, I will be able to access the wall I intend to build my lumber storage racks.

C-man's right, I was thinking of putting some formica on the bottom or even plexiglass to help pieces slide out.

Shep, have you found that your work suffers at all from having to "make do" or has it made you more creative?

atgcpaul - I had to chuckle at that one too, 5 sheets to store....yep, more sheets, lol. It looked nice though....

I was a little leery about the caster thing too...but you know, it was in a magazine

As for sheets goods, my shop seems to be littered with them, but never the right size and I always find myself in need of one or the other size and never have them on hand. My ability to get them home whole is also very limited so I have to plan ahead and buy in bulk to make it worthwhile.
                        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...