Doh! How do I remove cooking oil from concrete pavers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Doh! How do I remove cooking oil from concrete pavers?

My trash bag sprung a leak from the kitchen to the trashcan outside. There's a streak of cooking oil on my concrete pavers now. How do I get rid of it? Dishwashing soap? The oil has already soaked in. I'm not talking drips. I'm talking streaks.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'd think that a degreasing soap followed with a methanol rinse might help, but if it has sunk into the surface you might try plaster of paris. Mix plaster of paris with water to a paste. To each cup of the mixture you make, add one teaspoon of degreasing dishwashing liquid and mix. Apply the plaster of paris over the stains, allow it to dry completely, and then sweep it away. It should suck the oil of the concrete.
    Last edited by Knottscott; 06-20-2010, 07:34 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I've used spray brake cleaner (from any auto parts store) to clean fresh oil drips/spills on the concrete driveway. As long as the oil is less than a few days old this seems to get the stain out. Tide laundry detergent works pretty well too on oil/grease. Make a slurry, slop it onto the stain, and let it soak/absorb the oil.

good luck.

mpc

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

Cooking oil is a different deal than automotive oil. I have cleaned cooking oil off concrete with a solution of lye water.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• iceman61
          • Oct 2007
          • West TN
          • Bosch 4100-09

When workers clean up after large crude oil spills, they use Dawn dishwashing liquid. I don't know how well this will work on porous paver tiles but if you let it soak in it might bring everything back up.

Comment

• vanguard
            Established Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Brighton, MI, USA.
            • Ridgid TS2400SL

I would try a concrete absorber/degreaser. The BORG has one that you pour one in a liquid form and wait for it to dry. You then sweep it up. It's worked well for me.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
              • BT3100

spread oil on the others too make a pattern. it'll be easier

Comment

• master53yoda
                Established Member
                • Oct 2008
                • Spokane Washington
                • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I found this on fine woodworking this morning. You might just try some saw dust and let it sit for an hour or two.

Frequent contributor Doug Stowe has found that sawdust absorbs water-borne oil, making it easy to scoop out of the water. Is this the solution BP needs to clean up the mess they've made in the Gulf of Mexico?
                Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Dawn takes grease out of your way...

Seriously. I had a similar thing happen on my sidewalk on trash day. (can had a leak it appears...). Dawn, a garden hose, and a stiff bristle broom to scrub with...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...